[comp.sys.mac] DataDesk Keyboard

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/04/88)

This was written to Charles Neil but didn't get through. I thought it of
sufficient interest to post, hoping Mr Neil also sees it. He asked for more
information about the DataDesk keyboard, specifically a real escape key and
reasonably located control keys.

Given these requirements I can't really recommend the DataDesk 101.  It has
no control key and the key you would consider the escape key is hard coded
to Cancel (Command-period) and Undo (Command-Z while holding down shift with
the cancel key).

I love the feel of the keyboard and I was only concerned with cursor movement
in Word, so it suits my purposes.  I found that I needed to reporgram the
keyboard with QuickKeys instead of DataDesk's own DA because it was incompat-
ible with other DAs (Lookup at least).  Also, you had to turn on the keyboard
programming each session and after installing System Version 5 (Multifinder)
the hot key combination to do this caused a bomb on the SEs at work.  With
QuickKeys, the keyboard is ready to use immediately after startup.

Another manufacturer (Cutting Edge) makes a keyboard called CE 105.  From what
I can see in the ads, it looks like it has control keys (it appears to be
layed out like the Apple extended keyboard.  Does anyone on the net have any
experience with this keyboard?  I would call MacConnection or MacWarehouse as
both advertise the CE keyboard for $135.

I prefer the feel of the DataDesk keyboard over any other I've used, but in
addition to the above problems, both the keyboard on the 512 and the one on
the SE at my former job have "frozen up" producing garbage a few times.  I
believe the keyboard thinks you are holding down the command key.  All you
can do is use the mouse to save and restart.

I wrote DataDesk about the incompatibilities mentioned above.  They did not
respond, while the people who wrote Lookup called to get more information.

Since you've waited this long, you have one other option - to wait longer for
the ADBridge that is supposed to let you put ADB devices on a non-ADB Mac (and
vice versa).  I recently saw a news item in either MacWorld or MacUser that
this device is still being delayed by problems, but it sounded like they are
still trying to get it out the door.  Does anyone have any more specific
information about this product?

Hope this helps (and I hope we get our comp.sys.mac news again soon).

Shirley Kehr

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (05/13/89)

In article <13449@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:
>The second complaint is specific to the use of Word 4.0 with DataDesk
>keyboard.
>I have been looking at an init that maps the datadesk keyboard (for
>Mac Plus) to the apple extended keyboard.  The init fools every software
>into thinking that I have the extended keyboard.  The confirmation for
>this that MacroMaker treats the F5 on the DataDesk keyboard just like F5
>on Apple Extended keyboard, and Pageup pagedown etc, (although it maps the
>Hoem keys as Help key on Apple Extended, because they are in the same
>position).  I also know that Word 4 is also fooled into thinking that
>it is an Apple Extended keyboard because pageUp and PageDown keys will
>scroll the text one screenful up and down respectively in Word ( a
>feature that is specifically for the people blessed with Extended
>keyboards).  And when I am in the Command... dialog box assigning
>different keystrokes to functions in Word, Word displays them as
>F1..F15 properly as well.  HOWEVER, when I tried to use the command
>"Show Function Keys..." - which will show the function keys equivalents
>for the menu items instead of Command Key equivalents (such as, F1 for
>Cut instead of command-x), Word just would not do it.  Toggling the "Show
>Function Keys..." feature on and off just DOESN'T do a darn thing at
>all.  Is this a bug or that Word recognizes it's a fake Apple Extended
>keyboard when it comes to showing function keys ????

  Actually, it's not really either one.

  The problem (from a programming point of view) is that the DataDesk
keyboard presents itself to the System as a garden-variety Mac Plus
keyboard. Presumably, Word calls SysEnvirons() to determine keyboard
type (or else it looks at the value stored in kbdType), and the value
for a Plus keyboard is returned. Obviously, a Plus keyboard doesn't have
function keys, so "Show Function Keys" fails. :-(

  Dealing with keyDown events is a different matter. Since (again,
presumably) the same keyDown handling code is used in Word regardless
of the type of keyboard attached, an event involving a function key will
be noticed and processed accordingly (assuming an INIT like the QuicKeys
DataDesk INIT has correctly remapped the virtual keycodes).

  To the best of my knowledge, there IS no way for a program to distinguish
between the DataDesk and a standard Plus keyboard, unless you want to wait
around for the user to hit "Page Up", or "F5", or whatever (an event which
may never happen). You can't determine anything by calling the low-level
key translation routines, since the mappings aren't influenced by whether
a key is actually present.

  The point here is that the problems you experienced aren't Word's fault,
since it believes (quite honestly, and in the "Apple-blessed manner") that
you're using a standard Plus keyboard.

  (I'd sure like to hear from someone who knows how the low-level Event
Manager keyboard polling routine works!)

-ken

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud