[comp.sys.mac] System 7.0 & 68851

STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) (05/13/89)

As I recall, it is possible to get Motorola to send you free or nearly free
chips. The catch is you probably have to be affiliated with an educational
institution and you have to sign in blood that you aren't going to sell them.
The chips have surface defects which means they don't look good, but they still
work. They aren't going to give you a 96Mhz 68030, but I would think you could
get them to send you a 16Mhz 68851. I used to have the address of the person to
contact, but I've lost it. Try talking to someone in the E.E. department at
your favorite university.

Scott Storkel
Macintosh Software Development
Rice University

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (05/15/89)

In article <1047STORKEL@RICE>, STORKEL@RICE (Scott Storkel) writes:

|As I recall, it is possible to get Motorola to send you free or nearly free
|chips. The catch is you probably have to be affiliated with an educational
|institution and you have to sign in blood that you aren't going to sell them.
|The chips have surface defects which means they don't look good, but they still
|work. They aren't going to give you a 96Mhz 68030, but I would think you could
|get them to send you a 16Mhz 68851. I used to have the address of the person to
|contact, but I've lost it. Try talking to someone in the E.E. department at
|your favorite university.

If anybody does find that address, could you please post it.  It would be
really nice to get something for free.  Especially since Apple has given
up on the 68020.

Thanks in advance,

John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/15/89)

> As I recall, it is possible to get Motorola to send you free or nearly free
> chips. The catch is you probably have to be affiliated with an educational
> institution and you have to sign in blood that you aren't going to sell them.

If anyone knows the address to which to direct a request for these freebie
chips, please post it to this group (or email me directly). Thanx.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121