[comp.sys.mac] System 7.0 Disclosure

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (05/09/89)

System Software Directions Overview

On May 9, 1989, Apple will disclose future system software plans
to third-party developers attending the annual World-Wide
Developer's Conference.  The disclosures will cover the core
technologies under development for inclusion in the next major
Macintosh System Software release, System 7.0.

The purpose of the disclosure is to ensure that developers have
the time and information necessary to capitalize on the new
features and functionality of System 7.0.  By doing this, we
believe that many new, more powerful applications will be
available at the time System 7.0 is introduced.  We will also take
this opportunity to hold an informal press seminar to begin
educating the media on Macintosh System Software.

Below is an overview of the core feature set planned for System
7.0.  While it's still too early in the development cycle to
announce a customer availability plan or introduction date, we
will begin seeding developers with code in the fall.  As we make
further progress on System 7.0, we will provide additional
details.

System Software Release Strategy

In early 1989, Apple announced a new system software release
strategy to accommodate the varying needs of current users, new
customers and Macintosh developers.  We now break our system
software into two release categories: Product Support Releases and
Feature Releases.

Product Support Releases are developed to support a new CPU,
peripheral or networking product.  Generally, these releases are
for buyers of newly introduced products and should not concern
current owners.

Feature releases are major enhancements to the system software
foundation that we encourage all users to adopt.  They
significantly enhance the capabilities of the Macintosh and add
substantial value to the installed base.  System 7.0 will be a
Feature release.

System 7.0 Goals

The primary goal of System 7.0 is to extend the user's reach.
System 7.0 demonstrates Apple's commitment to add value to the
installed base and to create new reasons to buy Macintosh.  The
new System 7.0 features will extend the capabilities of the
Macintosh using the consistent and intuitive techniques with which
users are already familiar.

System 7.0 Core Technologies:

Virtual Memory and 32-Bit Addressing

Virtual Memory extends the user's available memory by
transparently treating the hard disk as additional RAM.  This
allows users to run more and larger applications with less RAM.
Because Virtual Memory requires a memory management unit, it will
only benefit 68030 Macintosh systems (SE/30, IIcx, IIx), and 68020
systems with a PMMU (Macintosh II systems with optional 68851
PMMU).

32 Bit addressing will allow Macintosh computers to access 4
gigabytes of memory.  Combined with Virtual Memory, 32 Bit
Addressing will enable customers to take full advantage of more
sophisticated, memory intensive applications.

InterApplication Communication Architecture (IAC)

The IAC architecture is an integrated application-to-application
communications framework that will allow applications to exchange
data and instructions on a single Macintosh or over a network.

Outline Fonts

Outline Fonts will provide users with sharp text at any size on
any Macintosh display, printer, fax modem or other graphics
peripherals.  Further, leading type manufacturers have already
announced that they will support Apple's technology; this means
that users will be able to select from thousands of new typefaces
in the future.

Layout Manager

The Layout Manager will provide typographic quality text layout
for all applications.  The layout manager will allow any
application to offer advanced text positioning features including
kerning, ligatures and contextual forms.

New Print Architecture

The New Print Architecture will result in a wider variety of high-
quality printing devices for the Macintosh.  In addition, the New
Print Architecture will provide background printing for all types
of printers, improved color and halftone printing, and better user
control over printing.

Database Access

Database Access will provide Macintosh applications with access to
remote databases so that users can integrate host data into their
documents.

New Finder

A new version of the Finder that will make system operation
easier, more intuitive and more powerful.

Runs on all Macintosh Computers!

System 7.0 will run on all Macintosh systems from the Plus to the
IIx.  It will however, require a minimum of 2 megabytes of RAM.
Because System 7.0 will significantly increase the functionality
and usability of all Macintosh computers, we will strongly
encourage all customers to upgrade.  Apple will move the entire
product line to System 7.0.

During the transition, Apple will continue to ship one megabyte
configurations with System 6.0.  Apple expects to continue to
offer an attractive low-end product with System 7.0.  Apple will
provide technical support for both System 6.0 and System 7.0.

Applications Compatibility

System 7.0 is an upward compatible extension to Macintosh system
software.  Applications that follow Apple's Inside Macintosh
guidelines will continue to run under System 7.0.  By providing
developers with early details concerning System 7.0, Apple expects
a smooth transition to the new software.

What Should Users Do Now

Nothing!  System 7.0 will run on any Macintosh Plus, SE, SE/30, or
Macintosh II family member.  In fact, because System 7.0 will
offer substantially improved functionality, it will add
significant value to the entire installed base.System 7.0 will be
instrumental in extending the capabilities of the Macintoshand the
reach of the user.

Summary

Concerning this announcement, the key messages are:

  *   Apple is disclosing information about the core technologies
      under development for inclusion in the next major Macintosh
      System Software release, System 7.0.  Apple is doing this to
      enable developers to take advantage of the System 7.0
      functionality as soon as System 7.0 is released.

