[comp.sys.mac] Attention, players of Cairo Shootout & Shareware/PD software distributors

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/04/89)

A co-worker asked me to bring this to the attention of the net -- please
pass this information around to as many distributors of Shareware software
as possible.

My friend had been playing Cairo Shootout for some time, and decided to pay
the shareware fee to the creator, Duane Blehm of Hometown Software (his
company, I assume), which would give him a "keycode" which would unlock the
game for further playing.  (Haven't played this game much myself -- sorry
for the lack of details).

He received his check back with a letter from Duane's parents saying Duane
had died last June, which he forwarded to me.  Duane's parents provide the
unlocking keycode, asking people to distribute it around, and to inform
local user groups and BBSes that Hometown Software is no longer in business,
and is not filling orders for source code to his programs.

From this letter, I'd guess that these orders are somewhat painful reminders
to Duane's parents of his absence; please pass the word to halt all orders
to Hometown Software.  Thank you.

-----

Keycode solution: They mention that the formula for the Cairo #2 keycode is
this:

    You apparently have a "#1 Keycode" (again, I haven't played the game
    much), which is a five or six-digit code.  Let the last two digits of
    the number = X; let the next-to-last two digits = Y; let the first digit
    (if five digits long) or the first two digits (if six digits long) = Z.
    The #2 Keycode is equal to (Z + 1) * ((Y * X) + 18).  For example, if
    your #1 keycode == 92338, the #2 Keycode == (9 + 1) * ((23 * 38) + 18)
    [the actual calculation is left as an exercise for the reader :-)]

    Enter the #2 keycode into the "Unlock..." dialog under the 'Options'
    Menu and click the "Unlock All Features" button to unlock Cairo
    Shootout.

Duane's parent could not find the solution to the PUZZ'L #2 keycode.

-----

                           "They that love beyond the world cannot be
                            separated by it.  Death is but crossing the world,
                            as friends do the seas; they live in one another
                            still."
                                           -- William Penn

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

res12@snoopy.UMD.EDU (Matthew T. Russotto) (05/05/89)

In article <8075@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>A co-worker asked me to bring this to the attention of the net -- please
>pass this information around to as many distributors of Shareware software
>as possible.
>[much deleted]
>Keycode solution: They mention that the formula for the Cairo #2 keycode is
>this:
>
>    You apparently have a "#1 Keycode" (again, I haven't played the game
>    much), which is a five or six-digit code.  Let the last two digits of
>    the number = X; let the next-to-last two digits = Y; let the first digit
>    (if five digits long) or the first two digits (if six digits long) = Z.
>    The #2 Keycode is equal to (Z + 1) * ((Y * X) + 18).  For example, if
>    your #1 keycode == 92338, the #2 Keycode == (9 + 1) * ((23 * 38) + 18)
>    [the actual calculation is left as an exercise for the reader :-)]
>
>    Enter the #2 keycode into the "Unlock..." dialog under the 'Options'
>    Menu and click the "Unlock All Features" button to unlock Cairo
>    Shootout.
>
>Duane's parent could not find the solution to the PUZZ'L #2 keycode.
>
>-----
>
>                           "They that love beyond the world cannot be
>                            separated by it.  Death is but crossing the world,
>                            as friends do the seas; they live in one another
>                            still."
>                                           -- William Penn
>
>                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
>INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
>Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
>CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...
><*> DISCLAIMER: Do what you want with me, but leave my employers alone! <*>
I have had both solutions for a while now-- I'll try and remember to post
them on Monday.  Puzz'l works about the same way, but different constants.
(I have the Uptime version of Cairo, and I don't use puzz'l--
I just figured it out for the fun of it--so no flames, please.)

--
DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
             they don't want me sharing my opinions.