[comp.sys.mac] Deneba email path wanted

goran@erix.ericsson.se (Goeran Baage) (04/26/89)

I would very much like to get an email path to someone at
Deneba Software. I paid $20 in February to get my free Canvas 1.0 to
2.0 upgrade sent to me in Sweden, but have so far gotten nothing.
Two reminder letters sent to Deneba have not been answered.
So if anybody know of a way to email Deneba I would appreciate
if you would let me know.

  Goran Bage

Computer Science Laboratory
Ellemtel
Box 1505
S-125 25 Alvsjo, Sweden
tel: +46 8 727 3539
email: goran@erix.ericsson.se

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/01/89)

In article <2010@erix.ericsson.se> goran@erix.ericsson.se (G|ran B}ge) writes:
<
<I would very much like to get an email path to someone at
<Deneba Software. I paid $20 in February to get my free Canvas 1.0 to
<2.0 upgrade sent to me in Sweden, but have so far gotten nothing.
<Two reminder letters sent to Deneba have not been answered.
<So if anybody know of a way to email Deneba I would appreciate
<if you would let me know.
<

Welcome to the wonderful world of Deneba support. I called for help right
after receiving the upgrade and because they didn't know how to make the
program produce white text on a black background (which worked fine for
them), they asked me to send my disks back. That's the last I ever heard
from them.

Someone even sent me e-mail saying I'd get them back soon because he knew
people there, but still I got nothing. Not only have I switched to SuperPaint,
but I've crossed all of their software off my list of considerations. I
can no longer recommend them.

Shirley Kehr

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (05/02/89)

In article <94671@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>In article <2010@erix.ericsson.se> goran@erix.ericsson.se (G|ran B}ge) writes:
><
><I would very much like to get an email path to someone at
><Deneba Software. I paid $20 in February to get my free Canvas 1.0 to
><2.0 upgrade sent to me in Sweden, but have so far gotten nothing.
><Two reminder letters sent to Deneba have not been answered.
><So if anybody know of a way to email Deneba I would appreciate
><if you would let me know.
><
>
>Welcome to the wonderful world of Deneba support. I called for help right
>after receiving the upgrade and because they didn't know how to make the
>program produce white text on a black background (which worked fine for
>them), they asked me to send my disks back. That's the last I ever heard
>from them.
>
>Someone even sent me e-mail saying I'd get them back soon because he knew
>people there, but still I got nothing. Not only have I switched to SuperPaint,
>but I've crossed all of their software off my list of considerations. I
>can no longer recommend them.
>
>Shirley Kehr

I had purchased a copy of Canvas 2.0 (based on reviews from MacUser
and Mac World) about three months ago.  The program is indeed an excellent
paint and draw program. I have used Superpaint in the past including the newest
version and Canvas 2.0 runs circles around it.
However, I too ran into the Denebe support line hassel.  The disks I got from
Denebe were not the latest rev (dated Nov 88 not March 89) and there were
some subtle bugs with it (ie, could not read MacDraw II pict files).  I called
Denebe support and they told me to send my disks back for new ones after
verifing my registration.  Well guess what, three weeks later after hearing
nothing from them, I called Denebe back and they told me they never saw my
disks and that I was not even registered.  Now I had no proof that I had
bought Canvas 2.0.  They then wanted me to FAX to them proof of purchase, like
a receipt. I then demanded to speak to the supervisor and after some serious
discussions, she told me that they would send out the upgraded disks.
I received them in three days.
It is a shame that such an excellent piece of software at a price we users
can all afford has such a poor support line.  I will say that since then,
I have called Denebe support three times for technical questions
to be answered and all three times I recieved a prompt and accurate reply.
Maybe now Denebe has finally gotten their act together.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (05/03/89)

In article <1054@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> jim@calvin.ee.cornell.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>In article <94671@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>>Welcome to the wonderful world of Deneba support. I called for help right
>>after receiving the upgrade and because they didn't know how to make the
>>program produce white text on a black background (which worked fine for
>>them), they asked me to send my disks back. That's the last I ever heard
>>from them.
>>Shirley Kehr
>
>I had purchased a copy of Canvas 2.0 (based on reviews from MacUser
>and Mac World) about three months ago.  The program is indeed an excellent
>paint and draw program. I have used Superpaint in the past including the newest
>version and Canvas 2.0 runs circles around it.
>However, I too ran into the Denebe support line hassel.  ...

