[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0

beng@wheaton.UUCP (Ben Greenwald) (10/14/88)

I saw a beta version of Word 4.0 at the MacFest here in Chicago on 10-6.
The demonstration was given by the Microsoft Word Product Manager and it was
extremely immpressive.

Word 4.0 is almost desktop publishing.  For Many desktop publishing
applications, word could be used instead of Pagemaker.  Some of the new
features include
	1.  fully editable menus and command keys,  seems very easy to do
	2.  being able to hard place graphics
	3.  automatic text flow around graphics.
	4.  automatic update of graphs created in Excel
	5.  130,000 word dictionary
	6.  Thesaurus
	7.  Hotspots on the screen.  For example, click on a footnote number
	    and the footnote text will appear.
  	8.  Color support for Mac II
	9.  Will still run on 512K Mac
	10. Integrated with Microsoft Mail
	11. Will be bundeled with SuperPaint 1.1
	12. New Manual

You may ask, how much will this cost, well new it will list for $395.
Upgrades for word users who purchased before May 1 will be $75.  For those
who purchased after may 1 it will be free.  The upgrades will include
SuperPaint.

He said there will be a formal announcement in early November, and will
start shipping by the end of November.

He also mentioned the possibility of Word 5.0.

I can't wait.

Ben Greenwald
CPO 1118
Wheaton College
Wheaton IL 60187

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (10/14/88)

In article <802@wheaton.UUCP> beng@wheaton.UUCP (Ben Greenwald) writes:
>I saw a beta version of Word 4.0 at the MacFest here in Chicago on 10-6.
>	2.  being able to hard place graphics
>	3.  automatic text flow around graphics.

Is there any background graphics capability?  Is there any built in
graphics capability like I've seen in fullwrite?  I'm a word person,
but I often need to stick simple graphics around text, or putting a
grey background behind a table, and going to Pagemaker to do it is a pain.
I know, this is a "desktop publishing" function, but you mention that
Word 4.0 is almost a DTP program.  Thanks,

Paul Meyer
MIT

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (10/15/88)

In article <1419@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>In article <802@wheaton.UUCP> beng@wheaton.UUCP (Ben Greenwald) writes:
>>I saw a beta version of Word 4.0 at the MacFest here in Chicago on 10-6.
>>	2.  being able to hard place graphics
>>	3.  automatic text flow around graphics.
>
>Is there any background graphics capability?  Is there any built in
>graphics capability like I've seen in fullwrite?  I'm a word person,
>but I often need to stick simple graphics around text, or putting a
>grey background behind a table, and going to Pagemaker to do it is a pain.

I think there're giving out SuperPaint to make up for the fact that
there is no built in graphics stuff, except for boxes around paragraphs.
You memtioned greys behind tables--here is a trick I learned from playing
around:
Use a PS graphics program like Freehand to make a grey box the size of
a page. (I used 2% grey)
Save this as EPS file. Use some tool to change its type to TEXT.
Open it in Word (I use 3.01), select all of the text, and open up
the styles dialog box. Type in 'Postscript'. Now you have a grey page,
but what good is it? As it turns out, Word lets you clip embedded PS to
the bounds of a paragraph by typing '.para' on a line just ahead of the
paragraph you want the image clipped to. (I think it's that, this is
from memory--at any rate, its in the manual in the PS section).
If I put the PS (describing the grey page) in the header, then whenever
I want a paragraph to have a grey background, I put the magic word before
it, and it works. It even works with side-by-side paragraphs. You could
even make various graphics into glossary entries, and have all kinds of
effects handy, like nice borders around pages, etc.
Hope this was more or less clear...

>Paul Meyer
>MIT
Ron Beloin
Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853

aho@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Ho) (10/15/88)

In article <802@wheaton.UUCP> beng@wheaton.UUCP (Ben Greenwald) writes:

>Word 4.0 is almost desktop publishing.  For Many desktop publishing
>applications, word could be used instead of Pagemaker.  Some of the new
>features include

1) will it be able to print to an imagewriter in the background,
   under multi-finder, perhaps? that would be really nice.
2) has anyone upgrading from 3.02 received a notice from
   microsoft asking them to pay yet?

