[comp.sys.mac] Mac II and VGA

ins_agws@jhunix (Gordon Stoll) (04/22/89)

Okay, I know some of you in Mac-land aren't terribly fond of IBM-type
stuff, but there is a piece of that world I would be very interested in
getting my grubby little hands on.  The Zenith ZCM-1490 ( I think that's
the code ) flat tech monitor is one of the nicest I've ever seen, but it's
designed specifically for IBM VGA.  Soooo....anybody out there know if
you could hook up such a beastie to a Mac II?  I believe this would be
of general interest ( especially to those of us lucky enough to have
seen this monitor ).

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (04/22/89)

In article <1531@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_agws@jhunix (Gordon Stoll) writes:

> The Zenith ZCM-1490 ( I think that's
>the code ) flat tech monitor is one of the nicest I've ever seen, but it's
>designed specifically for IBM VGA.  Soooo....anybody out there know if
>you could hook up such a beastie to a Mac II?

Being a Zenith Employee, I was interested in this myself.  The
Official Policy (TM) is that Zenith will _never_ provide a board to
attach the FTM (which stands for Flat Tension Mask) monitor to a
non-Zenith machine.  I think this is stupid and they're losing
potential sales.

Anyway RasterOps makes a board which does what you want with two
caveats: it will only run in 1-bit or 8-bit modes (2 or 256 colors),
why they didn't implement 2 and 4-bit modes I don't know.  They
other problem is the price: $1095!  RasterOps is known for being
pricey and they did it on this one too!

Anyway the board you want is called the ColorBoard 108 Z and this is
what the brochure says:  8-bit graphics board that is compatible
with the Zenith FTM-1490 (VGA) monitor.  Resolution 640 by 480
pixels.  Each pixel is 8-bit deep.  Both 8-bit and 1-bit mode
supported.  QuickDraw Supported.  Manual and Zenith monitor cable
included.  (72 dots per inch, 31.5 KHz scan rate, 60 Hz refresh)

I still haven't decided if I'll get one.  Apple's video card is
_much_ cheaper, especially with a student discount!  And then I'd
have more to spend on memory!

--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (04/23/89)

In article <8264@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>Anyway RasterOps makes a board which does what you want with two
>caveats: it will only run in 1-bit or 8-bit modes (2 or 256 colors),
>why they didn't implement 2 and 4-bit modes I don't know.

Gee, off the top of my head, I can think of one very good reason.  The
reason they didn't implement it is because nobody uses 2 or 4 bit
modes.  I for one have yet to see an application that uses 2 or 4 bit
graphics, and I doubt there is any good reason for such an App to be
written, especially in a multiprogram environment (where you need
extra colors so each App can have it's own palette).

IMHO the 2 and 4 bit Color Quickdraw modes were a waste of time.

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  ...!uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
"The NY Times is read by the people who run the country.  The Washington Post

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (04/24/89)

I have used a Zenith FTM with the RasterOps board.  The high contrast
and brightness of the FTM were great, but there is one drawback.  The
FTM is a 14" monitor, while the Apple is 13".  Both use the same number
of pixels (640 x 480).  That means that many bitmap fonts look poor on
the FTM because of the increased jaggies.

All in all, I liked the FTM but I don't think I would use it as the sole
monitor on my Mac.  As a second monitor (for presentation graphics etc..) I
think it's unbeatable.

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.
-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (04/24/89)

In article <492@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Gee, off the top of my head, I can think of one very good reason.  The
>reason they didn't implement it is because nobody uses 2 or 4 bit
>modes.  I for one have yet to see an application that uses 2 or 4 bit
>graphics, and I doubt there is any good reason for such an App to be
>written, especially in a multiprogram environment (where you need
>extra colors so each App can have it's own palette).
>IMHO the 2 and 4 bit Color Quickdraw modes were a waste of time.

Actually, I kinda wish Apple had standardized on a minimum of 2 or 4 bit
QuickDraw display capability on their new machines.  Anyone who has seen
the NeXT machine's display (or Apple's own Fuzzy Fonts, for that matter),
will tell you that the use of grey scale type (to smooth out edges and
the like) will improve readability SIGNIFICANTLY.  Of course you should
still have bare bones B/W available (via Monitors CDEV) for the sake of
speed, but providing a minimum 2-bit or even 4-bit greyscale capability
on the SE/30 would have gone very far in promoting standarization to
antialiased fonts.  As it remains, Fuzzy Fonts is an year-old technology that
hasn't been used at all (since only the II line supports it - the SE/30
has Color QD in ROM, but not the display capability) and will take a while
for it to reappear.  Apple should place this up there with outline fonts,
however.  So, no, I don't think 2- and 4- bit modes were a waste of time,
I just wish there was more outspoken support from Apple for these.

>Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  ...!uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP

-Ivan

|  "My father peddles opium, my mother's on the dole.			     |
| My sister used to walk the streets but now she's on parole.		     |
| My uncle pays with little girlss; my aunt, she raped a steer,		     |
| But they won't even speak to me 'cause I'm an engineer."		     |
|	-The MIT Engineers' Drinking Song				     |
| ARPA: captkidd@athena.mit.edu						     |
| DISCLAIMER: It's my spout, not MIT's (would they really say such garbage?) |

rbrewer@reed.UUCP (Robert S. Brewer) (04/25/89)

In article <10787@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
|Actually, I kinda wish Apple had standardized on a minimum of 2 or 4 bit
|QuickDraw display capability on their new machines.  Anyone who has seen
|the NeXT machine's display (or Apple's own Fuzzy Fonts, for that matter),
|will tell you that the use of grey scale type (to smooth out edges and
|the like) will improve readability SIGNIFICANTLY.  Of course you should
|still have bare bones B/W available (via Monitors CDEV) for the sake of
|speed, but providing a minimum 2-bit or even 4-bit greyscale capability
|on the SE/30 would have gone very far in promoting standarization to
|antialiased fonts.  As it remains, Fuzzy Fonts is an year-old technology that
|hasn't been used at all (since only the II line supports it - the SE/30
|has Color QD in ROM, but not the display capability) and will take a while
|for it to reappear.  Apple should place this up there with outline fonts,
|however.  So, no, I don't think 2- and 4- bit modes were a waste of time,
|I just wish there was more outspoken support from Apple for these.

|-Ivan

I agree that Apple should release antialiased fonts, but you are incorrect on
two points. The NeXT machine does not have antialiased fonts, and may not in
the future. Also antialiased fonts are several years old at least, there was
considerable work done on them at the MIT Media Lab.

There was a new font editing program released at August '88 MacWorld called
FRed Font editor that claimed to automatically antialias fonts (there was a
nice picture to go along with it). If someone had this program, it seems they
could easily whip off antialiased versions of all kinds of fonts. If they were
Apple fonts, there might be some question of legality, but for PD fonts it
would be no problem.
--
Robert S. Brewer       Bitnet: RBREWER@REED.BITNET, Usenet: rbrewer@reed.UUCP
Student at Reed College                             GEnie : R.BREWER

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/26/89)

In article <12542@reed.UUCP> rbrewer@reed.UUCP (Robert S. Brewer) writes
(among other things):

>There was a new font editing program released at August '88 MacWorld called
>FRed Font editor that claimed to automatically antialias fonts (there was a
>nice picture to go along with it). If someone had this program, it seems they
>could easily whip off antialiased versions of all kinds of fonts.

For those who are interested, the FRed Font editor was acquired on the eve
of the Spring Seybold DTP show in San Francisco last month by LetraSet,
who expect to bring it out commercially later this year.  In my opinion,
it was a terrific acquisition, based on looking at the program at the
SF MacWorld Expo (hidden away in Brooks Hall); I can't understand
why Adobe or Aldus didn't snatch it up (for different motivations).
Though I'm personally not a fan of ReadySetGo, the rest of LetraSet's
graphics stable is quite strong.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

mackay@iisat.UUCP (Daniel MacKay) (04/26/89)

It is REALLY weird for Microsoft Canada to be organized enough to ship
anything for six months after it comes out- mine must be a mistake.

Since I just bought 3.x a few months ago, my upgrade was free.

I do use the Diablo 630 serial driver that came with Word 3. The 4.0 manual
says the old driver doesn't work with 4.0, and they don't ship the driver
with it- now you have to write away to get the serial drivers.

So it comes with the macro package, Superpaint, and a Thesaurus.  Superpaint's
hot-linked to the Word doc like an Excel doc can be under Multifinder.
--
+---------+	From the		IIS Public Usenet
+---------+				MACKAY@DALAC.BITNET

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/28/89)

In article <492@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>In article <8264@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>>Anyway RasterOps makes a board which does what you want with two
>>caveats: it will only run in 1-bit or 8-bit modes (2 or 256 colors),
>>why they didn't implement 2 and 4-bit modes I don't know.
>
>Gee, off the top of my head, I can think of one very good reason.  The
>reason they didn't implement it is because nobody uses 2 or 4 bit
>modes.  I for one have yet to see an application that uses 2 or 4 bit
>graphics [etc.]
>
>IMHO the 2 and 4 bit Color Quickdraw modes were a waste of time.

Well, you're usually right, but I think you blew it on this one.

What about the huge number of people who bought 4-bit Apple boards? I
often see people using 4-bit color. If they couldn't they would be
very very unhappy.

This doesn't have anything to do with RasterOps' decision not to support
2 and 4-bit, just with software companies' support for 2 and 4-bit.

There is another good reason to support 2 and 4-bit, but Apple has lazily
given up the initiative on this issue and nobody has stepped forward to
replace them. That reason is anti-aliased fonts. It is truly ridiculous
that after more than 2 years of support for gray scales, there are no such
fonts available (that I know of. Certainly, none widespread).

