[comp.sys.mac] MAC Clones

gfj@homxc.UUCP (G.JOHNSON) (11/09/87)

I tend not to believe rumors until they really come
true but has anyone heard any info regarding the rumor
section in MacUser where someone claims Tandy is building
a Mac II compatible and it will sell for $1500 less than
Apple's?

Garrett Johnson
DISCLAIMER:  I really wish the things I think
were important enough to have a disclaimer put
on them.

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (11/11/87)

I don't put much stock in MacUser rumors.  It might be informative to look
through back issues and see how many of their rumors were PURE fantasy.
I remember a ``MacWrite 5.0'' ruler they printed once...

Anyway, I'd like to start a rumor that apple will sue the pants off Tandy
for look-and-feel violations when Tandy comes out with a Mac II clone.

As for the truth of my rumor, I GUARANTEE that if MacUser's rumor is true,
so is mine--after all, apple went after GEM for a garbage can...:-)
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

cramer%clem@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer) (11/13/87)

In article <174400068@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I don't put much stock in MacUser rumors.  It might be informative to look
>through back issues and see how many of their rumors were PURE fantasy.
>I remember a ``MacWrite 5.0'' ruler they printed once...

Remember the MacUser rumor about spherical disk drives (repeated in several
issues)?  What drugs were they on when they dreamed that one up?

Sam Cramer	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer  cramer@sun.com

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (11/17/87)

I wrote:

>I don't put much stock in MacUser rumors.  It might be informative to look
>through back issues and see how many of their rumors were PURE fantasy.
>I remember a ``MacWrite 5.0'' ruler they printed once...

Well, while I stand by my point, a kind person mailed me that he had
actually SEEN said ruler operating in an escaped copy of a souped-up
version of MacWrite.  So I guess MacUser got THAT one right, anyway.

BTW, the person asked not to be identified.  Said something about Jimmy
Hoffa being hidden in the developer's basement or something :-).
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

arya@eros.Berkeley.EDU (Manish Arya) (02/25/89)

A friend of mine heard that two companies (in Taiwan?) manufacture
LEGAL macintosh clones.  Could there be any truth to this?  If so,
does anyone know the names & phone numbers of the companies?

- Manish Arya
  arya@ernie.Berkeley.EDU

melby@s.cs.uiuc.edu (02/28/89)

I don't know much about the Taiwanese Mac clones, although they were mentioned
a lot on a particular BBS in Yokohama during January, when a shop in Akihabara
put one of the clones on exhibit.  I doubt that they can be imported to the
U.S. - it seems that the manufacture of clones of just about any sort is legal
in Taiwan, South Korea, and Hong Kong, since they haven't signed the
international copyright agreement.  The posession (although not the
manufacture) of clones made in violation of international copyright is legal
in countries such as Japan and New Zealand but not in the United States.

jeff@wdl1.UUCP (Jonathan J Jefferies) (05/06/89)

	MAC CLONES:: are they real
I vaugely remember reading recently < in EE Times perhaps> that someone
was importing MACINTOSH clones.  The article went on to say that the
boards were in production but what was needed was a non-Apple BIOS
or workbox rom set.
	The question is this: is anyone aware of where such boards
can be located?  I have a partially destroyed MAC and would like to
replace it.  The roms may be the only part functional.

	Thanks
	jeff@WDL-1