[comp.sys.mac] MS Word 4.0: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/04/89)

I've been using Microsoft Word for a few days now and my general impression
is that I really like it. They've fixed up some things I felt were missing
or poorly implemented and they added some nice brand new features. Here are
some random comments.

The GOOD

1.  Background repagination
    I *love* it. It great being able to see those page breaks *now*. And if
    there is a reason that background pagination is slowing things down, you
    can turn it off. How many wordprocessors can do this?

2.  Page View
    Very nice as well. This sort of thing can be very helpful when making
    up transparencies--you get a better "feel" for how much info you're packing
    on a page. My biggest complaint is that there seems to be no way to
    have half of one page on the screen and the half of the next page
    immediately below it. It always snaps the next page to the top of
    the screen (I'm referring specifically to a full page display, although
    the same is true for smaller screens). The only reason I can see that
    they would do this is for better performance.

    I also noticed that when I turned page numbers on with the Section
    command they did not appear on the screen in Page View. Putting page
    numbers in headers or footers does work however. Is this behaviour
    the way it's supposed to work?

3.  Tables
    Luv'ly. I have a document with some very large tables created in Word 3
    using column tabs. From what I can tell, Word 4's table feature
    will be ideal for me to use instead. They appear to be *very* flexible,
    although the dialog to set them up is a little awkward.

4.  Paragraph Borders
    I always *hated* the way this was done in version 3. I hardly ever
    need to box just a single paragraph. More often, I had to put a box
    around several distinct pieces of text. This usually meant I had to
    use side by side paragraphs and that looked ugly on the screen. The
    way they do it now is exactly the way I've felt it should have been
    done in the first place--select the paragraphs you want to box, and
    a box appears around the entire group, not each paragraph separately.
    The user interface for this is also nicely consistent with the table
    feature.

5.  Customization
    I like this. I know some people have complained, but let's fact it.
    You can't put every command in a menu, and this at least let's you
    pick which ones you want. It will be a pain if I have to go to
    another person's machine and use their Word 4.0 with different menus
    but it's no different when I go to a machine that doesn't have an
    extended keyboard or does have an extended keyboard but doesn't have
    their macros set up like mine. That's the price of individuality.

6.  Double clicking...
    They've added a few little things to the user interface to make things
    a little nicer. For example, double clicking on the page number window
    asks you to enter a new page number; double clicking on the split screen
    spot splits the screen and double clicking on it again closes it; double
    clicking on a footnote number automatically opens the footnote window
    with the cursor on the corresponding footnote. Little things like that
    were sorely missing in the previous version.

7.  Support for standard printer dialogs!
    That was one thing that burned me a lot in version 3. Now I can tell
    Word I want tall adjusted on by default and we won't get students
    printing their whole thesis with messes up margins. This will save
    be a lot of headaches.

That enough good points. I could add more, but who really cares. So now for
the BAD:

1.  Find/replace command
    What if I want to find all occurrences of Bookman bold and replace it with
    Times italic. I couldn't do it before and I can't fo it now. Accept of
    course by using the awkward cmd-option-R/cmd-option-A sequence, but that
    can be pretty time consuming in a large document and I don't really see
    it as the same thing. It's annoying to have to keep Fullwrite around
    just to use its powerful find/replace command for this purpose. I can't
    believe it would be so difficult to at least let you look for a piece of
    text that in a particular font. They obviously have the logic implemented
    in a fashion with the cmd-option-R command, so why not make it more
    accessible?

2.  Superscripts/Subscripts on/off
    The joke here is that there is no "off" option, just "on". You can turn
    everything off, and return to the "plain" for the current style, but
    what if I'm doing something in italics bold and start a superscript.
    Switching back to plain not only turns off superscripts, but italic and
    bold as well. It even switches the font if that's something other than
    normal. Am I missing something here or is there in fact a sub/superscript
    toggle like in Fullwrite (and many others)?

3.  Custom page sizes
    They seem to have gotten rid of this, or at least buried it somewhere I
    can't find it. You apparently can still do it for the imagewriter, but
    I have a document that I wrote in 14 point times on a 10.5 by 12 page
    which I then printed at a reduction on the laserwriter to give 8.5x11.
    Can this still be done?

