[comp.sys.mac] 400K disks, Are they worth anything?

adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) (05/10/89)

I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
I can do with these disks?

Please email you suggestions...

	Adam

Adam Beguelin 			Computer Science Department Box 430
adamb@boulder.Colorado.Edu		     University of Colorado
303/492-7906				      Boulder, CO 80309-430

>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>I can do with these disks?

No, no use at all. However, they need to be disposed of properly, so if you
mail them to me, I'll make sure they're appropriated taken care of... They
have been known to cause cancer in lab animals when placed under the skin of
rats.

chuq (uh, huh! really! honest!)

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Bookends. What a wonderful thought.

sandell@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Gregory Sandell) (05/10/89)

In article <30373@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>>I can do with these disks?

	Try initializing them as 800k disks.  It's been known to work
now and then.

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (05/10/89)

In article <8690@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:
>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>I can do with these disks?

    Have you ever wanted to take a record and send it sailing?  Well,
disks make GREAT mini-frisbees.  Take 'em into the local park with a
few friends and play tag with 'em.  Use 'em like shuriken (japanese
throwing stars)!

                                          -Josh Alden
                                            Joshua.Alden@dartmouth.edu

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (05/11/89)

>In article <8690@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:
>>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>>I can do with these disks?

ReFormat them as double sided.
John Mansfield
University of Michigan
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (05/12/89)

In article <8690@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:

>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>I can do with these disks?

There are several things you could do with your 400K disks.

Other than the obvious, which I won't mention on a family network,
you can:

* use them as drink coasters

* remove the round, floppy part from the casing to use as frisbees

* use four stacks of 15 to raise your new computer's monitor to
  proper viewing level

* place one in the mailbox of each grad student in your department
  to see what they do with them

* give them to an IBM PS/2 user to confuse him/her

* wallpaper seven and a half square feet of wall with them

* glue them together and put them on a Mac user's desk to freak
  out him/her

* glue each one individually onto a separate Mac user's desk to
  freak out him/her

* test your Corning cookware's melting point with them inside
  (use resulting slag to fill cracks in your porcelain)

* mail them to me as a joke

* see if they will work in your compact disc player

* mail them to John Sculley as a joke

* toast them

* mail them to IBM's CEO as a joke

* use them as skeet-shooting targets

* mail them to Mikhail Gorbachev as a joke

* punch holes in them and initialize them all as high-density 1.4Mb
  diskettes, then give them to an FDHD disk drive user to watch his/her
  face when they all fail in two weeks

* give them a decent burial

* mail them to Tip Sheet, c/o MacUser Magazine, 950 Tower Lane,
  18th floor, Foster City, CA 94404 (if they find a tip in any of
  them and publish it, you'll get $25)

* give them a decent burial at sea

* refuse to let a security inspector on an El Al flight look at them

* save a copy of this e-mail message on each of them

* throw them all away

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (05/12/89)

In article <43284b3c.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.UUCP (John F. Mansfield) writes:
>>In article <8690@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:
>>>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>>>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>>>I can do with these disks?
>>
>ReFormat them as double sided.

While this is possible, there is a VERY good reason not to do it....
The only difference between single- and double-sided diskettes is that the
manufacturer has certified that BOTH sides of the double-sided are GOOD.  In
fact, it is entirely possible that a "single-sided" diskette is one that
couldn't pass the manufacturer's tests on one of its sides.  You may be able
to format it double-sided, but I wouldn't count on it maintaining its data
integrity very long......believe me, I speak from experience.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (05/16/89)

>In article <8690@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:
>>I have around 60 400K mac disks that are now useless to me
>>since I no longer have a mac.  Is there anything worthwhile
>>I can do with these disks?
Yes: send them to me!!!  I know "everybody" uses 800k these days, but
for free, the 400k are just fine for archiving various small projects
and subfolders. And, golly :=), it ain't that much more work to backup
to 400k's than to 800k's.
Mail to address below. Thanx

--

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)