[comp.sys.mac] SE30 40 MB HD problems

gordon@island.uu.net (Gordon Kio) (05/02/89)

Hey Netters,

Sorry for the disgusting string of acronyms in the subject line.

Well, I went to work on my nice, new, SE30 yesterday and low and behold it
just couldn't find the hard disk. Every time I restarted it or turned it on and
off, the HD access light would start blinking and then slowly fade away.
(Poor thing, it was really trying to find it.) I called a friend and he
mentioned that discussions on problems with the SE30's 40 meg hard drives
have been discussed here. One of the things he recalled was that some folks
encountering the same difficulty found that letting their machine heat up
helped. I left my machine on all day, checking it intermittently, and after
about 15 hours it recovered.

If anyone can give me info on similar or related problems they have heard of
with this setup I would appreciate it. Also, does anyone know what Apple
dealer's are doing to solve these problems? My mac is still under warranty
and I would like to make sure it gets repaired correctly the first time.

Thanks in Advance,

Gordon Kio
+ Gordon Kio ||  Island Graphics Corp - sun!island!gordon  || (415) 491-1000 +
+                 "Gosh, you got a lot of nice toys here"                    +

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/04/89)

In article <732@island.uu.net> gordon@island.uu.net (Gordon Kio) writes:
>Well, I went to work on my nice, new, SE30 yesterday and low and behold it
>just couldn't find the hard disk. Every time I restarted it or turned it on and
>off, the HD access light would start blinking and then slowly fade away.
>(Poor thing, it was really trying to find it.) I called a friend and he
>mentioned that discussions on problems with the SE30's 40 meg hard drives
>have been discussed here. One of the things he recalled was that some folks
>encountering the same difficulty found that letting their machine heat up
>helped. I left my machine on all day, checking it intermittently, and after
>about 15 hours it recovered.

I have an SEx with an 80MB internal drive, and yeah, this happened to me
quite a bit when I first got the machine.  Since I've got 5 Megs RAM in it,
it takes a while to run through the memory check sequence; during the
morning boot-up, after the RAM check finished, the drive would just blink,
unable to find the drive.  I would use the programmer's switch to reboot,
and then it would boot up fine, no problem.  Later restarts or boot-ups
would work fine later in the day.

As the weather has gotten warmer, this seems to have gone away; the SEx
rarely "loses" the drive in the morning.  I put it under the heading of
"minor inconvenience", and let it go at that.

                           "You're just absolutely
                            right, and I'm absolutely
                            wrong.  It must be NICE
                            to always believe you
                            know better... to always
                            think you're the smartest
                            person in the room."
                                                     "No, it's *awful*."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) (05/04/89)

In article <8070@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>In article <732@island.uu.net> gordon@island.uu.net (Gordon Kio) writes:
>>Well, I went to work on my nice, new, SE30 yesterday and low and behold it
>>just couldn't find the hard disk. Every time I restarted it or turned it on and
>>off, the HD access light would start blinking and then slowly fade away.
>>(Poor thing, it was really trying to find it.) I called a friend and he
>>mentioned that discussions on problems with the SE30's 40 meg hard drives

>I have an SEx with an 80MB internal drive, and yeah, this happened to me
>quite a bit when I first got the machine.  Since I've got 5 Megs RAM in it,
>it takes a while to run through the memory check sequence; during the
>morning boot-up, after the RAM check finished, the drive would just blink,
>unable to find the drive.  I would use the programmer's switch to reboot,
>and then it would boot up fine, no problem.  Later restarts or boot-ups
>would work fine later in the day.

Well I thought it could never happen to me but this morning I went to fire up
my mac II and low and behold it couldn't find the hard drive.  Trying
to run HD installer get me the "nothing in the SCZI slot" message.  I
popped the hood on the box to look at the drive and it was blinking its
light a lot at start up but it would go out in about a minute and that
would be that.  Apple 40 M internal drive was about 6 weeks out of warranty.

I tore the cords out of the back and raced to my nearest Computerland
(90 miles away) and explained it is finals week and I'm stuck big time.
They got me an extension on my warranty because of earlier service they had
done (power supply and main board @ 87 days into a 90 day warranty) and
chunked in a new drive in about 3 hours.  Great guys these Computerland
techs.

I got lucky, I had done a full HD backup using Apples utility that comes
with the machine only 9 days previously and laborously restored my files.
It took about an hour.  One floppy out of the 40 failed to restore properly
the first time and only on one file that I recovered on a second try.
I figure when the electronics go, not even Symantic can save you but
I do want to get a good backup program and wonder what people are using
and recommend.  Also, it occurs to me that the guy who wanted the electronic
equivalent of a postit, that would be a cool thing to have 'cause you could
have it bug you every two weeks to back up the hard drive.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd take this opportunity to remind you all to

BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE *TODAY*!

You'll be glad you did :)

Todd
vogelei@nmtsun

jwg1@bunny.gte.com (James W. Gish) (05/10/89)

I too, came in the other morning and my Mac II failed to see my internal
Apple 40MB HD.  My machine is less than a year old.  We do much of our own
maintenance here at the Labs, and the repairman was able to align the drive
so that he could get off the few files that had changed since my last backup.
He ran it all night without a hitch, but when he popped it back in my machine
it failed again.  So, it was sent back to Apple for repair.

The repairman told me that the 40MB drives go out all the time.  The 20MB and
the 80MB seem to be much more reliable.  He likes the Jasmine drives; he says
they are very solid.

--
Jim Gish
GTE Laboratories, Inc., Waltham, MA