[comp.sys.mac] Font/Sound Valet troubles

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/13/89)

My newly updated version of Font/Sound Valet (thanks, Steve!) is
now giving me major troubles.  Well, not THAT major, but...well,
let me describe them to you.

I unpacked a font file (packed previously with the "old" version
of Font/Sound Valet) and added about 200K of fonts to it, making
it almost 700K in size.  No problem so far.  The problems came
when I tried to re-pack the file.

F/SV got about a quarter of the way through before choking and
saying, "Could not finish packing because there is not enough RAM
for Font/Sound Valet or the system software." (not a direct quote
but quite close) Since this was on a 1 meg SE/30, I decided to
try it on the 4 meg //cx.  Same message, both in MultiFinder and
UniFinder.

Since the Suitcase documentation says that if a file is partly
packed there is no damage to the file, I decided to unpack it on
my vanilla SE at home.  Crash, boom, bang, both ID=01 (extremely
rare on an SE) and ID=02 after I clicked on the restart button.
I eventually needed to do a cold reboot.

So, what should I do?  I tossed the file, but I can probably
recreate the problem since I have a backup of the original.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (05/15/89)

In article <24358@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu
(Alexander Lau) writes:

> I unpacked a font file (packed previously with the "old" version
> of Font/Sound Valet) and added about 200K of fonts to it, making
> it almost 700K in size.  No problem so far.  The problems came
> when I tried to re-pack the file.
>
> F/SV got about a quarter of the way through before choking and
> saying, "Could not finish packing because there is not enough RAM
> for Font/Sound Valet or the system software."...

My best guess is that the font file is corrupt, and your use of the new
version of F&SV is coincidental to finding the problem.  The "not enough RAM"
message is typical of a corrupt resource map that contains a bogus huge size
for a resource.  So, I suggest starting with the original file -- and let's
hope that you *can't* recreate the problem.

It's also possible (albeit unlikely) that the file was victim of the packing
bug in the original version of F&SV; in that case, the same remedy applies.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)