[comp.sys.mac] An irritating bug in the SymbolFont

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (05/09/89)

In article <1029@tasis.utas.oz> ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) writes:
>There appears to be at least one character in the PS Symbol font that is not
>mapped onto the keyboard.  I am referring specifically to the left-pointing
>subset symbol.  The right-pointing version is there--Option-Space I think.

 Its all depends on what sort of KCHR-resource you have. The KCHR maps the
virtual keycode to ASCII. In all roman languages option-space is mapped
on $AC which _should_ be nonbreaking space. But there seems to be a "bug"
in the symbolfont because $AC denotes the superset symbol (i.e. a reversed
subset symbol). This means that you can't use nonbreaking space unless you
change font. This is very irretating because I find the nonbreaking space
very useful, especially when I write equations.

>So how in the blazes can I get at it?

 To get a permanent solution, use ResEdit 1.3d1 (or 1.2b3 if you have an
ADB keyboard) to change the KCHR. It's very simple, but you should do a backup
of the resource before you start. Consult TechNote #160 for more information.

 Otherwise you could use Character Map (FreeWare), or KeyFinder (SW or FW,
can't remember). With these DAs you could type any character in the font.

      /Olle