[comp.sys.mac] Color/Non-Color Mac Logo at Start-up - What duz it mean?!

pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) (05/01/89)

Folks,
This may mean NOTHING or it may mean everything...
Lately I've been getting an unusually high rate of "bombs". Everything seems
fine (6.0.3 system, etc.) otherwise.  There IS one small thing that's weird:
When I start the Mac (IIX, 8 MB), I see a BLACK & WHITE Mac-logo on the
"Welcome To Macintosh" startup screen, it seems to me that a couple of weeks
ago it WAS color!  I just noticed this, so I don't know exactly what / when /
how it changed.  Is this significant?!  How do I "fix" it?  All other colors are
fine - incl. colors of INIT icons also shown on the same screen at the same
time.

What's got me nervous is that a visiting friend first noticed it:
"Ohhhh, you're Mac logo is black and white... that's NOT good..." but he didn't
know what it meant, etc.

Any clues, hints, etc.  I s'pose I can run the installer again and haul a
new copy of the system, etc; over to the machine.

Yet Another Question:

In the upper right-hand corner of my screen there's a funny little thing happen-
ing.  As I hit the shift key a few times, I notice something that resembles a
"U" kind of thingy appears, as you press "SHIFT" again then a downward pointing
arrow appears, point to the "U", hitting the "SHIFT" again fills in the white
space of the "U" making it appear solid.  There are several variations of this
theme, and eventually, by hitting the "SHIFT" key the thing disappears
completely.  Hitting "SHIFT" a few more times starts the scenario over again.
Anyone know what this is?  Usually my machine is fairly "secure" but there are
a couple of "public" users from time to time.  No one seems to be able to
identify this "feature" though.  I can't see that it really DOES anything!
Anyone else ever seen this??!!

Thanks for all help!

Regards,
Pete Ferris
pff@thumper.bellcore.com

dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) (05/02/89)

In article <1546@thumper.bellcore.com>, pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) writes:
> Folks,
> This may mean NOTHING or it may mean everything...
> Lately I've been getting an unusually high rate of "bombs". Everything seems
> fine (6.0.3 system, etc.) otherwise.  There IS one small thing that's weird:
> When I start the Mac (IIX, 8 MB), I see a BLACK & WHITE Mac-logo on the
> "Welcome To Macintosh" startup screen, it seems to me that a couple of weeks
> ago it WAS color!  I just noticed this, so I don't know exactly what / when /
> how it changed.  Is this significant?!  How do I "fix" it?

I have the smae problem!

> Yet Another Question:
> As I hit the shift key a few times, I notice something that resembles a "U"
> kind of thingy appears, as you press "SHIFT" again then a downward pointing ...
> Anyone else ever seen this??!!  > > Thanks for all help!
> Regards, > Pete Ferris > pff@thumper.bellcore.com

This is part of easy-access, an init to allow user to navigate w/o the
mouse.  It's useful for people with disabilities which prevent them
from using the mouse and for make extremely fine movements of the
cursor.  Also, it allows you to use the keyboard one-handed by locking
the option or command keys.  See your system manual!

-Dave
David Robinowitz                       dr@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
CU SEAS CS MS, NYC  			          (212) 601-1586

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/02/89)

"What's got me nervous is that a visiting friend first noticed it:
""Ohhhh, you're Mac logo is black and white... that's NOT good..." but he didn't
"know what it meant, etc.

Sounds like you need to go into your Control Panel and reset your color
depth.  You may even want to reset your PRAM (I think you hold down option
while selecting Control Panel), which might have gotten screwed up.

"In the upper right-hand corner of my screen there's a funny little thing happen-
"ing.  As I hit the shift key a few times, I notice something that resembles a
""U" kind of thingy appears, as you press "SHIFT" again then a downward pointing
"arrow appears, point to the "U", hitting the "SHIFT" again fills in the white
"space of the "U" making it appear solid.  There are several variations of this
"theme, and eventually, by hitting the "SHIFT" key the thing disappears

Sounds like someone placed the Easy Access INIT in your System Folder.  This
allows handicapped users to do keyboard things and mouse things without
having to use the mouse or ever hold down two keys simultaneously.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (05/02/89)

If you did the minimal installation, you won't get the color icon
either.

Jon

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (05/02/89)

In article <1546@thumper.bellcore.com> pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) writes:

.fine (6.0.3 system, etc.) otherwise.  There IS one small thing that's weird:
.When I start the Mac (IIX, 8 MB), I see a BLACK & WHITE Mac-logo on the
."Welcome To Macintosh" startup screen, it seems to me that a couple of weeks
.ago it WAS color!  I just noticed this, so I don't know exactly what / when /
.how it changed.  Is this significant?!  How do I "fix" it?  All other colors are

It just means that your PRAM and the monitor cdev's color depth dosen't
match.  To fix it:

1.  After booting up, open the control panel and select the "Monitor" cdev.
2.  Set the color depth to 2-colors/ B&W.
3.  Close the control panel.  THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT.  DON'T SKIP IT!
4.  Open the control panel again, and select the "Monitor" cdev.
5.  Set the color depth to 256-colors/Color or 16-colors/Color and close the
	control panel.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| US Mail:   202C Grenadier Drive, Liverpool, NY 13090                      |
| Phone:     Work: 1-315-456-3214,  Home: 1-315-622-0362                    |
| Delphi:    chow2                                                          |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (J Houghtaling) (05/02/89)

I think what you're seeing is part of Apple's Easy Access INIT.  I just spent
a few minutes trying to find the documentation on it with no luck.  There is
a "sticky keys" feature of that INIT that enables those who might have
difficulty typing to hit the shift key first and then the character they wish
to have appear in upper case.  I tried installing it in my system to see if I
was right, but couldn't get it to work.  Anyway, check your system folder to
see if it's there.  Move it off to the desktop (or delete it) and see if the
phenomenon re-occurs.

On a vaguely related point: does anyone out there know what the dickens is
with Suitcase II that it is so hostile to other INITs?  I use a lot (some might
say *too* many) INITs and have had to rename most of them to begin with "z's"
just to get my machine to boot.  Is this the fault of Suitcase or the other
guys.  I have a feeling that someone out there ain't playing by the (Apple's)
rules!

Best regards,
joe

(no signature on file)

milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) (05/16/89)

folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes
>Sounds like [sic] you need to go into your Control Panel and reset your color
>depth.  You may even want to reset your PRAM (I think you hold down option
>while selecting Control Panel), which might have gotten screwed up.

   Almost: hold down SHIFT, CONTROL and OPTION as you pull down the DA list
   and select control panel.  If you're using Suitcase or Suitcase II, I'm not
   sure what you need to do, since holding down OPTION will show a short form
   of the menu from which control panel is absent.  You can try choosing
   Suitcase itself, then holding the 3 modifiers down while you choose control
   panel from its list.  If this doesn't work, you'll probably have to disable
   Suitcase until you've reset the PRAM.

   Before you do this, be aware of the things the PRAM controls.  There is a
   DA available from info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu that lists the settings
   of the PRAM.

   Alastair Milne