[comp.sys.mac] SE/30s, Superfloppies etc

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (05/08/89)

In article <13380@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:

>	Yesterday I joined the few, (the proud?), to own the SE/30, and
>
>To move on to more important things...
>
>What is the deal with this FDHD I have? I work in the computer store at
>the college, with consultants surrounding me, and it wasn't until I went to
>format a disk with my new SE/30 that I learned that you have to buy a different
>kind of diskette to use the 1.4 meg option.  Am I right here?  I can not
>format a double sided disk as 1.4M? This is the first the store has heard
>of it since we don't even carry HD 3.5 disks.  Ugh!

You can actually format a double density or single density disks as
the super density if you fool the computer into thinking they are HD
disks.  They have an extra hole like the erase protection hole on the
opposite edge of the disk to the erase protection shutter.  I made a
hole with a soldering iron, formatted the disk as 1.4M (in fact that
is the only way the Mac will format those types of disk) and then
copied 1.35M of stuff onto it.  It was a single sided disk btw.
I dont know about reliability, I only tried it as an exercise.
If you buy 1.4M disks they can only be formatted as 1.4M.  If you take
an MSDROS disk that has been formatted at 720 with the extra hole the
mac will not recognise it in AppleExchange, if I remember rightly and
will ask to initialise it.
Welcome to the confusion of MSDROS/Mac compatiblity!

PS I was interested to hear about the init that let you mount MSDROS
disks in the finder, it was by Dayna? Is it available ?
Anyone know?

John Mansfield
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (05/09/89)

The low-down I heard about the direct mounting of MS-DOS disks to the
Super-Drive was in last week's MacWEEK.  Briefly, they said that Apple was
planning on licensing (or buying or whatever) Dayna's utility that does
it with DaynaFile, and modifying it to work as an INIT.  I'm not sure if this
is exactly accurate, since I don't have it with me, but the bottom line is
that you will be able to BUY (yes BUY) this utility for your mac SEx and higher.
I'm not sure, but $60 is a figure that stands out in my mind...

-Jamie

"Oops! You mean you wanted me to SAVE that .signature??"

FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) (05/09/89)

In article <4319f2db.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu>, jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) writes:

>PS I was interested to hear about the init that let you mount MSDROS
>disks in the finder, it was by Dayna? Is it available ?
>Anyone know?
>
>John Mansfield

Yes, the Init is by Dayna, and, since Apple claims that it will be shipped
with the new external FDHDs (at least), I would presume that it is ready and
available. I have seen crippled demo versions of the init: at first I was
really confused because the damn thing (MS-Dos disk) came up on the screen just
like a Mac disk. I didn't get to play with it, but it seemed pretty neat.

F. Todd Wilson
Apple Student Consultant, Princeton University
AppleLink: ST0161