[comp.sys.mac] Cheap Printers and the Grappler?

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/02/89)

I wonder.  I haven't seen this posted all that frequently on the net, and
 I am now in a position of curiousity.

My sister has a 512KE and is looking for a cheap printer.  She currently
 has an Epson LX-80 left over from when she had her Apple ][.

1. I know that a "Grappler" exists for such a beast... but which one?
    LQ? C/Mac?
2. Does this Grappler thing give her full Imagewriter capability?  If
    not, what is it missing?
3. Maybe it would just be cheaper to sell the Epson and buy a printer
    with full Imagewriter capability.  I have seen ads for the "Seikosha
    SP 1000" for around $235, certainly reasonable.  Has anyone used this
    brand or model?  Is it really "Imagewriter I compatible"?  Is
    it any good?  Will it last?  Will it work?
4. Maybe we should just try to buy a used Imagewriter?

Thanks in Advance,
"Curious George"
- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
   "Life in the Fast Lane --            Cares What I Am Saying -- Lucky
    mows you down before your prime."   Them."

 University of Illinois at U-C
 ARPANET: thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
 USMAILNET: 202 E Springfield #3B, Champaign IL 61820

barry@primerd.prime.com (05/07/89)

 thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu inquires:

>I wonder.  I haven't seen this posted all that frequently on the net, and
> I am now in a position of curiousity.

>My sister has a 512KE and is looking for a cheap printer.  She currently
> has an Epson LX-80 left over from when she had her Apple ][.

>1. I know that a "Grappler" exists for such a beast... but which one?
>    LQ? C/Mac?

You need the C/Mac version, which converts Imagewriter control codes
and provides the serial to parallel conversion.  If you're mainly
interested in  bit-mapped output (no  draft mode), the Grappler work.
It's slow, but did the job when I tried on with my FX-80 a few months ago.
Draft output was slower than Best output!

>2. Does this Grappler thing give her full Imagewriter capability?  If
>    not, what is it missing?

I don't think she'll be able to use desk accessories like MockPrinter
and miniWriter than write directly to the printer w/o going thru printer
driver.  For example, MockPrinter uses the character set download feature
of the Imagewriter.  I don't believe this will work with Grappler (I
forgot to check when I did my tests).  Make sure the LX80 can do reverse
line feeds - If it can't some graphical output may not be right.

>3. Maybe it would just be cheaper to sell the Epson and buy a printer
>    with full Imagewriter capability.  I have seen ads for the "Seikosha
>    SP 1000" for around $235, certainly reasonable.  Has anyone used this
>    brand or model?  Is it really "Imagewriter I compatible"?  Is
>    it any good?  Will it last?  Will it work?

My brother-in-law has a Seikosha.  It is 99.9999+ compatible with the
Imagewriter I.  I checked the command set supported by the Seikosha -
the only difference I found had to do with the Danish language option.
I tried it with a variety programs without encoutenring any problems.
MockPrinter, miniWriter and programs like that work fine with the
Seikosha.  It is a fine, but slow printer (1/3 speed of an Imagweriter II).
$235 is slightly more than my BIL paid.  He's only had it about three
months, so I can't say how long it will last.  It does not appear to be
as rugged as the IW-II.  The warantee is at least a year.  You can buy
two or three Seikoshas for what one IW-II costs.

>4. Maybe we should just try to buy a used Imagewriter?

Thanks in Advance,
"Curious George"
- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
   "Life in the Fast Lane --            Cares What I Am Saying -- Lucky
    mows you down before your prime."   Them."

 University of Illinois at U-C
 ARPANET: thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
 USMAILNET: 202 E Springfield #3B, Champaign IL 61820
Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.

tjs@dadent.wustl.edu (tom sullivan) (05/08/89)

In article <160700032@primerd> barry@primerd.prime.com writes:
>>1. I know that a "Grappler" exists for such a beast... but which one?
>>    LQ? C/Mac?
>
>You need the C/Mac version, which converts Imagewriter control codes
>and provides the serial to parallel conversion.  If you're mainly
>interested in  bit-mapped output (no  draft mode), the Grappler work.
>It's slow, but did the job when I tried on with my FX-80 a few months ago.
>Draft output was slower than Best output!

I've  tried the same product with my VERY old EPSON MX-80 with Graftrax-80
upgrade. It failed miserably, just as Epstart from Softstyles did.

I think the Grappler's problem was the age of my printer. I believe that
Espon changed things from my old model and the commands are slightly different.
As for Epstart. It doesn't even pay attention to hardware handshaking. It
claims to but only checks after dumping several thousand characters.

tom

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) (05/11/89)

BTW, I fiddled around with a Grappler LQ for an evening (I picked it up
in the local computer store's "bargain bin" for cheap).  I tested it on
two different Epson LQ printers (an LQ-1000 and an LQ-500).  It just plain
couldn't be coaxed to work on the LQ-500 at all.  On the LQ-1000, it did
work, but had the *annoying* habit of appending a stray character (usually
a capital letter "R") in the upper left hand corner of every page.  I took
it back under the stores 30 day return "no questions asked" policy.
-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   debula-r@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's