[comp.sys.mac] Printer questions

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (01/06/88)

I must be missing something;  The Imagewriter II seems to be able to print
reasonably nice near-letter-quality in it's "native" mode, but when asked to
print from MacDraw, MacPaint or MS Word, etc. the quality is really quite
atrocious. (I realize that it is "drawing" the letters in the latter case,
and in "native" mode it's using the on-board ROM character generator).

I am willing (grudgingly :-( ) to put up with this when I, infrequently,
need to imbed graphics with my text, but surely there must be a way to get a
word-processor (MS Word?) to print in a high-quality mode.

I have tried Beverly Hills, Boston II, and Lachine fonts - they are better,
but nowhere near as nice as the Imagewriter's builtin NLQ mode.

HELP!

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (01/15/88)

In article <2596@calmasd.GE.COM>, jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:
> I must be missing something;  The Imagewriter II seems to be able to print
> reasonably nice near-letter-quality in it's "native" mode, but when asked to
> print from MacDraw, MacPaint or MS Word, etc. the quality is really quite
> atrocious. (I realize that it is "drawing" the letters in the latter case,
> and in "native" mode it's using the on-board ROM character generator).

  To get decent quality output on the ImageWriter II when you're printing
with Best Quality mode, make sure that you have a point size double that of
what you acutally use in your application in the System File.  In English,
if you're using 12 point New York to write a paper in MS Word, have both
12 and 24 point NY in the System file.
  What happens is that when you print on the IW II, the ImageWriter driver
will actually use the larger point size, and reduce it by fifty percent when
you select "Best Quality."  In effect, you're gettting twice the resolution
of the font.
  I know that this method will work with programs such as MS Word, and MacDraw,
but I'm not sure what happens in MacPaint, since I believe that handles fonts
as bitmaps, instead of fonts.

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (05/15/89)

Which would be a better/faster printer combination for a Mac SE:

1. A Seikosha printer ($235)

2. A Panasonic KX-P1191 printer at 240 cps, 48 cps NLQ, who knows what
for bit graphics, but graphics at 240x216 dots per inch. ($297 or less)
This connected via an Orange Micro C/Mac/GS.

3. Any other recommendation at $250 to $300?
   (Note that I own a O.M Grappler C/Mac/GS and is not part of cost.)

Can some one tell me where I can get some technical info on the Seikosha
printer?

Could some one point out recent articles comparing printers?

Thanks!
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.