[comp.sys.mac] optical mice

kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) (05/09/89)

In article <2600@nmtsun.nmt.edu> weevil@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jeff Eliasen) writes:
>When is Apple going to ship the Macintosh standard with optical mice? I
>figure maybe an increase in price of $50, which is small enough that it
>could probably be ignored...

Hopefully never. I have to use an optical mouse everyday with my Sun
and I *hate* it. Not only are you restricted to movement on that silly
little pad, but the mouse must be oriented properly on the pad in order
for the thing to work as expected. The only advantage an optical mouse
has over a normal mouse is no moving parts. It still has to be
cleaned frequently in order to maintain smooth movement.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"A squeegee by any other name wouldn't sound as funny"

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (05/13/89)

Just my 2 cents worth on the mice controversy...Thumbing through several
computer periodicals I've seen several ads describing "opto-mechanical" mice.
Now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!! :-) :-) :-) Reminds me of the
all time great oxymoron,"Christian Science"?!(Christian's can flame away if they
like! I'm an atheist that will enjoy burning in hell! :-) )

Anyway mice are fun in any configuration, also make great conversation pieces
with those who always ask "But what can you do with it?". At least they don't
talk back!
"It doesn't take intellegence to use one of these things, just bang away."
Scott Flatman
Internet:flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu
UUCP:hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!ladder.cs.orst.edu!flatmas
Flame control central,shields on!