[comp.sys.mac] Apple's two-page monochrome monitor

weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) (04/25/89)

I just got my first look at Apple's two-page monochrome monitor.  The
image, particularly in the upper left corner, exhibited an up-and-down
jitter.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Was I looking at a unique
"bad" monitor?

Has anyone had the chance to see Apple's new full page display?  If so,
any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
					Marty Weinhous
					weinhous@castor.wustl.edu

standard disclaimers

hik@brunix (Hisato Kato) (04/25/89)

In article <716@dinorah.wustl.edu> weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) writes:
>I just got my first look at Apple's two-page monochrome monitor.  The
>image, particularly in the upper left corner, exhibited an up-and-down
>jitter.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Was I looking at a unique
>"bad" monitor?

My monocrome two-page monitor doesn't show any jitter.
	Hisato

capener@mips.COM (Christopher L. Capener) (04/25/89)

In article <716@dinorah.wustl.edu> weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) writes:
>I just got my first look at Apple's two-page monochrome monitor.  The
>image, particularly in the upper left corner, exhibited an up-and-down
>jitter.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Was I looking at a unique
>"bad" monitor?

I saw a similar problem when the two-page monitor was placed too close to a
color monitor on the same machine.  The magnetic interference from the
different scan rate of the color monitor caused the jitter.

Moving the monitors farther apart solved the problem.

--
Chris Capener                          capener@MIPS.COM
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.            {ames,decwrl,prls}!mips!capener

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (04/26/89)

In article <716@dinorah.wustl.edu>, (Martin S. Weinhous) writes:
> I just got my first look at Apple's two-page monochrome monitor.  The
> image, particularly in the upper left corner, exhibited an up-and-down
> jitter.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Was I looking at a unique
> "bad" monitor?
>
> Thanks all.
> 					Marty Weinhous
> 					weinhous@castor.wustl.edu

I would say it was a bad monitor.  I have also only seen one but the
picture is rock solid.  One thing to note however.  There were problems
when the monitor first came in.  But, the problem has in the board.
It seems that all the boards the used TI memory had problems but the
boards that used NEC memory were ok.  Just our experiance.

Pete Hoch

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/02/89)

I've seen and used a couple dozen of these since they started shipping
(show-hopping, dontcha know...) and they look absolutely beautiful. I am
going to be getting a big-screen in a few weeks. I'll buy the E-machines
Z21 and wish it looked like Apple's...

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/04/89)

In article <1815@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

<I've seen and used a couple dozen of these since they started shipping
<(show-hopping, dontcha know...) and they look absolutely beautiful. I am
<going to be getting a big-screen in a few weeks. I'll buy the E-machines
<Z21 and wish it looked like Apple's...
<

I was planning to buy this when the SE/30 board was ready, but they keep
slipping the date. Meanwhile my dealer informs me that I can have the
SuperMac grey scale for about the list price of the Z21. Furthermore, it
seems that the SuperMac is going to be ready sooner.

Trouble is...I haven't seen any of these: (SuperMac, Z21, or Apple) and I'm
not sure a sample of one per vender would be representative of what I'd
get. I guess the Apple isn't even an option for the SE/30 is it?

I read recently that grey scales refresh the screen much faster than color.
Currently I only need monochrome, but I thought if the grey scale doesn't
cost that much more, I'd have more options for taking in work in the
future. But I don't want to go back to that slow speed I experienced the
first few weeks with the small Apple color monitor on a Mac II.

Anyone have any guidence?

Shirley Kehr

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/12/89)

In article <95148@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>I was planning to buy [the Z-21] when the SE/30 board was ready, but they keep
>slipping the date. Meanwhile my dealer informs me that I can have the
>SuperMac grey scale for about the list price of the Z21. Furthermore, it
>seems that the SuperMac is going to be ready sooner.

Could be. They were showing a Z-21 on the SE-30 in NYC, though, as far as I
can recall. Also, the only difference between a Z-21 and a Z-21IQ (greyscale
model) is video RAM, which you can buy cheaply from a third party when you
decide you need it. It's getting cheaper every day.

>Trouble is...I haven't seen any of these: (SuperMac, Z21, or Apple) and I'm
>not sure a sample of one per vender would be representative of what I'd
>get. I guess the Apple isn't even an option for the SE/30 is it?

No, I think at least three companies are close to done with a board to use
the apple tube with an SE-30. The only name that springs to mind is Irwin,
but I'd be surprised if SuperMac weren't doing one also.

>I read recently that grey scales refresh the screen much faster than color.

Absolutely false. Think about it. The computer has to do the same amount of
work moving bits around if you're using 8-bit greyscale or 8-bit color. With
either system, you can go down to 1-bit mode, and that's much faster.

>Currently I only need monochrome, but I thought if the grey scale doesn't
>cost that much more, I'd have more options for taking in work in the
>future. But I don't want to go back to that slow speed I experienced the
>first few weeks with the small Apple color monitor on a Mac II.

You're in for even slower speed with an 8-bit large screen. Just remember
that you can always drop down to 1-bit mode.

Also, with the Z-21, there's no need to buy greyscale now. You can add it
later if you decide you need it, and you'll save money by waiting since RAM
prices keep dropping.

>Anyone have any guidence?

Yes. Spell "Guidance" with an "a". :-)

---