[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite II

doug@wiley.UUCP (Doug Rudoff) (04/06/89)

Has anyone used MacWrite II yet?  Any comments?
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Doug RUDOFF        TRW Inc, Redondo Beach, CA      {cit-vax,uunet}!wiley!doug

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (04/12/89)

>	Has anyone used MacWrite II yet?  Any comments?
>	Doug RUDOFF        TRW Inc, Redondo Beach, CA

Same question here, but one additional one.  Has anyone out there who has
licensed MacWrite 5.0 from Claris received an upgrade form yet?  I haven't.

Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu
Department of Computer Science		BITNET: goldfarb@ucf1vm.BITNET

kwan@charon.ics.uci.edu (Andrew Kwan) (04/15/89)

In article <2600014@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:

>>	Has anyone used MacWrite II yet?  Any comments?
>>	Doug RUDOFF        TRW Inc, Redondo Beach, CA
>
>Same question here, but one additional one.  Has anyone out there who has
>licensed MacWrite 5.0 from Claris received an upgrade form yet?  I haven't.

I never received an upgrade form.  You can request an order form by calling
their Customer Service/upgrades office (I don't have the phone number with
me), and they will also accept charge cards over the phone.

I charged it over the phone. It took about a week and a half to
arrive. I haven't got a chance to play around with it, but it looks
impressive based upon the documentation.  It is also big -- it takes
up two 800K disks for the program, dictionary, thesaurus (I'm pretty
sure there is one included), hyphenation dictionary, and help files
(you can delete some of these if you lack space).  Biggest new
features seem to be multiple columns, footnotes, style sheets,
stationary, better graphics manipulation, multiple documents open
simultaneously, and a horizontal scroll bar.

Andrew Kwan

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (04/15/89)

In article <2600014@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:

>>	Has anyone used MacWrite II yet?  Any comments?

>Same question here, but one additional one.  Has anyone out there who has
>licensed MacWrite 5.0 from Claris received an upgrade form yet?  I haven't.

I just happened to call the Claris update 800 number today.  The woman I spoke
with noted that they were just now sending out a mass mailing to registered
users of MacWrite 5.0 about the upgrade to MacWrite II.

By the way, Claris is now adding on your own state's sales taxes to your
orders!  No fun...

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

serafine@nprdc.arpa (Ron Serafine) (04/18/89)

	At a Claris demo. on 04/11, I was introduced to MWII by a guy named
Mike, who seemed very knowledgeable.  Now, I've been around Mac since the 1st
Hundred Days, but this was quite impressive!  It has a lot of DTP features -
multi-columns, graphics insertion, color, a better spelling checker than 5.0,
thesaurus features, new rulers set-up, etc.  Look out, MS Word, FullWrite, etc.!
Yes, it's huge, but then so is everything else these days. But I admit I'm
prejudiced in that I could never adjust to Word's less Mac-like interface or
(what appeared to me to be) lack of uniformity.  And, I never wrote 50+ pages/
document (still can't type!).
	Let's just say MW has always filled my needs very well.  And I never
had problems with it having bugs & blowing up.  I'm sending off for separate
copies for the Gov't. Mac here at work, & the SE20 I have @ home, just to keep
my registrations both current.

				-Regards,

				 Ron.

rlancast@bgsuvax.UUCP (Ron Lancaster) (04/19/89)

Several requests have appeared for information about MacWrite II.  I have been
using the program for about three weeks, and am quite satisfied.  Prior to
MacWrite II, my word processing involved using Word about 20% of the time and
MacWrite 5.0 the remaining 80%.  (In most cases, I don't need the additional
features of Word and I much prefer the friendly MacWrite user interface.)
Based on the improvements made in MacWrite, I expect my use of MacWrite to
increase to about 95%.  There are still some documents which benefit from
styles, for which there is no direct counterpart in MW II.  I also need, for
some documents, the ability to prevent a given paragraph from being split
over a page boundary.

The most obvious improvement to me is that the new spelling checker is FAST.
Spacing between lines of a document can be single-spaced, double-spaced, or
any other kind of spacing (1.5-spaced, 5-spaced, etc.).  Multiple columns
are supported (although I don't need that feature at present), and it is
possible to have text adjacent to a figure.

I really like the introduction of "stationery," a concept which has been
available in other software for some time.  I set up a standard memo form
which automatically inserts the date at the appropriate line within the memo.

The mail merge feature is quite flexible and easy to use.  The WordFinder
Thesaurus, which comes with MW II, is something I hadn't seen before, but
it's quite good.  When you ask for synonyms for a word and receive a list,
you can then choose any word in the list and ask for synonyms for that
specific meaning.

The Find/Change feature now has all of the capabilities of the old
FaceLift program.  You can ask that all 10-point underlined text become
9-point italicized, or that all New York font text be changed to Times
font.  The "Define Styles" feature lets you define combinations of
font, size, and style (underline, plain text, etc.) that can henceforth
be referred to by a single name.

I regularly need to import and export files in Word and in MacWrite 5.0
to be able to communicate with my colleagues at the university, and I can
do that with ease in MW II.

