[comp.sys.mac] Fade to Black

kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) (05/11/89)

[I tried mailing this to the author, but it bounced]

I recently downloaded version 3.1.1 of Fade to Black and I really like
it.  I appreciate your sharing it with the Macintosh community.  It
does everything I would want a screen-saver to do.

Unfortunately, I have discovered an incompatibility between Fade to
Black and one of the applications I use (MacCalc).  This problem may
very well be in MacCalc, since all other applications seem to run
fine.  When I am in MacCalc and Fade to Black does its thing, the
finder icon (i.e. the "Macintosh" icon) bounces around the screen
rather than MacCalc's icon.  This is the only application to do this.
The real problem, however, is that when I run a large spreadsheet,
MacCalc gets an (unspecified) error when re-computing the spreadsheet.
I am running system version 6.0.2.

Have you had any other problems like this reported to you (either with
MacCalc or another application mis-behaving when Fade to Black is
running)?  I would appreciate any info you could give me.  I would
really like to run Fade to Black all of the time, but right now, I
can't install it unless I know I won't be using MacCalc for a long
period of time.  Thanks.

Btw, the problem also occurs when using version 3.0 of Fade to Black.

--
Kevin C. Rushforth                   | "If winning is not important,
Sun Microsystems                     |  then commander, why keep score?"
                                     |              - Lt. Worf
ARPA: kcr@sun.com                    |
UUCP: <most-backbone-sites>!sun!kcr  |

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (05/12/89)

In article <104250@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> kcr@sun.UUCP (Kevin Rushforth) writes:
>[I tried mailing this to the author, but it bounced]
>
>I recently downloaded version 3.1.1 of Fade to Black and I really like
>it.  I appreciate your sharing it with the Macintosh community.  It
>does everything I would want a screen-saver to do.

The author is no longer on this net (at least, not where he used to be).
(If he's found a new net home, I'd like to hear from him, too.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (05/13/89)

In article <4998@mnetor.UUCP>, frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
> In article <104250@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> kcr@sun.UUCP (Kevin Rushforth) writes:
>>[I tried mailing this to the author, but it bounced]
>>
>>I recently downloaded version 3.1.1 of Fade to Black and I really like
>>it.  I appreciate your sharing it with the Macintosh community.  It
>>does everything I would want a screen-saver to do.
>
> The author is no longer on this net (at least, not where he used to be).
> (If he's found a new net home, I'd like to hear from him, too.)

I also downloaded Fade to Black 3.1.1 thinking that it would work better than
before (v. 3.0 that is). I have a Dove Computer accelerator card for my SE,
and - wow - did it accelerate! The clock displaued under the roaming icon
ran at more than twice its normal speed. How about this? Does it do the same
thing on a normal Mac II?

I tried to mail this observation to Brian Mathhews (the author) but the
posting didn't make it through netland.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (05/16/89)

In article <104250@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> kcr@sun.UUCP (Kevin Rushforth) writes:
>[I tried mailing this to the author, but it bounced]
>
>I recently downloaded version 3.1.1 of Fade to Black and I really like
>it.  I appreciate your sharing it with the Macintosh community.  It
>does everything I would want a screen-saver to do.
Not me. Sys 602, Multifinder, and so on on an SE-20Mb. With NO appls
launched, it crashed first try. That is: I setup FTB, rebooted, and waited
for the timeout. It crashed immediately.
SO, how about putting FTB in as a CDEV, the way you're supposed to? What
I really want is something which operates as cleanly and properly as
Pyro or Moire, but which has a simple, slow, boring display that FTB shoule
should have.
Thankx for reading.

--

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)