[comp.sys.mac] Is the Talking Moose Dead?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (05/04/89)

All right, guys, this is my first post ever to the net under this particular
version of our news editor, so please let me know if this message comes
through screwed up in any way.

Anyway: The Talking Moose desk accessory was a *great* little toy to have
around!  I loved springing it on unsuspecting users!

But, alas, it seems to be dead.  I would appear that the Moose is incompatible
with System 6.0 and up, and the author is nowhere to be found for an upgrade.
Would anyone happen to know where I could find either a later version that
works with the new system, or the source code for it so's I can *make* it work?

Thank you for your support.

     << Brian Kendig >>

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (05/04/89)

In article <8131@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:

>Anyway: The Talking Moose desk accessory was a *great* little toy to
>have around!  I loved springing it on unsuspecting users!

>But, alas, it seems to be dead.  I would appear that the Moose is
>incompatible with System 6.0 and up, and the author is nowhere to be
>found for an upgrade.  Would anyone happen to know where I could find
>either a later version that works with the new system, or the source
>code for it so's I can *make* it work?

The Talking Moose is alive and well.  Here's the scoop, which I cliped
from this very newsgroup about two months back:

From: zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David D Zuhn)
Subject: The NEW talking Moose
Date: 9 Mar 89 21:57:40 GMT

For anyone who loves the idea of a moose living inside your system,
check out the Talking Moose 2.1.  Steve Halls (Author of the original
Talking Moose DA) has re-written the moose as an INIT/cdev combination.

The New Moose does much better animation synching with speech, works
with more software (including MPW 3.0) and includes a better phrase
editor than Moose Frazer.  The moose will now speak menu selections and
dialog boxes as well.

The product is no longer shareware, steve is trying to find a commercial
distributor.  In the mean time, contact Steve directly at:

The Talking Moose
c/o Steve Halls
#303 3837 Luther Place
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
CANADA S7H 4B1
(306) 374-6052

The cost is $20 direct from Steve.

I have no affiliation with Steve, other than the fact that I love the
moose.

(End of reposted article.)

Ephraim Vishniac  /  Internet: ephraim@think.com  / AppleLink: ThinkingCorp
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (05/04/89)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>Anyway: The Talking Moose desk accessory was a *great* little toy to have
>around!  I loved springing it on unsuspecting users!
>
>But, alas, it seems to be dead.

The gentleman from Calgary that wrote Moose, has written one that is
not shareware, but commercial, and works as a cdev.  I have seen it,
but have not as yet ordered it.  Perhas ps someone out there can look
up the address for this guy.  Apparently, he is in the same place now
as he was when TM was a DA.

nrg

--
York University       Department of Philosophy       Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 "Don't, _for_heaven's_sake_, be afraid of talking nonsense!  But you

zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David D "Zoo" Zuhn) (05/05/89)

In article <8131@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>All right, guys, this is my first post ever to the net under this particular
>version of our news editor, so please let me know if this message comes
>through screwed up in any way.

Made it over here at least.

>Anyway: The Talking Moose desk accessory was a *great* little toy to have
>around!  I loved springing it on unsuspecting users!

Yes.  The good old days.  How wonderful it was to see unexperienced users
confronted with an animal on their screen.

>But, alas, it seems to be dead.  I would appear that the Moose is incompatible
>with System 6.0 and up, and the author is nowhere to be found for an upgrade.
>Would anyone happen to know where I could find either a later version that
>works with the new system, or the source code for it so's I can *make* it work?

Wrongo.  It is not dead.  I sent in my $15 for source code several months
ago and got a nice letter back from the author.  He is trying to find
a commercial publisher for the package, so he can no longer give out
source.  But, he had performed major miracles on the software as well.

It is now an INIT/cdev, that starts up automagically.  There is a built in
phrase tester/editor (complete with a small game).  Macintalk 1.31 is
included (works on Mac IIs, I don't know about '030 boxes).  Works great
from Mac Plusses to 256 color Mac IIs.

The author is Steve Halls, and can be reached (according to the card that
I happen to carry with me) at:
	#303 3837 Luther Place
	Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
	CANADA, S7H 4B1
	(306) 374-6052

If you send in $20, you will get the new and improved Talking Moose.  I
might even be willing to make my phrase file available publicly.  I've
got quite a few odd ones.

>Thank you for your support.
>
>     << Brian Kendig >>

And Steve will thank you for yours.

