[comp.sys.mac] Problem launching DAs under Multifinder w/ MacIIcx running 6.0.3

jonab@NISD.CAM.UNISYS.COM (Jonathan P. Biggar) (05/11/89)

I just recently purchased a MacIIcx and suddenly, I find that I cannot
launch any Desk Accessories under Multifinder; the system just beeps at
me.  This happens whether I have any applications open or not.  I tried
removing almost all fonts and DAs from the system file and rebooting, but
it didn't help.  DAs run fine under the Finder.  Anyone know what is wrong?
Please email replies to me.

Thanks

Jon Biggar
jonab@nisd.cam.unisys.com

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (05/12/89)

In article <531@kronos.NISD.CAM.UNISYS.COM> jonab@cam.unisys.com (Jonathan P. Biggar) writes:

>I just recently purchased a MacIIcx and suddenly, I find that I cannot
>launch any Desk Accessories under Multifinder; the system just beeps at
>me.  This happens whether I have any applications open or not.  I tried

 When you use MultiFinder you must have the file (application) DA Handler
in the System folder.
 However: there is a way to launch DA in the old way (without DA Handler):
hold down option-key as you select the DA.

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (05/15/89)

In article <2672@osiris.sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
> In article <531@kronos.NISD.CAM.UNISYS.COM> jonab@cam.unisys.com (Jonathan P. Biggar) writes:
> >
>  When you use MultiFinder you must have the file (application) DA Handler
> in the System folder.
>  However: there is a way to launch DA in the old way (without DA Handler):
> hold down option-key as you select the DA.

Note that the "old way" is actually rather risky if you are running MF.
When launched with the option-key down, a DA vies for memory within the
memory partition which the frontmost application has requested for itself,
instead of in a separate partition reserved for accessories.

The more precisely that application's developer has estimated the memory
requirement of the application, the less spare room there's going to be
in its partition for extra-application stuff like DAs.  You may find yourself
running out of memory (error, or worse, bomb) doing this even though you
have 3.8MB free in the Unused partition.

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department