[comp.sys.mac] Companies that recover info on crashed disks???

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (05/12/89)

Hello I am posting a request for a friend who has lost vital info on a
mfs floppy disk.  We have used sum in an effort to recover the info,
to no avail.

Does anyone know of a company that specializes in recovering info?

Does know of a *better* file revovery package?

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (05/13/89)

The best program I know of is the Symantec SUM. (However, it did _not_
recover my SE/30 80 Mb hard disk when it crashed.)

Hans Aberg, Mathematics
aberg@math.rutgers.edu

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (05/13/89)

In article <20281@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>Hello I am posting a request for a friend who has lost vital info on a
>mfs floppy disk.  We have used sum in an effort to recover the info,
>to no avail.
>
>Does anyone know of a company that specializes in recovering info?
>
>Does know of a *better* file revovery package?

First Aid HFS.  I forget who sells it; someone else on the Net will
undoubtedly post a followup to this article with that detail.  But I have
found that First Aid HFS will do all the dirty work of recovering lost or
trashed files for me nine times out of ten - and trust me, I've dealt with
a *lot* of lost or trashed files.

It has a very good user interface.  It looks at a disk for bad sectors, then
offers a listing of all the files it has found and allows you to move them to
a clean disk.  More often than not, the disk damage is really only a result
of a fried directory sector; 1st Aid HFS will still find the files and will
usually be able to rescue them all intact.

If it finds sectors that are allocated but not in use by any file, it
puts them into a "Fake" file that you can save to another disk and load into
a word processor to search for lost text.

It gives you much more control over the repair process than does SUM, and
it offers several more options as well.  If 1st Aid HFS can't fix a disk, I
then turn to SUM and see what I can do, however.  The difference between the
two packages is that SUM consists of many all-purpose file utilities;
1st Aid HFS is one program with one purpose - fixing disks.

     << Brian >>