>He also mentioned the possibility of Word 5.0.

already???

alex

Alex Ho
University of California, Berkeley       aho@cory.berkeley.edu
                                         ...ucbvax!cory!aho

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/16/88)

I had heard that outlining was going to be improved.  Any word on this?  In
particular, it would be nice if outline sections could be automatically
numbered, and the numbers could apply to the corresponding sections of a
paper.  Auto-numbering of figures, tables, graphs, etc. could also be done
then.

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (10/17/88)

From article <802@wheaton.UUCP>, by beng@wheaton.UUCP (Ben Greenwald):
> I saw a beta version of Word 4.0 at the MacFest here in Chicago on 10-6.
>
>                                                         Some of the new
> features include
> [...]
> 	6.  Thesaurus

This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
integrated, it's a desk accessary. We have Word on our student lab and
there isn't enough disk space now on their boot disks. We couldn't add
the thesaurus to their 800k boot disks if we wanted to and I doubt we
would want to--no way to prevent piracy. So much for the new thesaurus.
Maybe 5.0 will have it as an integrated part of the package...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (10/19/88)

In article <1307@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:

>This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
>integrated, it's a desk accessary. We have Word on our student lab and
>there isn't enough disk space now on their boot disks. We couldn't add
>the thesaurus to their 800k boot disks if we wanted to and I doubt we
>would want to--no way to prevent piracy. So much for the new thesaurus.
>Maybe 5.0 will have it as an integrated part of the package...

But can't you use Font/DA mover to install the Thesaurus in the Word Application
rather than the System file?

My question about 4.0 is whether they have "fixed" the font menu; i.e. does the
menu now list all fonts, or do you still have to mess with the character menu.

LSB

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (10/20/88)

in article <1307@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) says:

> This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
> integrated, it's a desk accessary. We have Word on our student lab and
> there isn't enough disk space now on their boot disks. We couldn't add
> the thesaurus to their 800k boot disks if we wanted to and I doubt we
> would want to--no way to prevent piracy. So much for the new thesaurus.
> Maybe 5.0 will have it as an integrated part of the package...

	If you are using a backup copy of Word 4.0, why don't you use

	ResEdit to install the Thesaurus DA into Word 4.0 itself?  I

	think that should solve the problem of where to put it.  Of

	course, since Word 3.0 was two disks, and assuming Word 4.0

	is even bigger, that might not fit on a single 800K floppy.

	Joseph --> cmcl2!cooper!joseph
		   joseph@cooper.cooper.edu

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (10/21/88)

In article <1307@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:

> This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
> integrated, it's a desk accessary. We have Word on our student lab and
> there isn't enough disk space now on their boot disks. We couldn't add
> the thesaurus to their 800k boot disks if we wanted to and I doubt we
> would want to--no way to prevent piracy. So much for the new thesaurus.
> Maybe 5.0 will have it as an integrated part of the package...
> Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst

Seems to me that having the dictionary, and the Thesaurus, integrated or
not, would be unusable on a floppy system. There would be no space for
all the files required. It sounds like an HD is required minimally either
way...so the disappointment to me is rather moot....in your environment,
you probably couldn't have it the way you wanted anyway...unless I am missing
something....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (10/21/88)

In article <1393@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU
	(Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
>in article <1307@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) says:
>>
>> This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
>> integrated, it's a desk accessary. We have Word on our student lab and
>> there isn't enough disk space now on their boot disks.
>
>	If you are using a backup copy of Word 4.0, why don't you use
>	ResEdit to install the Thesaurus DA into Word 4.0 itself?

Instead of using ResEdit, use the Font/DA mover -- install the DA
directly into Word by holding down the Option key while clicking on the
"Open ..." button.  You get a list of ALL files, not just Font/DA/System
files.  Select Word from the list, and install away.

