[comp.sys.mac] How to change HD Icons

lu@blake.acs.washington.edu (Joseph Lu) (05/05/89)

I am fed up with looking at the ugly hard disk icons (CIA HD) and want to
change them.  I tried ResEdit and Facade, ResEdit did not work out and Facade
did not let choose what I wanted for hard disk names though it changed the icon
when naming the HD as one of the built-in names.

Anyone out there could share with me where the HD icons are stored and how to
change them regardless what the name is given to it.

Thanks in advance.

--
UU   UU WW       WW |  Chemical Eng. @ University of Washingtom (UW), Seattle
UU   UU WW   W   WW |  LU@Max.acs.Washington.edu     (206)-543-5419 (o)

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/05/89)

In article <1893@blake.acs.washington.edu> lu@blake.acs.washington.edu (Joseph Lu) writes:
>I am fed up with looking at the ugly hard disk icons (CIA HD) and want to
>change them.  I tried ResEdit and Facade, ResEdit did not work out and Facade
>did not let choose what I wanted for hard disk names though it changed the icon
>when naming the HD as one of the built-in names.

With Facade, all you need to do is rename the ICN# resource (or was it
the ICON resource? I don't remember anymore) with ResEdit to the name
of your hard disk.  Apparently, there's something out there called
FaceLift that does basically the same thing.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

Marriott1@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greggy) (05/06/89)

In article <24054@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu
(Alexander Lau) writes:
> Joseph Lu) writes:
> >I am fed up with looking at the ugly hard disk icons (CIA HD) and want
> >change them.  I tried ResEdit and Facade, ResEdit did not work out and
Facade
> >did not let choose what I wanted for hard disk names though it changed
the icon
> >when naming the HD as one of the built-in names.
>
> With Facade, all you need to do is rename the ICN# resource (or was it
> the ICON resource? I don't remember anymore) with ResEdit to the name
> of your hard disk.  Apparently, there's something out there called
> FaceLift that does basically the same thing.

I wrote both FaceLift and Facade.  FaceLift only worked at boot time,
putting the new icon directly into the driver's storage area.  Facade is
dynamic, and works by giving the requestor of the icon a different one if
the name of the volume matches one in its dictionary.

Alex was right about using ResEdit.  Change the names of the ICN#
resources in the FacadeIcons file to match the volumes whose icons you
wish to replace.  If you don't have version 1.0b5 or later, the icons will
be in Facade itself.  I'll be posting vers 1.0 to comp.binaries.mac in a
few days.

Hope this helps.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Greg Marriott               +                      AppleLink: Marriott1 +
+ Just Some Guy               +                                           +
+ "My phone is always busy"   +   Internet: Marriott1@AppleLink.Apple.Com +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Just in case disclaimers mean anything at all:                          +
+    What I say comes from my own twisted perception of the world         +
+    and does not represent the policy or opinion of Apple Computer, Inc. +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/08/89)

/* Written by lu@blake.acs.washington.edu in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "How to change HD Icons (Help Wanted" ---------- */
>I am fed up with looking at the ugly hard disk icons (CIA HD) and want to
>change them.  I tried ResEdit and Facade, ResEdit did not work out and Facade
>did not let choose what I wanted for hard disk names though it changed the icon
>when naming the HD as one of the built-in names.
>
>Anyone out there could share with me where the HD icons are stored and how to
>change them regardless what the name is given to it.
>
>--
>UU   UU WW       WW |  Chemical Eng. @ University of Washingtom (UW), Seattle
>UU   UU WW   W   WW |  LU@Max.acs.Washington.edu     (206)-543-5419 (o)
>UU   UU WW  WWW  WW |  LU@Max.Bitnet
> UUUUU   WWWW WWWW  |  LU@Blake.acs.Washington.edu

  I remember asing this myself about a year ago -- ahhh, memories!

  The upshot of the responses (and the result of my own digging around)
is that the icon for the hard disk is stored in the driver itself.  So,
if you want to change it, you have to find it in the code of your company's
HD Setup program, change it there, and re-Setup your hard drive.

  I was basically S.O.L. because I have an Apple HDSC 20, and Apple's
HD Setup, though it has the binary for the icon, and I found it in both
places and changed it, blows up when you change things like that.  It
just sits there and unmounts my drive.  So there must be some sort of
checksum thingy that doesn't like me changing the icon -- what a pain.

  The workaround I used for a couple months (before I settled on Facade --
I don't rename my HD much, so all I had to do was put in the ICN# I wanted,
make sure its name (you can find its name in the Get Info box while using
ResEdit to put in the ICN#) was the same as the name of my HD, and stick
it in the system folder -- you can do it too, pretty easily) was an INIT
called BootDiskIcon which I snatched off sumex, written by a man from
Maitreya Design whose name escapes me at the moment.  It was a nifty little
thing that changes the icon of the boot disk, whatever it might be.
Since I always boot from my HD, it worked peachily.

  But all in all, I suggest Facade.  If I remember correctly, there was
a short set of docs which came with Facade to explain how to use it and
add your own icons to the batch.

  By the way, is there a way to have "wildcard" or "prefix" diskname
matches in Facade?  I'd love all my "WP" disks to have the same icon,
but I don't want to have to type in "WP 1", "WP 2", etc., for all 21 of them,
and then what if I add more?  Surely there's a shortcut?

- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
   "I melted wax to fix my wings ---    Cares What I Am Saying -- Lucky
    I've done all the dumb things."     Them."
  University of Illinois at U-C

  ARPANET: thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
  USMAILNET: 202 E Springfield #3B, Champaign IL 61820