[comp.sys.mac] WriteMove -- anybody used one??

flanagan@apollo.COM (Kevin Flanagan) (05/08/89)

I was thinking of buying a WriteMove printer as
an alternative to an Imagewriter.  MacUser's review
wasn't that good but MacWorld seemed to like it.
Anybody out there have any experiences they can relate.
The printer's portability is a nice feature, but no means
necessary.  I'm just looking for good output and I
can't afford a Laser printer!

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Flanagan         [flanagan@apollo.uucp]
Network R&D            [flanagan@apollo.com]
Apollo Computer, Inc.  [{decwrl!decvax,mit-eddie,attunix,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!flanagan]
(508)256-6600

sasaki@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Dr. Jim Sasaki ) (05/09/89)

In article <4319ee86.1608b@apollo.COM> flanagan@apollo.COM (Kevin Flanagan)
writes:
> I was thinking of buying a WriteMove printer as an alternative to an
> Imagewriter....  Anybody out there have any experiences they can relate?

I bought a WriteMove about a month ago and am pretty happy with it.  It's
*much* quieter than an Imagewriter and has somewhat better resolution (196 dpi
versus 144 dpi).  Its worst feature is that the Mac (SE) takes a while to grind
through the outline font calculations.  The spooler GCC provides doesn't speed
up the process appreciably: the page computations don't seem to be done in the
background, and since that (and not printer speed) is the bottleneck, the
spooler is not much help.  If you have a faster Mac, your situation might
differ.

When it runs out of ink, it prints a few pages slightly light, but then runs
out abruptly.  This means you don't waste ink, but it also means that you'd
better have an extra ink cartridge around if you're not sure how much ink
you've got left.  The ink takes a little while to dry, so you can't just print
something and then start proofreading it.  (Well, you *can*, but you'll get ink
everwhere.)

I heard that Diconix has come out with a Diconix 150 Plus.  The WriteMove is an
OEM version of the Diconix 150 (it has a different ROM).  If you're interested
in a WriteMove, you might want to check out the Diconix 150 Plus to see what
its resolution is, whether or not you can hook it to a Grappler of some sort,
and so on.

    -- Jim Sasaki (sasaki@umbc3.umbc.edu)

Please append standard disclaimer w.r.t. GCC and the University of Maryland.

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (05/09/89)

In article <4319ee86.1608b@apollo.COM> flanagan@apollo.COM (Kevin Flanagan) writes:
>I was thinking of buying a WriteMove printer as
>an alternative to an Imagewriter.
>Kevin Flanagan         [flanagan@apollo.uucp]
It seems to me that a WriteMove would be an OK printer to use as long as you
respect its shortcomings.  It prints very slowly especially in the best quality
mode and you have to use special clay coated paper to get best results.  It's
best used as a printer for salesmen and such to take with them on business trips
However, it is very compact and prints at a slightly better quality than the
ImageWriter for a comparable price.  If you don't mind the wait while it prints,
go for it.

-Ace