[comp.sys.mac] UUCP for the Mac?

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (05/11/89)

Is anyone aware of a uucp port for the Macintosh OS (not
A/UX) and, if it exists, where I might find it?

Many thanks!
Randy Thompson                             uunet!smsdpg!rht
SMS Data Products Group, Inc.                   -  or  -
703/648-9400                                rht@smsdpg.UUCP

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (05/14/89)

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
>Is anyone aware of a uucp port for the Macintosh OS (not
>A/UX) and, if it exists, where I might find it?

I raised that question a week or so ago and received half a dozen answers,
including one "no" and a couple of pointers to UUPC.

UUPC is a somewhat raw implementation of UUCP for personal computers,
originally developed for the IBM-PC but since ported to the Amiga, Atari ST
and the Mac.

Unfortunately, the correspondents who suggested UUPC also said that it
requires the Aztec C shell. Apparently no one has written a point-and-click
interface for it.

Is UUPC an attractive solution? Let me put it this way: I know of a couple of
dozen Usenet sites running on Atari STs and IBM PCs, and not one of them chose
UUPC. :-(

Considering that the Mac has software for Internet and Unix Windows
applications, I'm surprised that no one has put together a good, easy-to-use
UUCP e-mail program, but that seems to be the case.

/*
 * UUCP: {uunet!rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet,killer}!orbit!thelake!steve
 * ARPA: crash!orbit!thelake!steve@nosc.mil
 * #member <STdNET> The ST Developers Network
 */

jsl@cup.portal.com (John S Labovitz) (05/15/89)

I feel a bit hesitant about posting this message, as what I'm about to
describe is not yet released, and in fact has not even been beta tested.
The general net population will probably not see this package for another
few weeks.

But I'll talk about it anyway.

I have been working on a UUCP/mail package that will run on a Macintosh.
For UUCP, I'm using John Gilmore's "gnuucp" package (which, incidentally,
runs on Unix, MS-DOS, Amigas, Ataris, and even CP/M machines).  He is still
developing and testing it (in fact, I just sent him another batch of
revisions today).  I don't know when it will be officially released.

The mail program is something I wrote from scratch.  It's pretty basic
right now -- you can read and write messages, but there is no facility for
any kind of fancy sorting or filing.  It uses standard RFC822-format
headers, so it could be made to work with other transport protocols
(SLIP/SMTP, for example).

The mail program will eventually support reading and sending Usenet
messages (at which time I'll have to think of another name other than "mail
program" :-). I won't be seriously working on the Usenet interface until
the mail portion is working well, and when I have a higher speed modem
(maybe tomorrow, if Telebit comes through on my order!).

And for the question I'm sure everyone is asking: how much will this cost?
The mail/news program will be shareware, probably around $25.  Since gnuucp
is done under the Free Software Foundation, I will probably include it for
free.

To prove that this is not total vaporware, I actually have my Mac
registered in the UUCP maps as "sly" (or "sly.graton.ca.us", if you speak
domains).  You can check it out for yourself.

Send me mail if you have any further questions.  Please note, though, that
if you just want to know when the package will be released, I'd appreciate
that you *not* send me mail.  I will definitely let the net know when
the official version is released.

(To Steve Yelvington: I tried replying to your message about UUCP's on the
Mac, but I could never get a reply through.  Sorry.)

--John Labovitz

* Domain: xylo@graton.ca.us / xylo%sly@wb3ffv.ampr.org / jsl@cup.portal.com
* UUCP:   ...!wb3ffv!sly!xylo
* Phone:  707/823-2919
* USPS:   P.O. Box 523, Graton, CA 95444

gjh@tybalt.caltech.edu (Greg J. Hiscott) (05/16/89)

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) writes:

>rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
>>Is anyone aware of a uucp port for the Macintosh OS (not
>>A/UX) and, if it exists, where I might find it?
>
>UUPC is a somewhat raw implementation of UUCP for personal computers,
>originally developed for the IBM-PC but since ported to the Amiga, Atari ST
>and the Mac.

I have Aztec and UUPC, but I am looking for the source code.
Is there anyone in the Mac community with knowledge of how to obtain
the source code for this utility?  I have checked simtel20 and sumex and
Genie Mac Roundtables.

Should I look into Atari and PC Roundtables and/or BBSs?

+-------+    Greg Hiscott   The human network-gateway.      +-------+
|+-----+|    gjh@ligo.caltech.edu                           |+-----+|
|+-----+|    USPS:Caltech, 102-33, Pasadena, CA 91125       |+-----+|
+-------+    Ph#(818)356-2974      FAX:(818)304-9834        +-------+