So far, this is just a random list of features which I have found useful
in MW II, and I'm not sure where to stop.  Suffice it to say, having used
it several hours per day for more than two weeks, I am quite happy with
the product.  Most people will probably like the one feature which I have
yet to get used to.  Each paragraph now has its own ruler, so changing the
ruler in a paragraph adjusts only that paragraph.  I've gotten used to
that in Word (even though I don't like it) but I keep forgotting to use
that feature in MW II.

Ron Lancaster                       csnet: rlancast@andy.bgsu.edu
Department of Computer Science     BITNET: RLANCAST@BGSUOPIE
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio  43403-0214

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (04/24/89)

I, too, generally like the ease of use and general feel of the MWII
interface. (Though the Word-style ruler will take some getting used
to.) I have noted one major problem with MWII, though.

MacWrite II will not print properly on an Imagewriter!

MWII suffers from the same disease as FullWrite. Imagewriter printing
will only produce margins and ruler settings on the paper that match
the ones on the screen in Tall Adjusted mode. On the other hand, Tall
Adjusted extends the widths of the individual letters, distorting the
appearance of fonts.

There is no mention of this situation in the MWII manual. The user is
left to figure out why this gigantic left-hand margin appears on the
paper but not on the screen.

And there was such a handy model of how to do Imagewriter printing
correctly. It's called MacWrite.

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplvax!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20707		       (301) 953-5503

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (04/26/89)

In article <1778@arctic.nprdc.arpa> serafine@nprdc.arpa (Ron Serafine) writes:
>document (still can't type!).
>	Let's just say MW has always filled my needs very well.  And I never
>had problems with it having bugs & blowing up.  I'm sending off for separate
>
>				 Ron.

Mac Write II blows up on Me.  Don't get me wrong, I love the new MacWrite
but it bombs on me. It usally happens when I change a header, footer
or footnotes. I have a macII.
By the way, I havn't used word since I got MWII. But I'm sending my
upgrade form for 4.0 today. I like the macwrite interface much better
than words.

Just my $0.02

Matthew Mora
SRI International                            stores@SRI.COM

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (05/03/89)

Can someone (perhaps from Claris ;-)) explain why MWII does not have
the same signature as the original macwrite. This means if you
rteplace MW with MWII you can no longer doubleclick MW files to edit
them. Yes, I know that MWII uses a different file type, but that
doesnt mean the signature had to be changed as well. I find this an
extremely poor decision as far as user interface design goes. It now
means I have to rummage around and start up MWII first before opening
any old MW file.

I also find having manually every time to say whether I want to save
the result in the new format as a converted file pretty tedious.
Surely this could have been handled better with a check box option
Always Convert to MWII Format?

How can I try to persuade people here (read: Secretaries, etc) to move
to MWII when it is doesnt let them double click their old files any
more? And do you think *I* want to convert them all for them one by
one?!

I think these poor decisions will be hitting sales. Remember, not all
Mac users are sophisticated!

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (05/05/89)

From article <707@cf-cm.UUCP>, by ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin):
> Can someone (perhaps from Claris ;-)) explain why MWII does not have
> the same signature as the original macwrite. This means if you
> rteplace MW with MWII you can no longer doubleclick MW files to edit
> them. Yes, I know that MWII uses a different file type, but that
> doesnt mean the signature had to be changed as well. I find this an
> extremely poor decision as far as user interface design goes. It now
> means I have to rummage around and start up MWII first before opening
> any old MW file.

That's easy.  Suppose you want to open your old documents in the
application that created them (the usual scenario)?

There is a workaround of sorts.  If your MacWrite Classic document is
selected at the same time as MacWrite II, and you double-click on MWII,
the old doc will automatically be opened.  This works for WriteNow, text,
and MicroSludge documents, too.  Unfortunately, it means you have to have
MWII in the same folder as your docs.

> I also find having manually every time to say whether I want to save
> the result in the new format as a converted file pretty tedious.
> Surely this could have been handled better with a check box option
> Always Convert to MWII Format?

Wait.  You mean you actually want the program to write to your disk and
destroy old files WITHOUT YOU TELLING IT TO?  Uh-uh.  No way.  Not a chance.
Some people might want to keep the old files around because they have to
be read by people who don't have MWII.  Besides, how long can it take to
hit fan-S?

> How can I try to persuade people here (read: Secretaries, etc) to move
> to MWII when it is doesnt let them double click their old files any
> more? And do you think *I* want to convert them all for them one by
> one?!

That's even easier!  Delete MacWrite Classic from their hard drives!  :-)

> I think these poor decisions will be hitting sales. Remember, not all
> Mac users are sophisticated!

I'm sorry if I sound glib about this.  I realize that many people have a
hard time changing from one way of doing things (double-click) to another.
The only suggestion I can give is to show them MWII's obvious advantages
over MacWrite: more than one document open at a time, faster, multiple
columns, faster, footnotes, faster, mail merge, faster, auto hyphenation,
faster....  Hopefully they'll realize that the inital time investment to
convert their files will be paid back as they use the program.
--
Jeff Erickson       Claris Corporation  | Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
408/987-7309      Applelink: Erickson4  |   Why'd you do that in my eye?