David D Zuhn
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

Disclaimer:  I make no money from the Moose, I just believe that there
ought to be a Moose in every Mac.

Really, Is being a hairless ape that much better than being a Talking Moose?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/05/89)

In article <8131@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>All right, guys, this is my first post ever to the net under this particular
>Anyway: The Talking Moose desk accessory was a *great* little toy to have
>around!  I loved springing it on unsuspecting users!
>
>But, alas, it seems to be dead.  I would appear that the Moose is incompatible
>with System 6.0 and up, and the author is nowhere to be found for an upgrade.
>Would anyone happen to know where I could find either a later version that
>works with the new system, or the source code for it so's I can *make* it work?

THe old PD Talking Moose didn't even work with some of the earlier 5.x
versions.  However, Steve Halls has released it as a fully-supported product
-- it isn't PD anymore (I know, it's running on my machine); it's now a
CDEV.  My moose is back!

For a limited time, people can obtain the latest version of the Moose for
$20 by mailing a check to:

                         Steve Halls
                         #303,  3837 Luther Place,
                         Saskatoon,   Saskatchewan,
                          S7H 4B1,  Canada.

----
                           "Why use a REAL development system when you can
                            bang a rock against your head?"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (05/08/89)

In article <8131@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>Anyway: The Talking Moose desk accessory was a *great* little toy to have
>around!  I loved springing it on unsuspecting users!
>
>But, alas, it seems to be dead.  I would appear that the Moose is incompatible
>with System 6.0 and up, and the author is nowhere to be found for an upgrade.
>Would anyone happen to know where I could find either a later version that
>works with the new system, or the source code for it so's I can *make* it work?

  The current version of Talking Moose is 2.1. It's now an INIT/cdev combo,
and has lots of new features: configurable ability to "speak" menu
selections, windows, and dialogs; built-in phrase, phoneme, and exceptions
editor; MultiFinder/MacII/System 6 compatible; lip movements are
synchronized with the speech, etc. etc. Since it's an INIT, it loads
automatically...operation is completely transparent. You can even shut the
Moose up in mid-sentence with a mouse click or key press.

  This version is, unfortunately, no longer "shareware". It can be obtained
directly from the author for $20. He moved; here's his new address:

  Steve Halls
  #303, 3837 Luther Place
  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
  CANADA  S7H 4B1
  (306) 374-6052

(Usual disclaimer: this information is provided as a public service; I have
 no connection with Steve Halls whatsoever.)

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

austin@caen.engin.umich.edu (Richard Austin) (05/09/89)

In article <22759@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>   The current version of Talking Moose is 2.1. It's now an INIT/cdev combo,
> and has lots of new features: configurable ability to "speak" menu
> selections, windows, and dialogs; built-in phrase, phoneme, and exceptions
> editor; MultiFinder/MacII/System 6 compatible; lip movements are
> synchronized with the speech, etc. etc. Since it's an INIT, it loads
> automatically...operation is completely transparent. You can even shut the
> Moose up in mid-sentence with a mouse click or key press.
>
>   This version is, unfortunately, no longer "shareware". It can be obtained
> directly from the author for $20. He moved; here's his new address:
>
>   Steve Halls
>   #303, 3837 Luther Place
>   Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
>   CANADA  S7H 4B1
>   (306) 374-6052

  I know this subject has been covered before, but how should I send my payment
to Steve?  A personal check in US funds?  US currency?  Or do I need to convert
to Canadian $ at my end?  If so, is it $20 (US) or $20 (Canadian)?  (I'm sure
it's worth more than either :-) ).

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/12/89)

In article <431f9e0b.fee5@bung.engin.umich.edu> austin@caen.engin.umich.edu (Richard Austin) writes:
>In article <22759@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>>   This version is, unfortunately, no longer "shareware". It can be obtained
>> directly from the author for $20. He moved; here's his new address:
>>
>>   Steve Halls
>>   #303, 3837 Luther Place
>>   Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
>>   CANADA  S7H 4B1
>>   (306) 374-6052
>>

>  I know this subject has been covered before, but how should I send my payment
>to Steve?  A personal check in US funds?  US currency?

I sent a personal check for $20 American, and apparently that was fine.

                           "It's a basic tenet of democracy -- innocent until
                            proven guilty. Not that we should let that stand
                            in the way of a good time."