[comp.sys.mac] are quantum

heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) (05/10/89)

I have heard a lot of bad things about the Apple supplied hard disks
(quantum I believe).  As a person about to purchase a system, this
bothers me.

Do quantum drives suck?

Should I buy someone elses hard disk for my system (SE/30 with HD 40)?

Todd Heberlein
heberlei@leek.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.26
heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.20

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846) (05/10/89)

From article <4254@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, by heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd):
> I have heard a lot of bad things about the Apple supplied hard disks
> (quantum I believe).  As a person about to purchase a system, this
> bothers me.
> Do quantum drives suck?
> Should I buy someone elses hard disk for my system (SE/30 with HD 40)?
> Todd Heberlein

Actually, Quantum drives are among the best (my opinion).  Don't buy them
from Apple though.  Get them from MicroTech (check out MacUser or MacWorld),
A 40Meg HD with a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY costs around $570.  I don't know why
people buy from other dealers with this sort of thing available.

I have no connection with MicroTech or Quantum, but I have installed 4 of their
drives and haven't had any complaints.

Jim

lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/10/89)

In article <4254@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) writes:
>I have heard a lot of bad things about the Apple supplied hard disks
>(quantum I believe).  As a person about to purchase a system, this
>bothers me.
>
>Do quantum drives suck?
>
>Should I buy someone elses hard disk for my system (SE/30 with HD 40)?
>
>Todd Heberlein

Actually, Quantum drives are arguably the best "low-end" drives
in the Mac market today.  An SE/30 with a 40 meg internal drive
really is a great bargain, and your conscience can be clear.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/11/89)

You have been informed wrong.  I have used many Quantum drives and have been impressed with their speed and reliability.  The 80Meg Quantum is probably a better bet than the 40 though, since the 80 has an on controller cache that speeds
throughput.  In 40 Megs, the Quantum is good, but the Conner drive is probably
better...

Jeff Huber
jth890342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu