[comp.sys.mac] DeskJet questions.

pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (04/27/89)

Couple of questions about the Deskjet+

Will the speed increase be noticeable with the Macintosh since the Mac
prints through the serial port?

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of paper which works well with the
DeskJet?  I tried and like a sample of Hammermill LaserPrint 24, but I
haven't seen it in stores around here (course I have haven't looked too
hard, but ...)

Is there any possibility of the DeskJet ever printing in color?  It seems
that new drivers for various computers would be needed for it to print
one color, pause, prompt for the user to put in a different color cartridge,
and print the next color, but that doesn't seem out of the question as far
as difficulty goes (for me anyway, not knowing better).

Thanks a lot!

Adam Engst

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (04/28/89)

I might mention that I just saw a new all-time low price for the Deskjet
of $517 - advertised by a well known company in Hartford CT.

Yes, thats brand new.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (04/29/89)

In article <17682@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>I might mention that I just saw a new all-time low price for the Deskjet
>of $517 - advertised by a well known company in Hartford CT.

A relatively unknown company (Oregon Digital) whose offices are next to where
I work have the new Deskjet+ for $720 and the old Deskjet for $520.  Also I
was told that if you buy the Deskjet+ after May 1 you will receive a coupon for
a free font cartridge.  I think the free cartridge is an HP offer not specific
to Oregon Digital.

>Yes, thats brand new.

SD:  I have no connection to Oregon Digital (I've never purchased anything
from them so I can't even say, "except as a satisfied customer"), or to HP,
except as a satisfied customer (I've purchased a couple of their calculators).

Milt Sagen                    Internet: sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331          Tele: (503) 754-4631

koehn@cat59.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) (05/01/89)

In article <10272@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> sagen@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Milt Sagen) writes:

>A relatively unknown company (Oregon Digital) whose offices are next to where
>I work have the new Deskjet+ for $720 and the old Deskjet for $520.  Also I
>was told that if you buy the Deskjet+ after May 1 you will receive a coupon for
>a free font cartridge.  I think the free cartridge is an HP offer not specific
>to Oregon Digital.

What is the difference between the deskjet and the deskjet+?  I want to buy
one, but I'd prefer to know if something much better is around.  Is the DJ+
compatible with the DJ drivers (I would assume so, but who knows)?

Thanks much,
Brad Koehn
"Fly like an Emu!"

ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) (05/02/89)

In article <2642@puff.cs.wisc.edu> koehn@cat59.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) writes:
>In article <10272@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> sagen@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Milt Sagen) writes:
>>
>>A relatively unknown company (Oregon Digital) whose offices are next to where
>>I work have the new Deskjet+ for $720 and the old Deskjet for $520.  Also I
...etc...
>What is the difference between the deskjet and the deskjet+?  I want to buy
>one, but I'd prefer to know if something much better is around.  Is the DJ+
>compatible with the DJ drivers (I would assume so, but who knows)?
>
>Brad Koehn

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I'm curious to know what else one needs
to utilize the HP DJ printers. (I presume a hardware interface) Is it really
cheaper than a LW? (prices anyone?) How about compatibility? (what does one
forfeit?)

A brief look shows a laserprinter for a mac with a price in the $500 range!
(it's GOT to be too good to be true:^) Somebody bring me down to Earth, please.

If you would be so kind, email direct. If there's enough interest, I'll post
a summary.

Thanks,

Ron
  ron_b@apollo.com

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/03/89)

(Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>I might mention that I just saw a new all-time low price for the Deskjet
>of $517 - advertised by a well known company in Hartford CT.
>
>Yes, thats brand new.

That's not a big surprise. H-P lowered the list price on these machines to
$799 at the same time that they announced the DeskJet Plus, which sells for
$995. The Plus is considerably faster (with PCs- I've no idea if it's faster
with the Mac), and I would guess that as soon as they run out of the old
model they'll stopp selling them, but that's just a guess.

