[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite II Upgrade policy

jnj@mibte.UUCP (Jim Jackson) (05/05/89)

In article <707@cf-cm.UUCP>, ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
> Can someone (perhaps from Claris ;-)) explain why MWII does not have
> the same signature as the original macwrite. This means if you
> rteplace MW with MWII you can no longer doubleclick MW files to edit
> them. Yes, I know that MWII uses a different file type, but that
> doesnt mean the signature had to be changed as well. I find this an
> extremely poor decision as far as user interface design goes. It now
> means I have to rummage around and start up MWII first before opening
> any old MW file.
>

> I think these poor decisions will be hitting sales. Remember, not all
> Mac users are sophisticated!

	Also, we ordered our MacWrite and MacDraw when we purchased our Macs
in Feb.  We heard about the upgrades before we got the products, and now we
are told the MacDraw upgrade is free, but MacWrite is $65.00.  I'm sorry, but
I'm used to an IBM world where you are entitled to a free upgrade during a
resonable amount of time (at least that has been the case, I'm sure there has
never been anything in writing).  Oh well, I will have to think hard and long
before buying from Claris anything that is not a BRAND NEW release.

			Jim Jackson
			Ameritech

krazy@claris.com (California Lopez) (05/06/89)

From article <2800@mibte.UUCP>, by jnj@mibte.UUCP (Jim Jackson):

> 	Also, we ordered our MacWrite and MacDraw when we purchased our Macs
> in Feb.  We heard about the upgrades before we got the products, and now we
> are told the MacDraw upgrade is free, but MacWrite is $65.00.  I'm sorry, but
> I'm used to an IBM world where you are entitled to a free upgrade during a
> resonable amount of time (at least that has been the case, I'm sure there has
> never been anything in writing).  Oh well, I will have to think hard and long
> before buying from Claris anything that is not a BRAND NEW release.
>
> 			Jim Jackson
> 			Ameritech

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

	The MacDraw upgrade was from MacDraw II 1.0 to MacDraw II 1.1.

	The MacWrite upgrade was from MacWrite 5.0 to MacWrite II.

MacWrite II *is* a "brand new release".  It's not just a new revision of
the old MacWrite.  It has been rewritten from the ground up.  And I believe
that there is a substantial (read "More than $65") price difference between
MacWrite and MWII.  (MWII retails for $249.  We don't sell MacWrite Classic
any more, so I can't look up its retail price.  Anyone?)

--
Jeff Erickson       Claris Corporation  | Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
408/987-7309      Applelink: Erickson4  |   Why'd you do that in my eye?