[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 questions

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) (04/28/89)

Yes, I have one, too.

I am a writer.  I am also a graphic designer.  Unlike most of you on the net,
I do not use MS Word occasionally -- I spend 90% of my time in MS Word, and
the other 10% in Pagemaker.

When I first heard about MS Word, it was said it had complete Desktop
Publishing capabilities.  Cool, I thought, when I graduate, I won't have
to break down and buy pagemaker (I've been using my own copy of Word, and
pagemaker on an appleshare server).

From what I've heard out of previews, MS 4.0 doesn't do nearly as much as it
had intended to do.  What are the DTP features like?  I realize that it
can't have nearly the capability of PM, or even Ready, set, go, but is it
passable?

thanx --

-Laura Lemay
ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu

>When I first heard about MS Word, it was said it had complete Desktop
>Publishing capabilities.  Cool, I thought, when I graduate, I won't have
>to break down and buy pagemaker (I've been using my own copy of Word, and
>pagemaker on an appleshare server).

>From what I've heard out of previews, MS 4.0 doesn't do nearly as much as it
>had intended to do.  What are the DTP features like?  I realize that it
>can't have nearly the capability of PM, or even Ready, set, go, but is it
>passable?

For simple stuff? probably. It's added some things like locking down the
location of graphics and wrapping around them. Nothing that would even
begin to make me consider giving up my layout program. Writing reports,
formal memos, and that sort of stuff -- but any complex design (things
beyond a single text document, beyond two column with some graphics) is
still going to be beyond it.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Bookends. What a wonderful thought.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (04/30/89)

In article <gYK7nty00Uh7Q19X5O@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:
>When I first heard about MS Word, it was said it had complete Desktop
>Publishing capabilities.  Cool, I thought, when I graduate, I won't have
>to break down and buy pagemaker (I've been using my own copy of Word, and
>pagemaker on an appleshare server).
>
>From what I've heard out of previews, MS 4.0 doesn't do nearly as much as it
>had intended to do.  What are the DTP features like?  I realize that it
>can't have nearly the capability of PM, or even Ready, set, go, but is it
>passable?

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I generally like Word's
philosophy and user interface (I said *generally*), but was put off
by a few quirks in version 3. The most serious of these was the
degradation in typing and display speed in some files. (The closest
I could come to explaining this was the use of embedded Postscript
pictures and/or fonts that gave Word trouble, like Helvetica Light,
but I'm not totally convinced.) There were also a few inconsistencies
in the way it handled formatting, such as fractional widths and
not applying changes to styles. OK, in a program this complex I could
tolerate a few quirks. I avoided the pseudo-page-layout features (such
as side-by-side paragraphs) because they were just too awkward to use.
And I waited for version 4.0 ...

Had 4.0 arrived two weeks earlier, I would have completed my book,
which was already in Word 3 format, with it. That would have been a
mistake, in retrospect (having had 4.0 for a couple of weeks now.)
While 4.0 does an admirable job of making the existing features easy
to use, many of its 'fixes' are ad hoc. For example, to speed up
scrolling past embedded pictures (it would take two minutes! to scroll
past some of my diagrams) you now have the option of displaying a
grey box instead of the picture. Not what I had in mind. 4.0 breaks no
new ground, as far as I can tell. The inclusion of an obsolete paint/draw
program (along with an insulting offer to upgrade it for $50) is
pitiable. I'd prefer integrated drawing tools but even a desk accessory
such as Canvas DA or DeskDraw is much more useful to me. Same story
for the add-on thesaurus and 'macro' capability.

Word 4.0 is a fine product, a great *word* processor and perhaps the
ultimate refinement of the original Word concept. But perhaps the real
question is: has it kept up with the competition? (Are we reminded of
Excel?) In contrast, I recently received a demo copy of Nisus, and I'm
very impressed so far. It has page-layout capabilities, integrated
drawing tools, built-in thesaurus and a well-designed user interface
(just a notch above 4.0's). And it's faster and less expensive than
Word. (Almost forgot the built-in macro processing and genuine
regular expression patter-matching. I find these essential for
turning a list of words, for example, into a formatted index. I've
been using QUED/M for this purpose.)

Anyway, I'll probably stick with Word for letters, small manuals, etc.
(I'm using Quark XPress for the book, and it keeps improving by
leaps and bounds. Try getting colour separations out of Word!)
Which is unfortunate, because I like the product and it has the
advantage of having a de facto 'standard' format (e.g., XPress
understands Word documents and styles. Who knows when it will
recognize Nisus? Same for Sonar, which I use to generate indices. Etc.)
4.0 is such a disappointment.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/02/89)

In article <4986@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
(stuff deleted)

>Anyway, I'll probably stick with Word for letters, small manuals, etc.
>(I'm using Quark XPress for the book, and it keeps improving by
>leaps and bounds. Try getting colour separations out of Word!)
>Which is unfortunate, because I like the product and it has the
>advantage of having a de facto 'standard' format (e.g., XPress
>understands Word documents and styles. Who knows when it will
>recognize Nisus? Same for Sonar, which I use to generate indices. Etc.)
>4.0 is such a disappointment.

For me, the most attractive feature of Word 4.0 is its Table Editor,
which is easy-to-use, intuitive, and really very elegant.  I'm waiting
for someone to come up with a desk accessory (or, since DAs are rumored
to be going the way of the passenger pigeon, some kind of module) which
duplicates the functionality [if not the Look&Feel :-)] of Word's, and
can be used in the Word Processor Of Your Choice (I guess the way it
would work would be to construct your table in it and insert the finished
thing as a graphic or somesuch into your document), until all the
Word Processors of Everyone's Choice provide a similar facility.  Leonard?