Enough for the bad. Now the UGLY:

1.  Using negative numbers in the page margin to indicate you want footers/
    headers to overlay the main text is the ugliest user interface feature
    Word has (in my opinion). Why not have a check box that says "Overlay
    header/footers" on the document or section dialogs. It was ugly in
    version 3. It's ugly in version 4.

2.  I'll let the rest of you fill the rest in...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (05/04/89)

In article <1860@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I've been using Microsoft Word for a few days now and my general impression

... stuff deleted ...

>Enough for the bad. Now the UGLY:

>2.  I'll let the rest of you fill the rest in...

How about the third party macro maker and thesaurus.  Why MS couldn't have
written their own is beyond me.  Would MicroSoft care to comment?

Paul H. Steele      UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)
Wolfville, NS       Internet: Paul%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587
--
Paul H. Steele      UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)
Wolfville, NS       Internet: Paul%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587

>3.  Tables
>    Luv'ly.

It's been a real lifesaver for me, too. Also very intuitively implemented
and powerful.

>6.  Double clicking...
>    They've added a few little things to the user interface to make things
>    a little nicer.

Some of the little things nobody ever mentions about word are the things I
really like -- the small interface enhancements that I find really useful.
Things like extending selections based on the size of the first selection
(double-click to select a word, then every extension will also be by word
boundaries); being able to type 'y' or 'n' to a dialog instead of having to
click the 'yes' or 'no' buttons; little things -- but things that I keep
trying to use in other programs and bitching about because the other
programs *don't* support them. These are the things I really like about
Word.

>1.  Find/replace command
>    What if I want to find all occurrences of Bookman bold and replace it with
>    Times italic.

here's a way to work-around it (yes, it'd be nice to do this the way
FullWrite does it). "Save as" the file in RTF format. Then Word will let
your load the RTF text into the WP. You can then track down and change the
appropriate entries (RTF is sort-of human readable with practice), save the
changes to a TEXT file and then read the file back in. Word will evaluate
the RTF file and load it in with the changes. I just tried that, changing
Bookman bold to N Helvetica Narrow Italic. It works.

>2.  Superscripts/Subscripts on/off
>    The joke here is that there is no "off" option, just "on".

You don't seem to be missing anything. You can add Superscripts to a menu to
turn them on, but it doesn't toggle. You *can* toggle them by switching off
superscripts in the "Character" dialog, but it doesn't reset the font size.
It turns off the superscripting, but leaves the character 3 points smaller.
ugh.

>3.  Custom page sizes
>    They seem to have gotten rid of this, or at least buried it somewhere I
>    can't find it.

It seems to be gone. That may be something that fell prey to coming in line
with Apple's standard print dialogs and printer system.

>1.  Using negative numbers in the page margin to indicate you want footers/
>    headers to overlay the main text is the ugliest user interface feature
>    Word has (in my opinion).

Well, you do get used to it. Sort of.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Bookends. What a wonderful thought.

>How about the third party macro maker and thesaurus.  Why MS couldn't have
>written their own is beyond me.  Would MicroSoft care to comment?

Since I use QuickKeys, I've never touched the macromaker. But I have used
the thesaurus, and it's not bad. As to why MS didn't implement their own --
well, I'm not Microsoft, but I can give one reason: why re-implement the
wheel when a decent product is already available off the shelf? Do we really
need billions of different thesaurus products, each with their own quirks
and incompatible data files?

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (05/05/89)

In article <30155@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
|Things like extending selections based on the size of the first selection
|(double-click to select a word, then every extension will also be by word
|boundaries); being able to type 'y' or 'n' to a dialog instead of having to
|click the 'yes' or 'no' buttons; little things -- but things that I keep

Nothing new here; double clicks extending drags by word sized
increments are just about everywhere now, even plain old MacOS
TextEdit!  It even works in the Standard File dialog in the item for
the file name.  I agree about the 'y' and 'n', but its use is
spreading; MORE provides it, as do one or two other things (can't
recall for sure what without going back to try... maybe Excel? maybe
MPW?).

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

>Nothing new here; double clicks extending drags by word sized
>increments are just about everywhere now, even plain old MacOS
>TextEdit!

