[comp.sys.mac] SE/30s, Games and sounds

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/10/89)

In article <2802@mibte.UUCP> jnj@mibte.UUCP (Jim Jackson) writes:
>	We had the same problem with HARDBALL.  The music starts as the first
>screen disolves, but there is NO sound throughout the rest of the game.  Some
>one in our group talked with someone at apple and was told that some of the
>games used some internal fudging that is no longer supported but I'm sure the
>net would like a better explanation than this, and so would we.  After all, this
>was a second-hand heresay explanation that was not understood.  Does anyone know
>the facts?

Don't know the facts, but the games that have exhibited problems with the
SEx have been able to be fixed in one of two ways:

a)  Are the sounds that the game came with in a different folder than the
    game itself?  Yes, I know you probably already checked this, but some
    of those games still think they're on an MFS disk...

b)  For some reason, GATO 1.42 will play sounds properly... when you're
    running it under MultiFinder instead of Finder.  Worth a try...

If you're looking for reasons, I would suspect that Apple is probably close
to right in this case -- games manufacturers who didn't stick to sound
playback guidelines. (OR... perhaps sound guidelines weren't
available/explicit at the time the program was developed...)

>	By the way, the sounds are available in the folder and can be played
>using SoundMaster, so the SE/30 IS capable of producing these sounds.

Quite capable.  I'm digitizing like a crazy man with my SEx these days, and
outside of SoundMaster sometimes causing problems with Sound playback
programs under MultiFinder, I haven't had any problems...

                           "What in th' wide, Wide World of Sports is goin' on
                            here?"
                                           -- Slim Pickens, BLAZING SADDLES
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...