[comp.sys.mac] inits running off the right side of a 9" screen

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (05/01/89)

Ok.  I have 19 inits and most can't have their icons turned off (nor
do they have a separate init resource that I could hack out).  Is
there anything I can do about this?  Maybe someone should write an
init to have two rows of startup init icons :-) :-)

Thanks.

Norman R. Gall
York University       Department of Philosophy       Toronto, Ontario, Canada

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (05/02/89)

Norm, check out the INIT (agh! another one!) called IconWrap 1.2.  This INIT
does just what you want--wraps well behaved startup icons up to line two.  It
will work for most INITs that use ShowINIT code from Paul Mercer...there are a
few 'renegades' out there who use their own methods for displaying a startup
icon.
  A necessary add-on in today's crowded System Folder (what? 66 items?  what
can they all be.....)

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  "Ah!  I see you have the  |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |   machine that goes        |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |   'BING!'"                 |

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (05/03/89)

In article <1051@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>Norm, check out the INIT (agh! another one!) called IconWrap 1.2.  This INIT
>does just what you want--wraps well behaved startup icons up to line two.

I have this handy init.  If you would like me to send it, just send
me a note.

-Scott

rsvp@dartmouth.edu
rsvp@dartcms1.bitnet

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (05/03/89)

I have been sent many copies of various inits to handle my problem.  I
thank profusely all those who took the time to fire them off to me.  I
hope that I might be able to help some of you out in the future.

Thanks again!!

Norman R. Gall
--
York University       Department of Philosophy       Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 "Don't, _for_heaven's_sake_, be afraid of talking nonsense!  But you

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (05/03/89)

In article <1755@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Ok.  I have 19 inits and most can't have their icons turned off (nor
>do they have a separate init resource that I could hack out).  Is
>there anything I can do about this?  Maybe someone should write an
>init to have two rows of startup init icons :-) :-)

  The latest version of IconWrap (1.2) is sitting in the comp.binaries.mac
queue, even as we speak.

  This INIT came about as a result of similar "complaints" about startup
icons, sometime last November or so. David Oster originally came up with
the idea of doing a "carriage return," by resetting the value stored in
low memory which determines the icon's horizontal position. I posted an
INIT shortly thereafter which offset multiple rows vertically, by patching
_CopyBits so the icon's destination rectangle could be shifted.

  That initial version of IconWrap proved to have a serious design flaw
(it was a tail patch), and several applications crashed when it was installed.
The current version, 1.2, has been completely rewritten, and supports the
latest ShowINIT code for color icons. It's been tested fairly rigorously,
and appears to be quite robust.

  Interestingly enough, I've gotten considerable feedback from people who
can't STAND startup icons, period, and want some global method of shutting
them all off (without affecting the loading of the INIT, of course). This
is certainly possible, and if there's ever an IconWrap 2.0, it will
probably include this feature (although I can't understand WHY you'd ever
grow tired of the friendly little things marching across your screen! :-)

-ken

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (05/05/89)

In article <1755@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Ok.  I have 19 inits and most can't have their icons turned off (nor
>do they have a separate init resource that I could hack out).  Is
>there anything I can do about this?  Maybe someone should write an
>init to have two rows of startup init icons :-) :-)

Unfortunately, the current showInit convention only passes the X
coordinate from INIT to INIT. the Y coordinate comes from QuickDraw's
global variables. I thought it was too risky to try to patch QuickDraw to
lie to later INITs.

Some time ago, I posted the LSC source code and the HQX object code for an
INIT called "CR", the sole function of which is to carriage return the
INIT display.  Just name it so it is alphabetically between the INITs you
want to CR, and it will start a new row, midway between the INITs of the
old row.  Not an ideal solution, but a quick and easy one.

--- David Phillip Oster            --"When we replace the mouse with a pen,
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --3 button mouse fans will need saxophone
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --lessons." - Gasee