It sure doesn't work in the *other* text oriented program I live with --
Ready Set Go (throught 4.5). Which is a real hassle. Having to switch
mindsets every time I switch from Word to RSG was driving me crazy...

Actually, used to drive me crazy. I'm switching over to PageMaker because I
got tired of 4.5 crashing on me.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Bookends. What a wonderful thought.

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (05/05/89)

[]

I got my free upgrade (I bought the full version of 3.02 in mid august)
and it came with all the manuals, superpaint 1.1, coupon for $50 to
superpain 2.0 and all that.

In the 24 hours I have been playing with it (well, less than that, I
*did* sleep :-) I have noticed a few quirks.

1) The menus take FOREVER to draw!  What are they doing to the poor
menu manager???

2) When I first opened the font menu all of my LaserWriter fonts
(Avante Garde, Bookman, and the other 9 that come with the LaserWriter
Plus disks) were all in the menu.  FOUR TIMES EACH!  My menu read
like this:

Avant Garde
Avant Garde
Avant Garde
Avant Garde
Bookman
Bookman

You get the idea.

I had to go in with the Commands dialog to nuke all but one copy of each.
Why is this happening?

Scrolling is a bit slow in page view, but not as slow as Fullwrite (not that
this is saying very much).  In three column mode, the text updating is fast!
I typed a retrun in column one at the top of the page and columns two and
three shifted down very quickly.

All in all, it's pretty good.  I still have my Word Wish list, but it is
getting smaller.

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@dartvax.dartmouth.edu
31 North Main Street   |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |        Systems Programmer
Hanover NH, 03755      |     You kill -9 my ppid     | Kiewit Computation Center
603-643-2177           |        prepare to vi        |         Dartmouth College

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/06/89)

No one has commented on what I think is a problem... speed.
Put Word 4.0 into PageView and it's speed drops by an order
of magnitude.  Include some tables and it's gets worse.

I've got an SE/30, so I can deal with it.  I feel sorry for
people using it on a Plus.  It's not as bad as FullWrite, but
I would be looking at WriteNow or MacWrite II instead.

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (05/06/89)

>                     I agree about the 'y' and 'n', but its use is
> spreading; MORE provides it, as do one or two other things (can't
> recall for sure what without going back to try... maybe Excel? maybe
> MPW?).

Yes, MPW.  Also dBASE Mac (I liked this feature three years ago and put it
in) and many others.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (05/06/89)

"And in this corner, wieghing in at $249 retail, the challenger, MacWrite II!"

From article <1860@aucs.UUCP>, by peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele):
> I've been using Microsoft Word for a few days now and my general impression
> is that I really like it. They've fixed up some things I felt were missing
> or poorly implemented and they added some nice brand new features. Here are
> some random comments.
>
> The GOOD
>
> 1.  Background repagination
>     I *love* it. It great being able to see those page breaks *now*. And if
>     there is a reason that background pagination is slowing things down, you
>     can turn it off. How many wordprocessors can do this?

And to think that MicroSoft pushes this as a FEATURE!!  (snicker)

> 2.  Page View
>     Very nice as well. This sort of thing can be very helpful when making
>     up transparencies--you get a better "feel" for how much info you're
>     packing on a page....

Ditto ditto.  MWII is *always* in the mode that MicroSoft calls "Page View".
We are *always* WYSIWYG.  Pagination is *always* maintained.  Footnotes are
*always* on the correct page.  Standard operating procedure, not special
neato feature.

>                      ...My biggest complaint is that there seems to be no
>     way to have half of one page on the screen and the half of the next page
>     immediately below it. It always snaps the next page to the top of
>     the screen (I'm referring specifically to a full page display, although
>     the same is true for smaller screens). The only reason I can see that
>     they would do this is for better performance.

You betcha "better performance".  If you put a header and a footer and maybe
a table or a footnote or two and then try to do Page View Mode, you'll see
why they *needed* better performance.  I'd guess that it's just a little
faster than, say, MacWrite 5.0.

MWII is fast.  All the time.  And you can see more than one page at once.
And you can edit in "reduced view" mode.  [Word calls this "Page Preview",
and you can't do anything with the text but look.]

