[comp.sys.mac] TOPS problems on high-speed networks

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (05/04/89)

In this week's MacWeek magazine, I read an article that TOPS has problems on
high-speed networks, such as Ethernet.  Apparently, it has some syncronization
and timing problems on such networks.  This problem arises mailing when sharing
large files across the network, say from a shared database application (in
their example, they used Omnis-3 or something like that).  The databases can
become corrupted under certain circumstances.

Does anyone know what causes this?  Is this also possible when using Ethernet
and smaller files?  Just curious.  I don't want to recommend something that
doesn't work (although "they are working on the problem").

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/12/89)

In article <7092@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas
Niehaus) writes:
>In this week's MacWeek magazine, I read an article that TOPS has problems on
>high-speed networks, such as Ethernet.  Apparently, it has some syncronization
>and timing problems on such networks.  This problem arises mailing when sharing
>large files across the network, say from a shared database application (in
>their example, they used Omnis-3 or something like that).  The databases can
>become corrupted under certain circumstances.
>
>Does anyone know what causes this?  Is this also possible when using Ethernet
>and smaller files?  Just curious.  I don't want to recommend something that
>doesn't work (although "they are working on the problem").

You've got to be nuts to use TOPS for any shared-database work (or just
uninformed). Not only does it have these problems, but certain databases
which claim to work with TOPS (i.e., 4D) have known problems with it which
can cause data or layout corruption, while the smart ones (FoxBase) refuse
to use it at all. It's bad news.

Fortunately, out of the blue comes a solution to this problem- distributed
peer-to-peer AppleShare. Read my next message, which describes this in detail.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)