If such fonts existed they would be a very good reason to support 2-bit mode,
at least.

And if pigs had wings... :-(

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (04/29/89)

.
..IMHO the 2 and 4 bit Color Quickdraw modes were a waste of time.
.
What I'd always wanted to know was why Apple didn't support a 3-bit mode on
their video card.  Why might one want a 3-bit graphics mode?  Well, 3-bits
would be suffcient to render the colors found in the [non color] quickdraw
programs and it should be faster than 4-bit mode since there's less bits to
move around.

.
.What about the huge number of people who bought 4-bit Apple boards? I
.often see people using 4-bit color. If they couldn't they would be
.very very unhappy.
.

Interesting.  Although I agree with you that the 4-bit mode should be
supported (if not for anything else, an 8-bit card should be able to double
buffering in 4-bit mode), I haven't seen anyone with just a 4-bit card after
the initial video-RAM crunch.  It seems that if one can afford a Mac
II/IIcx/IIx one would be able to invest the extar $150 to get 8-bit video.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| US Mail:   202C Grenadier Drive, Liverpool, NY 13090                      |
| Phone:     Work: 1-315-456-3214,  Home: 1-315-622-0362                    |
| Delphi:    chow2                                                          |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (04/30/89)

[ someone says that they haven't seen anyone who stayed at four bit
  video after the video ram crunch ended ]

Well, now you have.  I'm still at four bits.  I run 1 bit most of the
time.  I only switch to 4 bit to play Chuck Yaeger's Advanced Flight
Trainer, which supports 4 bits ( and looks really yucky in 1 bit ).

If I were going to upgrade my video, I would put the money towards
a larger display.

						Tim Smith

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (05/03/89)

In article <7848@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>What I'd always wanted to know was why Apple didn't support a 3-bit mode on
>their video card.  Why might one want a 3-bit graphics mode?  Well, 3-bits
>would be suffcient to render the colors found in the [non color] quickdraw
>programs and it should be faster than 4-bit mode since there's less bits to
>move around.

But if you have only 3 bits/pixel, a pixel can cross a byte boundary.
I suppose you could introduce padding, but that would be nasty as
well.

-Sho

res12@snoopy.UMD.EDU (Matthew T. Russotto) (05/03/89)

In article <2235@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>In article <7848@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>>What I'd always wanted to know was why Apple didn't support a 3-bit mode on
>>their video card.  Why might one want a 3-bit graphics mode?  Well, 3-bits
>>would be suffcient to render the colors found in the [non color] quickdraw
>>programs and it should be faster than 4-bit mode since there's less bits to
>>move around.
>
>But if you have only 3 bits/pixel, a pixel can cross a byte boundary.
>I suppose you could introduce padding, but that would be nasty as
>well.
>
>-Sho

I think a 3-bit mode would definitely be SLOWER than the 4 bit mode, for the
reason you mention.  Actually, 8-bit mode is FASTER than 4-bit mode, since
Quickerdraw and/or system 6.0.x, because it is much quicker to move a byte at
a time rather than a nybble..
--
DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
             they don't want me sharing my opinions.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/07/89)

In article <7848@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>What I'd always wanted to know was why Apple didn't support a 3-bit mode on
>their video card.  Why might one want a 3-bit graphics mode?  Well, 3-bits
>would be suffcient to render the colors found in the [non color] quickdraw
>programs and it should be faster than 4-bit mode since there's less bits to
>move around.

This does not make any sense to me. First off, why is having the same
number of colors as old quickdraw beneficial? Both run on a clor-capable
Mac anyway.

Second, I'll give you odds that three-bit is slower than four-bit (if you
could do it at all). With four bit color, your pixels are byte-aligned, but
with three-bit, you ALWAYS have to shift bits. Yuck.

Also, It's been two and a half years since I read leviticus (or whatever
the hell the early color-QD docs were called), but I seem to remember that
there are a few fundamental assumptions made for color-QD that the number of
bits is a power (or just multiple?) of two, though I could be wrong...

>In article <1783@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>.What about the huge number of people who bought 4-bit Apple boards? I
>.often see people using 4-bit color. If they couldn't they would be
>.very very unhappy.
>
>Interesting.  Although I agree with you that the 4-bit mode should be
>supported (if not for anything else, an 8-bit card should be able to double
>buffering in 4-bit mode), I haven't seen anyone with just a 4-bit card after
>the initial video-RAM crunch.  It seems that if one can afford a Mac
>II/IIcx/IIx one would be able to invest the extar $150 to get 8-bit video.

Not really relevant. Lots of people have machines bought by company (or
department) purchasing agent. They get color, because the PCs have color,
but nobody thinks they need more, so they don't specifically look for it on
the price lists. Also, it's just one more thing to think about.

---