--
Mike Simpson		Teknowledge, Inc.  	Los Angeles, CA
Internet/Domain:msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

herrera@polya.Stanford.EDU (Charles S. Herrera) (10/21/88)

Word 4.0 includes the complete font list as compiled by the System on
a font menu - all fonts are visible and there is no need to add/subtract
from a seperate 'font menu' list.

/Charles.

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (10/24/88)

From article <8264@bcsaic.UUCP>, by lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum):
> In article <1307@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>
>>This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
>>integrated, it's a desk accessary. We have Word on our student lab and
>
> But can't you use Font/DA mover to install the Thesaurus in Word itself

I've had many, many, many people tell me this solution and of course, this
is true. In fact, we do that now with fonts to give the students a more
complete set--with system 6, 800k floppies don't leave you a lot of space
for fonts. I knew this could be done with DAs as well, but I had never needed
to do it and so it slipped my mind (it's been a hard year). Thanks, though,
for all those who have informed me of this solution...

--

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (10/24/88)

#	(Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
#>in article <1307@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) says:
#>>
#>> This is my biggest disappointment with the Word 4.0--the thesaurus isn't
#>	If you are using a backup copy of Word 4.0, why don't you use
#Instead of using ResEdit, use the Font/DA mover -- install the DA

Did I miss something?

Is Word 4.0 (Mac) out? Haven't read any reports on it, nor did I
receive any pressreleases.

Please, enlighten me ;)
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/26/88)

In article <435@nikhefk.UUCP> paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:

>Did I miss something?
>
>Is Word 4.0 (Mac) out? Haven't read any reports on it, nor did I
>receive any pressreleases.
>
>Please, enlighten me ;)

No Word 4.0 is not out. Yesterday I got a letter stating that they are
experiencing more delays and hope to have it out by the end of the year.
Registered users and those with reserved copies ($25 coupon) are supposed
to be the first to know when it's available. (And if you believe that...)

Shirley Kehr

her3@tank.uchicago.edu (Ben 'Drew' Herman) (10/27/88)

In article <8264@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>My question about 4.0 is whether they have "fixed" the font menu; i.e. does the
>menu now list all fonts, or do you still have to mess with the character menu.
>
>LSB

Doesn't any body read the manual anymore. MS Word put only the fonts they
thought you would use the most in the fonts menu. You however can customize
all you want.
I hate to do this on the Net, Because you should have the manual handy if you
bought te program. However this may be an obscure note for those who don't
read the manual.
1) to remove a font from the fonts menu:
	command-option- -  (that's a minus)
	gives you a minus cursor click on the font you want to remove
2) to add a font to the font menu
	open the character submenu
	command option +
	this gives you a + cursor. Click on the font you want to add to the
	default font menu.

If you want the full story read the manual.
some of us find this feature rather useful. Making our menus very clean
and haveing ready access to the most used fonts.

The opinions expressed here are mine alone.

Ben Herman

--
Internet: her3@tank.uchicago.edu  or ben@rover.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@tank.uchicago.bitnet

gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas) (10/27/88)

In article <66211@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>In article <435@nikhefk.UUCP> paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
>>Did I miss something?
>>Is Word 4.0 (Mac) out? Haven't read any reports on it, nor did I
>>receive any pressreleases.
>No Word 4.0 is not out. Yesterday I got a letter stating that they are
>experiencing more delays and hope to have it out by the end of the year.
>
>Shirley Kehr

You know, this is kind of funny, since about three weeks ago, I was in the
local Software Etc. store, looking at what was available.  And there, with
the mac books was a big blue book entitled something like "Understanding
Word 4.0".  Yup, 4.0.  A quick glance through showed that this was in fact
for 4.0 (it looks pretty nifty), not 3.0.  So even though the program isn't
available, and won't be until the end of the year, you can get a book to
help you use it now.  But then again, this world now has "Cheez Wiz for
One", so anything can happen.