  *   Later this year Apple will announce the complete System 7.0
      feature set and customer availability plans.  Developers
      will begin receiving seed software in the fall.

  *   System 7.0 demonstrates Apple's commitment to add value to
      the installed base and to create new reasons to buy
      Macintosh.  The new System 7.0 features will extend the
      capabilities of the Macintosh using the consistent and
      intuitive techniques with which users are already familiar.

Part II - Feature Notes

Outlined below are the core features under development for
inclusion in System 7.0.  The Core  System 7.0 features are those
which we have committed to including when System 7.0 is shipped.
In addition to the Core features, there are several other
technologies under development.  Apple will announce the complete
System 7.0 feature set later this year.

Core System 7.0 Features

Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory allows users to extend available memory by treating
their hard disk as a "virtual" extension to RAM.  This will allow
users to run more and larger applications under MultiFinder with
less RAM than would otherwise be required.

For example, running a word processor, presentation package,
spreadsheet, drawing program and HyperCard might ordinarily
require four megabytes, but this same set of applications could be
run in two megabytes on a Macintosh with virtual memory.
To take advantage of Virtual Memory, customers must have a
Macintosh computer with a memory management unit.  Currently, this
includes the Macintosh SE/30, IIcx, IIx (the 68030 CPU has a built
in memory management unit), and Macintosh II when equipped with
the 68851 PMMU (currently available).

32-Bit Addressing

32-Bit Addressing allows Macintosh computers to extend their
memory capacities beyond 8 megabytes to 128 MB of physical RAM and
up to 4 Gigabytes of virtual address space. This will be
particularly important to users of advanced graphics applications
that use large color images, advanced sound applications,
artificial intelligence programs and other software that is memory
intensive.

The combination of Virtual Memory, 32-Bit Addressing, and
MultiFinder will enable Macintosh computers to support the memory
necessary for users to run more applications and larger
applications.

InterApplication Communications Architecture (IAC)

IAC Architecture will support four types of application-to-
application communication:  1) program-to-program communication -
a low level tool used to send data between applications, 2) Live
Copy/Paste - a mechanism which supports the dynamic linking of
documents, 3) AppleEvents(TM) - a standard set of messages that
applications can use to request actions of one another (e.g.,
"open document"), and 4) Clipboard Copy/Paste - supports the
copy/cut/paste tools that are currently available.

Here are some examples of how these will benefit users:

* A user could "live paste" a chart into a word processing
  document and have changes in the chart automatically passed
  on to the word processing document.  This powerful
  feature allows the system to manage tedious updates for
  the user automatically.
* Groups of users sharing an AppleShare file server
  could cooperatively develop a presentation.  Each
  user would "live paste" his individual work into
  the master document so that the master always
  represents the current collaborative work.
* A telecommunications program multitasking in
  the background could, using AppleEvents(TM), send
  data from a remote host computer to a
  foreground database program or charting
  program.  This cooperation among applications
  allows users to get more out of the combination
  of applications than they could from the
  individual components.
* A user programming tool could allow users
  to create custom application command scripts
  that would automatically control other
  applications using AppleEvents(TM) as
  the communications vehicle.

Outline Fonts

Outline fonts are mathematical descriptions of text that can be
scaled to any point size or resolution.  This will provide sharp
type on all Macintosh displays, printers, fax modems, etc without
having to install specific size bitmaps into the system.

This means that Macintosh applications will be able to use any
type size that the user wants (not just the few found in typical
Font menus).  In addition, Apple's outline fonts will be supported
by all the major type manufacturers which means there will be
thousands of type styles to choose from in the future.

Outline fonts will provide better WYSIWYG and will dramatically
improve the quality and flexibility of non-PostScript printers
like the LaserWriter IISC, ImageWriter and ImageWriter LQ.

Outline fonts will also make applications more flexible.  For
example, a typical drawing program allows users to arbitrarily
scale the size of a drawing.  Frequently though, imbedded type
does not scale properly.  With outline fonts, users will be able
to scale text as easily as the graphics which will allow users to
create better documents.  Outline fonts will also allow
applications to present more legible "print previews" and zoom-in
or zoom-out functions.

Layout Manager

The Layout Manager will provide typographic quality text layout
for all applications.  The layout manager will allow any
application to offer advanced text positioning features including
kerning, ligatures and contextual forms.

New Print Architecture

The new print architecture is designed to make it much easier to
support output devices like printers, fax modems, film recorders,
or plotters on the Macintosh.  The result will be higher quality
output and a wider range of output device choices.

In addition, the new print software will provide background
printing for all types of printers, improved color and halftone
printing, and will allow applications software to control printers
in more sophisticated ways.  The new software will provide
applications with more flexibility such as the capability to print
documents that include both landscape and portrait oriented pages.
The new print architecture will require that users have new print
drivers, but will allow users with System 6.0 and 7.0 to
transparently share LaserWriter printers.

