[comp.sys.mac] Font change

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (05/06/89)

In article <1860@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:

>That enough good points. I could add more, but who really cares. So now for
>the BAD:
>
>1.  Find/replace command
>    What if I want to find all occurrences of Bookman bold and replace it with
>    Times italic. I couldn't do it before and I can't fo it now. Accept of
>    course by using the awkward cmd-option-R/cmd-option-A sequence, but that
>    can be pretty time consuming in a large document and I don't really see
>    it as the same thing. It's annoying to have to keep Fullwrite around
>    just to use its powerful find/replace command for this purpose. I can't
>    believe it would be so difficult to at least let you look for a piece of
>    text that in a particular font. They obviously have the logic implemented
>    in a fashion with the cmd-option-R command, so why not make it more
>    accessible?

There's a hack to get around this.  Once again Interchange Format (RTF) comes
to the rescue.  Save your file as RTF, then edit the RTF as a plain-text file.
Here's what to do:

At the top of every RTF file, there's a section called fonttbl, where a
correspondence between font numbers (e.g. "\f215") and font names is
established.  Word lists every font in your system, whether used or not.
You can fiddle with things by changing every \f215 to \f21, or by making
changes in the fonttbl section.

Save the results as text only, close the file, and reopen it.  If you did it
right, Word will ask if you want to interpret the RTF.  Say yes, and voila,
you have a formatted document with your changes in place.

Sure, it's a hack, but it can be a LOT faster than fiddling with the formats
on each instance of a font.