= "Whether you like it, or don't like it, sit   | - gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu - =
=  back and take a look at it, because it's the |   Glenn Andreas           =
=  best going today!  WOOOOoooo!" - Ric Flair   |                           =

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (10/29/88)

In article <544@tank.uchicago.edu> her3@tank.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Ben 'Drew' Herman) writes:
>In article <8264@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>>My question about 4.0 is whether they have "fixed" the font menu; i.e. does the
>>menu now list all fonts, or do you still have to mess with the character menu.
>
>Doesn't any body read the manual anymore. MS Word put only the fonts they
>thought you would use the most in the fonts menu. You however can customize
>all you want.

Thank you for your nice flame!

Perhaps it may have not occurred to you but I do not as yet have a copy of Word
and my question was aimed at one of the factors affecting my decision as to
whether or not to acquire it.

I have been aware however that many people consider this "feature" of Word to be
cumbersome and objectionable.

And yes I am well aware that you can customize the menu.  This can cause problems
if the Mac is shared by many people in an office.  Can my customizations be made
private, so that other people aren't forced to live with them?
(I honestly do not know the answer and would like to.)

I understand that in 4.0 practically the entire interface is customizable.  Can
individual users have separate customizations which they can load, or is the
customization shared?

steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (10/30/88)

In article <535@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Glenn Andreas) writes:
}You know, this is kind of funny, since about three weeks ago, I was in the
}local Software Etc. store, looking at what was available.  And there, with
}the mac books was a big blue book entitled something like "Understanding
}Word 4.0".  Yup, 4.0.  A quick glance through showed that this was in fact
}for 4.0 (it looks pretty nifty), not 3.0.  So even though the program isn't
}available, and won't be until the end of the year, you can get a book to
}help you use it now.

Maybe this book was mis-placed, and really belonged in the IBM PC section.
On the PC, 4.0 is the current version of Word, and in fact they're getting
5.0 shortly!  I sure wish they'd hurry with _our_ 4.0!!

----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE
----- uucp:     pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!steve       CompuServe: 73627,570
----- alt.uucp: {decwrl!}sun!apple!lemke             GEnie:      S.Lemke
----- Quote:    "What'd I go to college for?"   "You had fun, didn't you?"

uh@bsiao.UUCP (Uul Haanstra) (10/31/88)

in article <8438@bcsaic.UUCP>, lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) says:
> ... Can my customizations be made
> private, so that other people aren't forced to live with them?

These are saved in the file 'Word Settings', inside your system folder.
So, dependent on whether that resides on your Mac's hard-disk, or on
separate and disctinct floppy disks.

Uul Haanstra, Postbank N.V. Amsterdam                ...!mcvax!bsiao!uh
              Pb 21009
	      1000 EX AMSTERDAM                         +31-20 584 3312

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (11/01/88)

In article <8438@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>...I am well aware that you can customize [Word's] menu.  This can cause
>problems
>if the Mac is shared by many people in an office.  Can my customizations be
>made
>private, so that other people aren't forced to live with them?
>
>I understand that in 4.0 practically the entire interface is customizable.  Can
>individual users have separate customizations which they can load, or is the
>customization shared?

When you do anything to customize Word (3.n), you affect Word itself via a file
in the System folder named Word Settings. Each user can start Word with his
own Word Settings folder and thereby have his own Word customization. You do
need to keep your own copy of this file and replace the current Word Settings
file when you sit down to work.

For more information about Word prior to purchasing, there are some pretty
good books that tell you how to work with Word. $20 or so for a book is a
good way to judge the product. The best one (in my opinion) is "Working
With Word" published by Microsoft Press. Also "Word Companion" published by
Cobb is good.

If you end up buying Word, you'll have a nice addition to the User Manual,
which is arranged in alphabetical order - sort of like an Encyclopedia instead
of the more traditional approach.

Shirley Kehr

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/05/88)

In article <495@bsiao.UUCP> uh@bsiao.UUCP (Uul Haanstra) writes:
>in article <8438@bcsaic.UUCP>, lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) says:
>> ... Can my customizations be made
>> private, so that other people aren't forced to live with them?
>
>These are saved in the file 'Word Settings', inside your system folder.
>So, dependent on whether that resides on your Mac's hard-disk, or on
>separate and disctinct floppy disks.

