[comp.sys.mac] IBM Simms in an SE???

markham@tsc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Markham) (05/04/89)

I realize that this was in discussion not too long ago, but not having tons-o
-time, and thinking it would be irrelevant, I did not read the info.

I have a friend with 8MB of 1MB simms for his IBM and is willing to sell
them to me for a very generous discount.  He is going to be bringing me them
in the next couple of days, but what I wanted to know was wether or not I
would be able to use them in my SE.  If anyone out there can answer this I
would be a very happy soul.  If you could send me all of the necessary specs
to determine if they will work that would be fine too.  And lastly, if you
could tell me but need more info, contact me and I will find out everything
you need.

Thanx for any and all help.

Please respond via e-mail to the following:

Andrew W. Markham 			<markham@sunmail.cs.unc.edu>
Undergraduate Assistant
Computer Science Department

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (05/05/89)

In article <8025@thorin.cs.unc.edu> markham@tsc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Markham) writes:
>I have a friend with 8MB of 1MB simms for his IBM and is willing to sell
>them to me for a very generous discount.  He is going to be bringing me them
>in the next couple of days, but what I wanted to know was wether or not I
>would be able to use them in my SE.  If anyone out there can answer this I

Just be sure they were never installed in a PC or you'll have problems with
your disk names changing to A> ... :)

Seriously, I've installed "PC" SIMMs (9 chips) in my Mac with no problems.
Apparantly, the 9th chip is ignored.  Just be sure they're fast enough
(150ns for a Plus,SE; 120ns for a II,SE/30).

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.