I don't want to contribute to a flood here, but I've had similar
experiences with Deneba (and I have Spelling Coach Pro, too -- they've
been promising to fix *that* since last summer). But on a more
interesting note, Shirley's posting inspired me to phone Deneba today.
After the usual "send-me-your-disks" prologue, I asked about the next
*release* of Canvas (releases get shipped on new disks; only upgrades
require your original disks -- don't ask me to explain it). The
support person said that 3.0 was in the works but with no announced date.
He also said that this would (finally) support PostScript properly. This
is my main complaint, since I'm happy with what I can draw on the
screen but it doesn't print worth a damn (arrow heads separated from their
lines, fills not drawn, etc.) Now that Word 4.0 is out, we have something
else to anticipate and speculate about :-)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/04/89)

In article <4988@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>In article <1054@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> jim@calvin.ee.cornell.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
<>In article <94671@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
<>>Welcome to the wonderful world of Deneba support. I called for help right
<>>after receiving the upgrade and because they didn't know how to make the
<>>program produce white text on a black background (which worked fine for
<>>them), they asked me to send my disks back. That's the last I ever heard
<>>from them.

<>I had purchased a copy of Canvas 2.0 (based on reviews from MacUser
<>and Mac World) about three months ago.  The program is indeed an excellent
<>paint and draw program. I have used Superpaint in the past including the newest
<>version and Canvas 2.0 runs circles around it.
<>However, I too ran into the Denebe support line hassel.  ...

I agree that Canvas does a lot more than SuperPaint, but the key issue is
whether a program does what you need it to do. I have to duplicate the
FileNet screens which requires white text on a black background. That is
90% of the drawing I do (not very exciting, documenting software). SuperPaint
does it and Canvas 2.0 doesn't. So I don't have many alternatives.

I would be interested in their Coach Professional and Big Thesaurus, but
not with this level of support. I get the feeling that they have some
good ideas and try to give you a lot of bang for the buck, but have not
quite matured enough to do it without problems. I hope they keep trying
and become a major player. I'm just discouraged to not hear anything from
them. They've had my disks since the first week Canvas 2.0 came out. I
guess I don't have a version 2.0 upgrade after all.

(OK, so I'm naive but not that much. I like collecting original disks :-))

Shirley Kehr

aj1826@trotter.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) (05/05/89)

In article <94671@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:

> can no longer recommend them.
                          ^^^^ (Deneba Software)
> Shirley Kehr

I have not had occassion to use their technical support lines, but I can say
that I like the company overall.  Deneba instituted a plan to send one free
copy of their software to user groups to give away.  All the user group had
to do was review the product in a newsletter and demo it at a meeting.  Very
nice idea.  However, I had trouble getting our _second_ piece of software.
Once I called Deneba, I got an immediate phone call back, and a Fedex package
to make it in time for our next meeting.  I thought the response was great.
(I also love Canvas 2.0!)  Hopefully your experiences will get better, but
don't cross them off your list.  They have pretty good products!

Joe DiGangi
President, USMAc, the West Point Macintosh User Group

--
CPT Joe DiGangi
Department of Mathematics, US Military Academy

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/05/89)

In article <1387@trotter.usma.edu> aj1826@trotter.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) writes:
>In article <94671@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>
>> can no longer recommend them.
>                          ^^^^ (Deneba Software)
>
>I have not had occassion to use their technical support lines, but I can say
>that I like the company overall.  Deneba instituted a plan to send one free
>copy of their software to user groups to give away.
> However, I had trouble getting our _second_ piece of software.
>Once I called Deneba, I got an immediate phone call back, and a Fedex package
>to make it in time for our next meeting.

I'd add that Deneba's policy of upgrading all Canvas owners with v2.0 FOR
FREE, NO STRINGS ATTACHED (with new manual, as well), the equivalent, in
my view, of an upgrade from MS Word 1.05 to 4.0 in terms of features, has
endeared me to the company forever (well, or until they screw up REALLY
badly, and even then I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the
doubt).  Despite one or two minor bugs I've encountered, Canvas 2.0 is
about the most useful and versatile graphics program I've used.  I've
not had much occasion to use their tech support, but I've found their
product managers to be quite open and knowledgable.  If anyone has had
less-than-thrilling encounters with Deneba's tech support (or any other
company's, for that matter), write a letter to the president.  You'd
be surprised how often that'll cause the problem to be fixed (even
at Apple).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/05/89)

In article <24062@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
#>If anyone has had
#>less-than-thrilling encounters with Deneba's tech support (or any other
#>company's, for that matter), write a letter to the president.  You'd
#>be surprised how often that'll cause the problem to be fixed (even
#>at Apple).
#>
#>John Heckendorn

I once had a Radio Shack daisywheel printer. Radio Shack couldn't
fix it after three visits to their store and three on-site repair
attempts. I wrote to the president of Tandy. Almost immediately,
a brand new printer arrived.

Steve Goldfield