Quoting from the November MacWorld (no, I don't subscribe):
"You can literally redesign Word 4.0's menu bar, adding and removing
 commands, moving them to different menus, and assigning keyboard
 shortcuts.  You can save and load different customizing settings, too;
 if several people use one copy of Word, each can have his or her own
 custom settings."

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (05/08/89)

I just received WORD4.0 this Saturday (MS says that they don't deliver to
PO Boxes, but it was there!).  I played Saturday and Sunday with it and have
a few comments.

1- It is nice.  But then, I never felt that previous versions were too hard
	to learn or use. They really suited my needs and even did more!
	They could handle formulas and PostScript commands. They had dictionary.
	They could make a table of contents and an index.  All this before other
	other programs could.
2- In some situations (I haven't wrote all of them down) the menubar takes a
	long time to be activated (not always).
3- Tables are nice (and you can even get the tables in your old documents that
	were made using tabs or spaces and "automatically" transform them into
	new tables).
4- Linking the figures/tables that you paste in your Word document to take care
	of updates is VERY nice (but you better get your memory upgrades ready.
	In a 1 Meg machine, Word is the only thing that will run under MF, and
	you NEED MF to be able to update your figures.  Memory upgrade here I
	go :-) ).
5- The manuals are better than before, the Thesaurus is larger, the dictionary
	seems work faster.
6- For those that like it, you can redefine the menus so they resemble your
	previous word processor, or suit your own taste.
7- The dialog boxes have been changed.  There are pop up menus inside some of
	them.  It something new to get used to.

I will play with it some more, read the big manual and then post any new
findings.  Word is one of those programs for which it pays to read the manual in
detail after you are used to the program, for you always find a new thing.
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola
Machine Intelligence Laboratory  -- University of Florida

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/12/89)

In article <5694@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes: (actually, the Word program manager writes)
>| * When the Page Setup... setting for unlimited downloadable fonts (in
>| the Options button dialog) is checked, documents using downloadable
>| fonts show major portions in Courier font. This indicates that the
>| LaserWriter is not getting the downloaded font when requested.
>| Unchecking the unlimited downloadable fonts option fixes the problem,
>| but limits you to a very few downloadable fonts. This bug remains
>| from version 3.
>
>This is a bug with the LaserWriter driver.  The same symptom occurs
>with FullWrite, WordPerfect, MacWrite, and, yes, Word 3.02.  We
>expect that it will be fixed in future System Software releases.
>
>Paul J. Davis
>Program Manager
>Word for the Mac

Actually, there IS sort of a bug with Word 4.0, since
Word 4.0 saves font information as NUMBERS instead of
font NAMES. If the LaserWriter driver receives a font
number that does not exist in the current System (or,
for that matter, a font name that doesn't exist in the
current System), it will send that bit of text to the
LaserWriter as Courier font.  I've had that happen a
lot at Laser Parlors when using programs that save
font information by font numbers.

BTW, Apple has requested that all new programs save
font information by font NAME in some tech note,
especially since the Font/DA Mover will arbitrarily
change FONT IDs to NFNT #s nowadays.  Is there a good
reason why Word 4.0 does not follow this guideline?

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/13/89)

In article <96783@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
<In article <96782@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP I wrote, regarding getting
<in and out of print preview:
<
<<You used to be able
<<to toggle out with the same key that put you in that mode. Now, it looks
<<like the only way out is to click Cancel. This seems very unlike Microsoft,
<<to require the mouse. I used to get out with 5 on the keypad. That key
<<has no assignment now.

>Sorry if I confused anyone. I had a Quickey to get in and out of the
>old page preview, though I always used 5 on the keypad (which I did not
>program) to get out.

When all else fails, read the manual. I finally found the real Print
Preview discussion in the Reference Manual (after accidentally
discovering command-W). Command-period also exits Print Preview. Just
have to retrain my hand.

Shirley