[comp.sys.mac] Mouse key equivs

adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) (05/08/89)

All right, one of my friends said that you could move the cursor around in the
Finder and all, via key equivalents in the keypad. Is this true? Is there some
set of modifying keys to push to move the cursor around? (I don't mean MS Word
either...)

Just curious...

Tony Chen
adchen@phoenix.princeton.edu

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (05/09/89)

In article <8216@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU writes:
>All right, one of my friends said that you could move the cursor around in the
>Finder and all, via key equivalents in the keypad. Is this true? Is there some
>set of modifying keys to push to move the cursor around? (I don't mean MS Word
>either...)

What you mean is probably Easy Access.  This INIT allows you to do this,
and more.  You get is with every Mac...
By the way, it works with every program, not only the Finder.
--
  -- Jurjen N.E. Bos (jurjen@cwi.nl)

goldsten@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/09/89)

There's an init called Easy Access that comes with the system software that
allows this.  Arthur

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (05/10/89)

It's called Easy Access, an INIT that comes with System Software 5.0 and up.
Allows access to all modifier keys with one hand (Sticky Keys), and using the
numeric pad as a mouse (Mouse Keys).
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

msf252@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/16/89)

/* Written  4:38 am  May  8, 1989 by adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU */
>All right, one of my friends said that you could move the cursor around in the
>Finder and all, via key equivalents in the keypad. Is this true? Is there some
>set of modifying keys to push to move the cursor around? (I don't mean MS Word
>either...)

In the interests of providing a complete response...

The INIT is named Easy Access, and its icon looks like a Macintosh with the
"wheelchair access" logo on its screen.  If it is in your System folder at
startup, you can use the numeric keypad to move the cursor by pressing the
command, shift, and clear keys simultaneously.  The numbers 1-4 and 6-9 move the
mouse in the directions you would expect.  The number 5 clicks the mouse button.
Hitting 0 does the equivalent of holding down the mouse button (for dragging),
hitting . (decimal point) 'unlocks' or releases the button.

The 'sticky keys' function is activated by hitting the shift key five times.
An icon which looks like a magician's hat will appear at the top right.
Hitting any modifier key (command, control, shift) will have the effect of
holding down that key until one more key is pressed; e.g., you can hit shift,
release it, then hit 'c', and a capital C will appear.  Hitting any modifier
key *twice* while this option is on will 'lock' that key for all further
keystrokes until another modifier key is pressed.

Scott Forbes
msf252@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu		This account will self-destruct in five seconds.
				(And if you think I'm joking, try sending mail!)