This is not to say that that's not a good price for a good printer.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

mw@hpctdls.HP.COM (Michael Waughn) (05/04/89)

Here's the differences between the DeskJet and the DeskJet+ that
I have seen written.

The basic differences between the DESKJET and the DESKJET PLUS are:

*  IMPROVED SPEED:  Up to 2 times faster in text
                    Up to 5 times faster in graphics

*  BUILT-IN LANDSCAPE:  Spreadsheets, Single font text

*  IMPROVED FONTS:  More built-in fonts (6 portrait and 4 landscape)
                    Taller fonts (up to 30 point bitmapped)
                    Improved soft font ability (up to 512K memory)
                    Revised proportionally spaced fonts

All this at just $995.00

This is all pretty informal stuff that I have seen, no hard performance
numbers.  Let me also add that I'm sure these numbers come from testing
on PC's and NOT Mac's.  Also, I've never seen a DeskJet+, so I'm only
passing on the things that I've read.

Also, ron_b@appollo.com (sorry I don't have your name) if you could post
the results of what you have found about the Mac and the DeskJet, at least
I would be interested.

Mike Waughn
-----------

BIG DISCLAIMER:  I represent myself, not Hewlett-Packard in any way.  I'm only
speaking as one Mac owner to another.  Also, do not use this in anyway as
a claim of performance on the part of Hewlett-Packard.

mw@hpctdls.HP.COM (Michael Waughn) (05/04/89)

>/ pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU /  6:15 pm  Apr 26, 1989 /
>Is there any possibility of the DeskJet ever printing in color?  It seems
>that new drivers for various computers would be needed for it to print
>one color, pause, prompt for the user to put in a different color cartridge,
>and print the next color, but that doesn't seem out of the question as far
>as difficulty goes (for me anyway, not knowing better).

>Thanks a lot!

>Adam Engst
>pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

I don't know about the DeskJet printing in color, but HP does make another
ink jet printer that does print in color called the PaintJet.

Unfortunately, it only has 180 dpi max.:-<

But, you can print in up to 330 colors.:-)

Mike Waughn
----------

BIG DISCLAIMER:  All ideas expressed here are my own, not my employers,
Hewlett-Packard's.  I'm just speaking as one Mac owner to another.

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) (05/05/89)

Regarding the relative speeds of the DeskJet and DeskJet+, I have a
both of them in my office and can report that while the Plus is
visibly faster, it is also more obvious that the Mac cannot, through
the serial port, push data at it fast enough for that speed improvement
to be fully realized.  That is, I get performance of a ~2 second burst
of very fast printing, then ~5 seconds of collecting data for the next
pass at the printer.

I have it hooked up at 19,200 and have tried both the Orange Micro
Grappler and the DataPak Printer Interface III programs with the
same results.

Ironically, I believe that I received my evaluation DeskJet+ before
any of the Mac printer driver companies did; more than one, upon
hearing that I have the Plus, asked me to test their program against
it for them...

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Los Altos, California
				        {decwrl,apple} ! limbo!taylor
taylor@limbo.intuitive.com	or    taylor%limbo.uucp@decwrl.dec.com

koehn@cat19.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) (05/07/89)

In article <050489105949.001@limbo.intuitive.com> taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>Regarding the relative speeds of the DeskJet and DeskJet+, I have a
>both of them in my office and can report that while the Plus is
>visibly faster, it is also more obvious that the Mac cannot, through
>the serial port, push data at it fast enough for that speed improvement
>to be fully realized.  That is, I get performance of a ~2 second burst
>of very fast printing, then ~5 seconds of collecting data for the next
>pass at the printer.
>
>taylor@limbo.intuitive.com	or    taylor%limbo.uucp@decwrl.dec.com

I have just purchased the DeskJet,  and I am VERY satisfied with the machine.
I am using the HPDJ driver (public domain) and it works quite well.
I would be surprised if the DJ+ offered much of a speed increase on the
Mac, since even on my (deskjet) system,  the printer has to wait for the
serial link to gather data before it prints, so what is the difference if
it has to wait, then print, or if the DJ+ has to wait, then print REALLY
fast?