>	[page number question deleted]
> 3.  Tables
>     Luv'ly. I have a document with some very large tables created in Word 3
>     using column tabs. From what I can tell, Word 4's table feature
>     will be ideal for me to use instead. They appear to be *very* flexible,
>     although the dialog to set them up is a little awkward.

Here Word has us cold.  We don't do anything like this.  [Yet. :-)]  I
(gasp!) really like the flexibility it offers.  I have problems with the
interface, but to my knowledge no one's ever done this before (someone
correct me!).  This is a good first generation implementation.

> 4.  Paragraph Borders
>     I always *hated* the way this was done in version 3. I hardly ever
>     need to box just a single paragraph. More often, I had to put a box
>     around several distinct pieces of text. This usually meant I had to
>     use side by side paragraphs and that looked ugly on the screen. The
>     way they do it now is exactly the way I've felt it should have been
>     done in the first place--select the paragraphs you want to box, and
>     a box appears around the entire group, not each paragraph separately.
>     The user interface for this is also nicely consistent with the table
>     feature.

Once you get to the dialog, this is great.  Nothing like it in MWII.
I agree.  Much better than Word 3.0.

> 5.  Customization
>     I like this. I know some people have complained, but let's fact it.
>     You can't put every command in a menu, and this at least let's you
>     pick which ones you want. It will be a pain if I have to go to
>     another person's machine [...] That's the price of individuality.

Pardon.  (retch!)  Sorry.  No, we don't do this either.  Thank God.  I'm
really glad I'm not a Tech Support person at MicroSoft.  ("Now WHERE's your
Save command??")  [Please, no flames.  At least, don't post them.]

> 6.  Double clicking...
>     They've added a few little things to the user interface to make things
>     a little nicer. For example, double clicking on the page number window
>     asks you to enter a new page number; double clicking on the split screen
>     spot splits the screen and double clicking on it again closes it; double
>     clicking on a footnote number automatically opens the footnote window
>     with the cursor on the corresponding footnote. Little things like that
>     were sorely missing in the previous version.

And little things like that are sorely missing in the current version.
Word's user interface is one of the worst I've seen for any Macintosh
program.  (LaserPaint wins the Golden Turkey Award, but that's another
flame for another day.)

I've never head anyone say "I really like Word's interface".  I hear quite
a bit of "I don't really like it, but I'm used to it." and "It's too powerful
to be easy to use." and "Look at all these neato features!!"  [Ho boy.  Look
at my mailbox filling up! :-)]

MWII doesn't have header/footer/footnote windows.  Just one window, and it
looks at the *page*.  Unfortunately, we can't split it.

Our user interface is one of the *best* (cleanest, most consitent, easiest
to learn) I've seen for any Macintosh program.  I have my share of problems
with it, but overall I think the people who designed the interface did a
wonderful job.  [I wish I were one of those people.  Oh well.  There's always
the next version.... :-)]

> 7.  Support for standard printer dialogs!
>     That was one thing that burned me a lot in version 3. Now I can tell
>     Word I want tall adjusted on by default and we won't get students
>     printing their whole thesis with messes up margins. This will save
>     be a lot of headaches.

It's about farkin' time!

> That enough good points. I could add more, but who really cares. So now for
> the BAD:
>
> 1.  Find/replace command
>     What if I want to find all occurrences of Bookman bold and replace it
>     with Times italic. I couldn't do it before and I can't fo it now. Accept
>     of course by using the awkward cmd-option-R/cmd-option-A sequence, but
>     that can be pretty time consuming in a large document and I don't really
>     see it as the same thing.  [...]

It has been noted that this can be done by saving as RTF, editing the result,
and reimporting it.  Yeah.  Right.  Sure.

MacWrite II find/replaces fonts, styles, and/or sizes.

> 2.  Superscripts/Subscripts on/off
>     The joke here is that there is no "off" option, just "on". You can turn
>     everything off, and return to the "plain" for the current style, but
>     what if I'm doing something in italics bold and start a superscript.
>     Switching back to plain not only turns off superscripts, but italic and
>     bold as well. [...]

We don't have this problem.  Just pick "SuperScript" again.

