[comp.sys.mac] Mac+ ROM Upgrade

suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) (05/07/89)

This is posted for a friend...

Thank you email bounced to Michael Naber, but thanks, Mike.

I took my Mac in for the ROM upgrade.  Works great, now boots
from SCSI.  Thought others might like to know the repair
authorization number--OKJ767.  This tells the Apple dealer
how to be reimbursed for the work--there's no charge to
the customer.

Thanks again.
--
                                      Sue Hendrix, net.goddess
                                      att!drutx!druhi!suelh

It's a beautiful day, let's go boating.

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Louis Englander) (05/09/89)

I guess i missed the discussion, but what's this about a ROM upgrade for
the Mac+?  My SCSI disk boots fine...
--

                                               - Scott

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (05/10/89)

 I went to 2 Apple dealers with the same number & was told that it was NOT
for a free Mac+ ROM upgrade.  What I was told is that it paid the cost of
ONE ROM if the ROM set dies. The customer pays for the other ROM and
instillation! I even had one dealer call Apple.  The story I got is that
there is a lot of confusion & that dealers who do a free ROM upgrade got
stuck with the unreimbursed charges.

This has always bothered me since I keep hearing storys of people who
quoted the magic number & got a free ROM upgrade. In my case a kind soul
{THANKS} came through with a set of the latest ROMs to replace my "Lonely
Hearts" ROM & I have been a happy camper ever since.  Of course now, before
I could be a happy camper I had to get 2 chips fixed that stopped working
when MacProducts Inc. replaced a ROM socket for me. I also had to adjust the
5 V supply after the 2.5 Meg RAM upgrade.

I still wonder does the magic number really work & were the dealers shucking
me to get extra money, or are there a lot of dealers getting stuck?

TeriAnn

ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) (05/11/89)

In article <430100@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:

> I went to 2 Apple dealers with the same number & was told that it was NOT
>for a free Mac+ ROM upgrade.  What I was told is that it paid the cost of
>ONE ROM if the ROM set dies. The customer pays for the other ROM and
>instillation! I even had one dealer call Apple.  The story I got is that
>there is a lot of confusion & that dealers who do a free ROM upgrade got
>stuck with the unreimbursed charges.
>
>I still wonder does the magic number really work & were the dealers shucking
>me to get extra money, or are there a lot of dealers getting stuck?

Reproduced below is the relevant stuff out of the Apple Service Prog Manual
icon on AppleLink, courtesy of Apple Australia.  I hope I am not breaking
any Apple commmandments by doing this, but it took me six months to get the
issue settled over here in Oz.  The current situation at my university
(which is a member of the Apple University Consortium) is that the ROMs will
be exchanged at no charge.  Good luck with your particular reseller/dealer.
(Thinks: I hope I haven't prejudiced my exchange with this posting....)

An observation about the replacement guidelines vis-a-vis inventory
status: If your ROMs fail, and your reseller only has old ROMs in stock,
then your failed ROM(s) will be replaced with the old ROMs, regardless of
whether you originally had the old versions or new version.  So what is the
benefit to the customer, especially if the new ROMs are needed to fix boot
problems with SCSI devices (as in my case)!!??

Another observation: what is a 'failed' ROM?  Have my ROMs failed if they
don't let the Mac boot properly from SCSI devices that adhere to the SCSI
standard?

The confusion is understandable when you try to make some sense of the
instructions.  I still haven't gotten my ROMs exchanged yet because
(a) I didn't know if it would fix my difficulties cold booting from a
Rodime 140 Plus; and (b) the turn-around time can be very long, especially
if the new ROMs aren't in stock.  I now know that the ROM exchange will
work for me, but whether I can live without a Mac for more than a few days
is another matter (I depend on it for writing).

-- bl

Benjamin Y H Lian             ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz
Dept. of EE & CS              ARPA  : ben%tasis.utas.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
University of Tasmania        BITnet: munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben@
GPO Box 252C                          uunet.uu.net
Hobart, Tasmania 7001         UUCP  : {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!
A U S T R A L I A                     munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben

Tel:  +61-02-202380           Fax:  +61-02-202713

"Fortunately the computer virus did no harm to our records.  It was
immediately devoured by all the bugs in our programming."

-- Cartoon, CW Australia

--------------------------------

Product Notice: CPUs, 4 of 5

Copyright 1988, Apple Computer, Inc.

MACINTOSH PLUS ROMs OKJ767
(Announced April 87)
Macintosh Plus, Macintosh 512K Enhanced systems, and 800K Disk Drive Upgrade
Kits have new version boot ROMs. The chance in the ROMs is minimal and only
affects Macintosh Plus systems. The ROMs were revised to ensure full
compatibility with SCSI devices that have been designed to the "17B ANSI
SCSI" standard.

The ROM version changes are as follows:

Description       Part Number         Old Version:          New Version

High boot ROM      342-0341                B                     C
Low boot ROM       342-0342                A                     B

The new version ROMs are fully compatible with all Macintosh Plus, 512K
Enhanced and upgraded 512K systems. However, one old version ROM and one new
version ROM cannot be installed on the same board.

The following is a summary of the guidelines for replacing Macintosh Plus ROMs
in 512K Enhanced logic boards when only one ROM fails:

Customer
ROM Ver     Inventory Status                Action

New         Old version ROM     Replace both ROMs with old version ROMs.
Old         Old version ROMs    Replace only the failed ROM.
New         New version ROM     Replace only the failed ROM.
Old         New version ROMs    Replace both ROMs with new version ROMs.

To obtain Parts Credit and Parts Margin* reimbursement for this procedure
(Labor Credit will not be paid), do the following:  Return the customer's

defective ROM to Apple and record the ROM part numberf on the SRO form.  In
addition, record the repair extension authorization code "OKJ767" in the
warranty information section.

 * Parts Margin paid to resellers only.

Note:  When returninga Macintosh logic board to Apple for exchange, make sure
the board contains both ROMs, and that they are inthe correct high/low version
combination. Otherwise, the board is unacceptable for exchange, and will be
returned to you.

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (05/12/89)

Scott, there were several versions of the Mac+ ROMS. The first version
had a SCSI bug that kept the Mac from booting from a floppy if there was
a powered off SCSI device attached to the Mac's SCSI port. You had to
disconnect the SCSI cable from the Mac to use it as a floppy based Mac.

TeriAnn