[comp.sys.mac] Follow-up to "Yet another virus?"

DR9021@UCSFVM.BITNET (05/13/89)

Date: 12 May 89, 14:52:07 PST
From: Donna Reynolds                                 DR9021   at UCSFVM
To:   COMP-SYS-MAC at VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Subject:  Follow-up to "Yet another virus?"

Yesterday we posted a notice to the net describing a number of
apparently virus-like problems experienced in the UCSF Computer Center.
All were detected while MacDraw was in use.  It now appears that
all problems were unrelated and that none were virus-induced.
Just an unhappy coincidence, it would seem, that three separate machines
developed similar-looking difficulties at the same time.

Ken Walter, a software engineer with Claris, solved one of our
problems for us.  The system errors on one machine appear to be
the result of running MacDraw 1.9 with System 6.02.  We now suspect
the problems exhibited by the two remaining machines to be
hardware-related.  They just happened to show up at about
the same time while users just happened to be running MacDraw.
We are currently running additional diagnostic tests, just to be certain.

That said, we'd like to thank everyone who responded to our posting.
The ever-helpful folks at BMUG were quick to get in touch and
offer their assistance.  Ken Walter of Claris, and the Claris
folks in general, were exceptionally helpful.  We sincerely
appreciate both their expert assistance and their genuine concern.

Once again, our most sincere thanks.

Donna Reynolds
Senior Editor
UCSF Computer Center