[comp.sys.mac] DBase III on a Macintosh

harvey@dtrc.arpa (Harvey) (05/02/89)

Can anyone tell me whether DBase III files for the Macintosh
are compatible with MS-DOS DBase III files.  I have heard rumors
that they are not.  I need to transfer several data bases from
an MS-DOS environment to a Macintosh environment.  How about
FOXBASE?

Any information will be appreciated. If you will send me

Betty Harvey <harvey@dtrc>
David Taylor Research Center

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/03/89)

In article <364@dtix.ARPA> harvey@dtrc.UUCP (Betty Harvey - Code: 1893.5) writes:
#>Can anyone tell me whether DBase III files for the Macintosh
#>are compatible with MS-DOS DBase III files.  I have heard rumors
#>that they are not.  I need to transfer several data bases from
#>an MS-DOS environment to a Macintosh environment.  How about
#>FOXBASE?
#>
#>Any information will be appreciated. If you will send me
#>
#>Betty Harvey <harvey@dtrc>
#>David Taylor Research Center

The safest and relatively easy way to transfer files is
to write an ascii text file using sdf format and upload
it the same way. You can generally do such a transfer
between any two database programs on any machines. The
header of a dBASE file is such a short part of the file
that it isn't worth transferring intact. Some programs
claim to be able to do so but why bother.

Steve Goldfield

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (05/04/89)

In article <364@dtix.ARPA> harvey@dtrc.UUCP (Betty Harvey - Code: 1893.5) writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether DBase III files for the Macintosh
>are compatible with MS-DOS DBase III files.  I have heard rumors
>that they are not.  I need to transfer several data bases from
>an MS-DOS environment to a Macintosh environment.  How about
>FOXBASE?

A friend of mine uses FoxBase+/Mac, and this program is able to share
not just data files, but also programs with MSDOS dBase.  Basically the
language in FoxBase+/Mac is a superset of MSDOS dBase (everything in it+
commands for Mac stuff [windows, buttons, etc]).  dBase Mac will also be
able to share data files, but the language is not 100% compatible, so
you don't have access to the large software base for dBase (too bad).
He also has this downloadable PS font and corresponding BitMap called
IBMKlone, and I don't know whether it's part of Foxbase or not.  It's
basically the complete IBM character set, including character graphics
and all, which is necessary for properly running MSDOS dBase programs that
use these characters.

>Betty Harvey <harvey@dtrc>
>David Taylor Research Center

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde

	"Caesar set out for Egypt at the age of fifty-three
	But Cleopatra's blood was warm, her heart was young and free.
	And every night when Julius said good-night at three o'clock,
	A Roman Engineer was waiting just around the block!"
		-"The MIT Engineers' Drinking Song"

EMail: captkidd@athena.mit.edu
USnail: 407 Memorial Dr., Cambridge, MA 02139
Ph: (617) 494-0330