> 3.  Custom page sizes
>     They seem to have gotten rid of this, or at least buried it somewhere I
>     can't find it. You apparently can still do it for the imagewriter, but
>     I have a document that I wrote in 14 point times on a 10.5 by 12 page
>     which I then printed at a reduction on the laserwriter to give 8.5x11.
>     Can this still be done?

We don't do it either.

> Enough for the bad. Now the UGLY:
>
> 1.  Using negative numbers in the page margin to indicate you want footers/
>     headers to overlay the main text is the ugliest user interface feature
>     Word has (in my opinion). Why not have a check box that says "Overlay
>     header/footers" on the document or section dialogs. It was ugly in
>     version 3. It's ugly in version 4.

And it'll be ugly in version 5.  A similar Word "feature" lets you choose
between fixed and flexible line spacing.  If the number of pixels is positive,
it's flexible.  If it's negative, it's fixed.  Hot diggety damn!

Again, we don't have these sort of problems.

> 2.  I'll let the rest of you fill the rest in...

Oh yes!!  Please do!!

--
Jeff Erickson       Claris Corporation  | Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
408/987-7309      Applelink: Erickson4  |   Why'd you do that in my eye?

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (05/06/89)

[Word 4.0 vs. MWII]

I don't know about the more obscure bugs in these programs, but one BIG
advantage of Word 4.0 over WriteII is the ability to convert parts of a page
into columnar format. If you want a regular block of text on the top half
of a page, and 3 columns on the bottom half, it's a snap with Word4, but as
far as I can tell, it's impossible (or at least not conveniently implemented)
in Write II.

Ron

 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (05/08/89)

From article <12830@ut-emx.UUCP>, by osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP:
> [Word 4.0 vs. MWII]
>
> I don't know about the more obscure bugs in these programs, but one BIG
> advantage of Word 4.0 over WriteII is the ability to convert parts of a page
> into columnar format. If you want a regular block of text on the top half
> of a page, and 3 columns on the bottom half, it's a snap with Word4, but as
> far as I can tell, it's impossible (or at least not conveniently implemented)
> in Write II.

You're right.  It's impossible in MWII.

--
Jeff Erickson       Claris Corporation  | Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
408/987-7309      Applelink: Erickson4  |   Why'd you do that in my eye?
krazy@claris.com     ames!claris!krazy  | I won't fret, and I won't cry.
       "I'm a heppy, heppy ket!"        |   I'm just glad that cows don't fly.

fischer@arisia.Xerox.COM (Ronald A. Fischer) (05/09/89)

Tables, as in the convenient implementation seen in MS Word 4.0, were
done similarly in Viewpoint from Xerox and I believe in the
predecessor Star.

Imagine what adding a (partial) syntactic parser to your english
documents could do, change format of lists from inline with commas to
bullets automagically, check plurality of sentences, etc.  There's
still plenty of room for real improvement instead of increasingly
large feature lists.

Sadly, the hardware manufacturers aren't quite proviing the right "OS
level" (eh hem) toolkits to build applications.  Apple has a start
with MacApp.

(ron)

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/09/89)

In article <10094@claris.com> krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) writes:
>"And in this corner, wieghing in at $249 retail, the challenger, MacWrite II!"
>
>From article <1860@aucs.UUCP>, by peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele):
>> I've been using Microsoft Word for a few days now and my general impression
>> is that I really like it. They've fixed up some things I felt were missing
>> or poorly implemented and they added some nice brand new features. Here are
>> some random comments.

    Stuff deleted

>> 5.  Customization
>>     I like this. I know some people have complained, but let's fact it.
>>     You can't put every command in a menu, and this at least let's you
>>     pick which ones you want. It will be a pain if I have to go to
>>     another person's machine [...] That's the price of individuality.
>
>Pardon.  (retch!)  Sorry.  No, we don't do this either.  Thank God.  I'm
>really glad I'm not a Tech Support person at MicroSoft.  ("Now WHERE's your
>Save command??")  [Please, no flames.  At least, don't post them.]

More stuff deleted

I thought the whole idea about customization was to put in or take out
the features that you needed. If you took out a lot of unused features
the program should load faster and run faster. Not Word 4.0. I never thought
that an application would get slower as the version numbers increased.

I tried word 4.0 on a mac II and it seems pretty slow. I think they've
gone too far with there customizing.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       stores@unix.sri.com