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (05/02/89)

In article <gYK7nty00Uh7Q19X5O@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:

>I do not use MS Word occasionally -- I spend 90% of my time in MS Word, and
>the other 10% in Pagemaker.
>
>From what I've heard out of previews, MS 4.0 doesn't do nearly as much as it
>had intended to do.  What are the DTP features like?  I realize that it
>can't have nearly the capability of PM, or even Ready, set, go, but is it
>passable?

Well, despite my griping about Word 4.0 here on the net, it is indeed passable.
It is an impressive program. If you were never exposed to PageMaker or
Interleaf or anything else, it would do nicely. If you have been exposed to
real page layout, this won't do. In your case, only you can REALLY judge this
one --- it's that close a call. I personally would continue to use PageMaker,
and I would certainly buy it if I didn't have it.

If you are critical about the quality of typesetting, then Word, even Word 4.0,
does not come close to the quality of PageMaker. Even when fractional width
printing is used, the letterspacing is uneven throughout with Word.

I think that it is important to remember these are two different TYPES of
programs. Page layout programs are weak in interactive word processing, and
word processors do not do top quality page layout.

The thing I griped about with 4.0 wasn't the feature set, though some things
appear to be incompletely implemented. I mainly griped about the BUGS.

Incidentally, until PageMaker 4 comes out, Word 4.0 and PageMaker are not
directly compatible. You need to save Word 4.0 files in Word 3.0 compatibility
format, or else PageMaker won't recognize them. But then, I have read in print
that PageMaker 4.0 will have search and replace. Then you can throw away Word
entirely! ;-) (I'm only half kidding here.)

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (05/02/89)

In article <3949@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM>, briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
> But then, I have read in print that PageMaker 4.0 will have search
> and replace.

What else has been seen regarding the new PageMaker?  Specifically,
does it incorporate any of the typographical controls (tracking,
horizontal scaling, etc.) that are now in XPress?  Will it show
"invisibles" (paragraph markers, spaces, tabs, etc.) like XPress?

cheers, from
charles s. geiger, esq.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (05/03/89)

In article <12644@ut-emx.UUCP> nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) writes:
>What else has been seen regarding the new PageMaker?  Specifically,
>does it incorporate any of the typographical controls (tracking,
>horizontal scaling, etc.) that are now in XPress?  Will it show
>"invisibles" (paragraph markers, spaces, tabs, etc.) like XPress?

And the new XPress has a pile of additional features, like built-in (and
editable) kerning tables. (Sorry, but I really like XPress and have this
urge to enlighten the world at every opportunity. I'll be ok for a while now.)

--

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (05/03/89)

In article <12644@ut-emx.UUCP> nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) writes:
>In article <3949@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM>, briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
>> But then, I have read in print that PageMaker 4.0 will have search
>> and replace.
>What else has been seen regarding the new PageMaker?  Specifically,

I don't believe that Aldus has ever said anything publicly about what will be
in the next release of PageMaker. Aldus has been soliciting the requests of
its users on the Aldus forum on CompuServe. I do know that full S & R is NOT
the most requested feature for PM4; rotation of objects in 1 degree increments
is, followed by search & replace, grouping, baseline to baseline leading,
custom line weights and styles, etc. If anyone is really interested in this
list, send me E-mail, and I'll pass a copy on to you.

I just wish they would do something to improve the performance of PM3. Here's
my prediction: by the time that PageMaker 4.0 (or whatever) ships, QuarkXPress
will have most, if not all, of its features, and will do them better and
faster.

Robert

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ Robert Hammen  | hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu | uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!hammen     /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN | GEnie: R.Hammen | CI$: 70701,2104 | MacNet: HAMMEN     /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ 3839 N. Humboldt #204 | Milwaukee WI 53212 | (414) 961-0715 (h)         /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (05/04/89)

A few more questions:
1. I have a title page for a manual that uses 36pt Stone semi-bold.
   With Word 4.0, the letter-spacing is terrible: letters run into
   each other, spacing between some letters is greater than *word*
   spacing. This was fine under version 3! I've tried it with and
   without fractional widths (the output changes, but just shifts the
   problem to different parts of the words). Can I fix this?
2. Is the minimum tab spacing really 1.5pt (or thereabouts)? I'm trying
   to create bullets with the bullet symbol followed by a tab followed
   by the text. I can't get as close to the bullet as I'd like; if I
   try a tab any closer than about 1/8" it bumps the text to the next tab
   stop. (I can get a lot closer with XPress, for example, so it's not
   the font that causes the problem). This was a quirk with 3 but I'd
   hoped it would go away with 4. Am I doing something wrong?
3. It seems that if I use a small font size (in this case, 9pt Helvetica
   Light), I can't get the leading below about 12 points. Hence two lines
   of text look like two paragraphs.  (again, XPress handles this ok)
4. I really detest the new print dialog. I'm used to tabbing from 'copies'
   to the page numbers. While the added flexibility of the section range
   is welcome, it's also inconsistent on two counts: it differs from
   other applications, and it behaves differently (i.e., normally) if the
   document only has one section. (Since I'm updating manual pages on
   a regular basis, this aberration in typing is enough to make me want
   to use a different word processor. There's nothing quite as
   frustrating as finding yourself in the midst of printing the wrong
   page. BTW, why does Word take so long to cancel printing?)