Brad Koehn
"Fly like an Emu!"

ps This problem could be solved with a high speed serial - parallel
converter.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/08/89)

> That is, I get performance of a ~2 second burst
> of very fast printing, then ~5 seconds of collecting data for the next
> pass at the printer.
>						-- Dave Taylor

Questions

(1) Do you use a 1 Mb Mac Plus?  With limited memory, the Mac composes
pages using horizontal "bands", and has to redraw the picture several
times, once for each band.  Your 2 second burst might be the band draw
time, and 5 seconds might be the time to redraw the next band in
memory.  In that case, with more memory you might never see the 5
second pause.  If you have more than 1Mb, then this probably isn't the
reason for the slowness.

(2) Has anyone used this printer with a Mac II?  Does it go faster?
Did the Mac II have more than 1Mb of memory?

(3) I heard it costs nearly 10c a page to print, when you figure in
paper costs, and the expensive ink cartridges.  Is this still true
with the Deskjet+?

sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (05/09/89)

In article <126900010@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>(3) I heard it costs nearly 10c a page to print, when you figure in
>paper costs, and the expensive ink cartridges.  Is this still true
>with the Deskjet+?

One thing about the Deskjet+ is the type of paper you can use.  The manual
suggests photocopy paper and explicitly says "Do not use ink jet paper in
your Deskjet Plus printer."

What the final cost per sheet will boil down to I don't know but 10c a page
seems a bit high.  If a cartridge lasts for 500 pages and costs $15, and
photocopy paper can be had for 3c a sheet then the cost would be 6c per page.

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/09/89)

In article <126900010@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> (2) Has anyone used this printer with a Mac II?  Does it go faster?
> Did the Mac II have more than 1Mb of memory?

I use a DeskJet with my Mac II (5 Megs, usually running under
MultiFinder).  I use version 2.0 of the DataPak Software driver, with a
few little hacks of my own.

When printing Mac screen-fonts at 300 DPI, the print speed is limited
primarily by the printer's own processor.  The printer cannot keep up
with the Mac, when the printer is swallowing compressed graphics (mode 1
compression) at 19.2 kbits/second.  I stuck an RS-232 line monitor on
the serial line, and saw that the line was spending about 30% of its
time idle with the "Clear to Send" signal deasserted... the printer's
buffer was full.

My understanding is that the DeskJet Plus can keep up with the 19.2
kbit/second serial port under these conditions... the printing speed is
limited by the serial port transfer rate, and not by the printer.  Using
a parallel interface will increase the speed quite a bit, if the Mac can
keep up... the data transfer is faster, and the printer uses DMA rather
than port-polling.

> (3) I heard it costs nearly 10c a page to print, when you figure in
> paper costs, and the expensive ink cartridges.  Is this still true
> with the Deskjet+?

I calculated my costs at under $.03/page for ink... this assumes a
conservative lifetime of 500 pages per cartridge (on the low end; I'm
actually getting about 800)) and a cartridge cost of $15 (quantity-6
price by mail).  Figure $.02/page for paper if you buy at The Price Club
or a similar discount-store.

Your mileage may vary... if you print pages filled with solid black
areas (pie charts, bar charts, bitmapped graphics, etc.) then you may
get only a few hundred pages per cartridge.

DeskJet printing-costs per page are higher than those for a LaserWriter
or LaserJet, due mostly to the higher ink costs.  I figured the
break-even point for the DeskJet/LaserJet comparison at about 30,000
pages... more than that, and the lower per-page costs for a LaserJet
make up for the higher purchase price.  This figure assumes "normal"
use of the printer... letter-quality text, and a limited amount of
graphics.

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com