[comp.sys.mac] Latest version of Kermit for the Macintosh

prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) (04/26/89)

I was wondering if someone could email me the latest version of Kermit for
the Macintosh.  I am presently using version 0.8(34) but have been informed
that 0.9(40) is the latest.

For some reason, our Institute has not received any update tapes from the U.S.
for some time, which is unusual, since we normally receive them automatically.

If there is any documentation available then I would appreciate this as well.

If anyone can help, please email me the files in BinHex form (version 4.0 or
5.0) or StuffIt form, but please indicate which form they are in.

Paul Freeman
Centre for Stream Ecology
Chisholm Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 197
Caulfield East 3145
Australia

Email:   munnari!@cit5.cit.oz.au!prf@uunet.uu.net

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (05/02/89)

In article <2563@cit5.cit.oz>, prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) writes:

> I was wondering if someone could email me the latest version of Kermit for

	in December '88, we created a complete dump of the SIMTEL20
	Macintosh files (2 reels) and sent them to NZ with the request
	that their contents be made available "down under" in general.

	I was hoping that this would mean that either one/several sites
	would set up a mail-server, or that the tapes would be passed on
	from site to site in NZ and OZ.

	if that didn't happen, I'd be greatly disappointed and would think
	twice before organizing another (cost-free to the recipient) air-mail
	care-package to the same people ...

	Come to think of it, can't say that I received a thank-you note
	from anyone either .... that should teach me.

PS: given that Kermit 0.9(40) has a creation date of July 88 on my disk,
    I am rather certain that it was on those tapes ... no need to send it
    across the Pacific again, one would think (which was the whole purpose
    of the exercise, given the high cost of such transmissions)

alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (05/04/89)

In article <2291> werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>In article <2563@cit5.cit.oz>, prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) writes:
>> I was wondering if someone could email me the latest version of Kermit for
>
>	in December '88, we created a complete dump of the SIMTEL20
>	Macintosh files (2 reels) and sent them to NZ with the request
>	that their contents be made available "down under" in general.
>
>	I was hoping that this would mean that either one/several sites
>	would set up a mail-server, or that the tapes would be passed on
>	from site to site in NZ and OZ.
>
>	if that didn't happen, I'd be greatly disappointed and would think
>	twice before organizing another (cost-free to the recipient) air-mail
>	care-package to the same people ...
>
>	Come to think of it, can't say that I received a thank-you note
>	from anyone either .... that should teach me.
>
>PS: given that Kermit 0.9(40) has a creation date of July 88 on my disk,
>    I am rather certain that it was on those tapes ... no need to send it
>    across the Pacific again, one would think (which was the whole purpose
>    of the exercise, given the high cost of such transmissions)

Greetings,
          I'm the ungrateful swine who got the tapes Werner had sent. For
reasons that I've outlined to Werner in some e-mail I sent him I've been
sitting on them due to a storage of disk space at my site. Quite frankly I
hadn't though about the possiblity of shipping them from University and
I'm not keen to do so, because the last time I did, none of the tapes ever
came back.

BUT, in the spirit of what Werner did for me. I'm prepared to offer two
alternatives. I'll copy the SIMTEL20 tapes for anyone who's prepared to
ship me two 2400 foot tapes provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Tapes that arrive without money to cover (or partially cover) shipping
them back will be returned via the cheapest (and probably slowest) method
I can find (this condition only really applies to OZ sites). In the case
of tapes from OZ, this may mean a three month wait. The only reason I
impose this restriction is that my department head will personally
garrotte me if I commit this department to shipping tapes back to OZ via
airfreight at $NZ 50+ a time!

2. One set of tapes per site. I don't want to be inundated with tapes.

If people are interested email me for more details and we'll set something
up.

OR

In this particular circumstance I'll haul the Kermit files off the tapes
and ship them via either e-mail (less than 200K) or disk to Paul (> 200K)
at my department's expense.

Given that OZ hardly thinks it worth talking to NZ, I can't see a NZ based
ftp site being particularly useful and as we pay for email TO and FROM OZ
I'm not going to implement a mail request server either. Now if OZ would
pay for their traffic from us, it might be another story...

I should mention that I am very grateful to Werner for getting the tapes
sent to us and I'm sorry that he's felt it was a waste of time.

Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (05/06/89)

(discussion to get the Kermit .9(40) files)

Why don't you ftp cunixc.colubia.edu with an anonymous login. Look in the
ftp/kermit/a directory. mget the BINHEXed file ckm*.h*x and the
file ckm*.doc .

masticol@paul.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) (05/06/89)

Alex Nghiem writes:

> Why don't you ftp cunixc.colubia.edu with an anonymous login. Look in the
> ftp/kermit/a directory. mget the BINHEXed file ckm*.h*x and the
> file ckm*.doc .

If I had used that kind of language when I was your age, my mom would
have paddled my backside and washed my mouth out with soap! :-)