When System 7.0 ships, Apple will provide new print drivers for
all Apple printers.  In addition, Apple will be working closely
with third-parties to ensure that a full complement of drivers are
available immediately.

Database Access

With the new Database Access capabilities, users will be able to
integrate data from remote host computer databases into their
Macintosh applications.  Apple's standard interface will allow
applications developers to provide access to many different types
of databases from many different vendors that may be running on
many different types of computers.  This will give users maximum
flexibility to access the data that they need.

The design of the database access facility will allow users to
integrate host data using the "live" copy/paste capabilities also
to be available with System 7.0.  Once the appropriate links are
created by the database administrator, users with no knowledge of
how to access the remote database will be able to use its data
using the most familiar of Macintosh techniques.

With Database Access, users will not be limited to stand-alone or
local area network databases as found in other systems.  Instead,
Macintoshes will have standard access to local area and
enterprise-wide databases that are central in larger computing
environments.

New Finder

The Finder is the most visible piece of Macintosh System Software.
All Macintosh users interact with the Finder to copy files, launch
applications and to manage system resources.  The new Finder will
provide users with more intuitive system management capabilities
as well as additional power.  The new Finder will also be
extensible so that functions like electronic mail and disk backup
can be integrated into the intuitive desktop metaphor.

Highlights of the New Finder

* Integrated System Utilities like Font/DA Mover - Allows users to
  install fonts and desk accessories by dragging into the system
  folder.
* Help on any desktop icon or menu item.
* Integrated Find - Locates and retrieves any file from any folder
  and brings that file to the front-most window.
* Aliases- Allows the creation of multiple icons for a single
  file.  This would allow documents to be filed in different
  folders.  For example, a budget spreadsheet for project ABC
  might be simultaneously filed in a "budget" folder and a project
  ABC folder.
* Stationery - Provides for the creation of custom document
  templates, such as a memo template or a newsletter layout
  template.
* Custom Views - Allows users to configure desktop windows to show
  standard or custom file displays.
* Configurable Apple Menu - Allows users to install any
  application, document or desk accessory into the Apple menu.
  This allows users to get at documents and applications as easily
  as they can access desk accessories with today's Finder.
* Extensible - New capabilities can be added in the future such as
  mail and backup.

Additional Software Under Development

File System Enhancements

System 7.0 will provide several new file system enhancements
including a feature called the File System manager which
developers will use to give users desktop access to alternative
file systems like MS-DOS, OS/2, Unix, ProDos, etc.  By integrating
these files into the desktop metaphor, users will be able to
manipulate non-Macintosh files with the same intuitive techniques
that they use on Macintosh files.

Other file system enhancements will allow applications to find and
manage files faster and more flexibly.

New Sound Capabilities

System 7.0 will also provide capabilities that will make it easier
for developers to use sound features.  These new capabilities
include a standard MIDI manager to provide a standard means to
communicate with electronic musical instruments.  In addition a
new sound compression utility will reduce the amount of disk space
for sound files.  A sound sequence manager will help multimedia
applications to synchronize sounds with other activities like
animation.

Communications Toolbox (Available Q3 1989 for System 6.0.3)

The Communications toolbox raises the standard capability for
applications to communicate with other computers by modem, local
or wide area networks.  The  toolbox provides a standard way for
developers to support communications hardware as well as file
transfer and terminal emulation capabilities.

32-Bit QuickDraw
(Ships separately in Q2, 1989 for use with System 6.0.3)

The new extended capabilities of QuickDraw will vastly enhance the
color capabilities of the Macintosh.  With 32-Bit color, users
will no longer be limited to 16 or 256 colors, but with new high-
performance graphics interface cards, users can see up to 16
million colors simultaneously.  This capability, previously seen
on only higher-end computers will provide users with photo-real
image quality on their displays, color slide makers and projection
devices.

International Utilities

At Apple, we believe that is important to have internationalized
systems that can be customized to different languages and
character sets.  Already, the Macintosh is the most international
of personal computers.  The new utilities will make it easier for
Macintosh to support other languages as well as it does English.

One-Button Installer

The One-Button Installer will make it easier for users to install
new Macintosh System Software on their machines.  The new
installer will provide for a one-button automatic installation for
most users and a custom installation facility for more advanced
users.

System 7.0 will provide a broad range of new capabilities.  These
capabilities will make users more productive and will enable the
development of many new and innovative applications.
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

In article <30351@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>One-Button Installer
>
>The One-Button Installer will make it easier for users to install
>new Macintosh System Software on their machines.  The new
>installer will provide for a one-button automatic installation for
>most users and a custom installation facility for more advanced
>users.

But will a single-floppy install still require a thousand disk swaps?
I've personally never seen anyone complain about the complexity of the
Installer, but the difficulty of using it on a single-floppy system is
one of the oldest bugs in the Mac.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com