[comp.sys.mac] Problem with FWP 1.0 starting from document

tom@ghp.UUCP (Tom Huras) (05/15/89)

I have a vague recollection that this problem has already been solved
but would appreciate a quick fix.

The problem:
-  Double clicking on a FWP document doesn't start up FWP.
-  The error message is "application is busy or unavailable"
-  This problem just appeared when I upgraded to 6.0.2.

Other evidence:
-  If I start up FWP directly, I can open the FWP document.  With FWP
running, double clicking on a document causes it to be opened.
-  Documents created from FWP also won't launch FWP.
-  I`ve looked a bit in vain with the resource editor at the
differences between FWP and Excel (which works fine).

The environment:
-  System 6.0.2
-  Mac SE
-  FullWrite Professional 1.0

advTHANKSance
--
"Wisdom is supreme;          | Tom Huras, Gellman.Hayward & Partners Ltd.
  therefore get wisdom.      | 33 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5E 1G4

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (05/16/89)

>The problem:
>-  Double clicking on a FWP document doesn't start up FWP.
>-  The error message is "application is busy or unavailable"
>-  This problem just appeared when I upgraded to 6.0.2.

Sometimes, for a reason I don't know, any application might become
corrupted. You should reinstall a new copy from your original
(presumably locked) floppy.

Hans Aberg, Mathematics
aberg@math.rutgers.edu

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/16/89)

In article <May.16.11.09.29.1989.15445@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
#>>The problem:
#>>-  Double clicking on a FWP document doesn't start up FWP.
#>>-  The error message is "application is busy or unavailable"
#>>-  This problem just appeared when I upgraded to 6.0.2.
#>
#>Sometimes, for a reason I don't know, any application might become
#>corrupted. You should reinstall a new copy from your original
#>(presumably locked) floppy.
#>
#>Hans Aberg, Mathematics
#>aberg@math.rutgers.edu

I get this message a lot with WriteNow. I've noticed that if
one repeats the double click, the application always launches.
(Maybe the finder is stalling for time while it looks around
on the HD. ;<{)

Steve Goldfield

>-  Double clicking on a FWP document doesn't start up FWP.
>-  The error message is "application is busy or unavailable"
>-  This problem just appeared when I upgraded to 6.0.2.

There was a known problem with FWP 1.0 where the dictionary files were
shipped with the bundle bit set. Look for any FWP files in the System folder
and check them with Resedit or a file editor. If the files have the bundle
bit turned on, turn it off.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

This is....The Voice....of USENET....in special English. 1300UTC on 11525.

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (05/16/89)

This is the infamous "Thesaurus bundle bit" problem, which didn't
show up until System 6. The problem: the first release was shipped
(1.0) with the bundle bit set on in the thesaurus and dictionary
files (possibly others; I don't remember exactly). This screws up
the entry in the desktop file that would normally launch FWP when
double-clicking the document.

The fix: set the bundle off in the thesaurus and any other files
shipped with FWP other than the application itself; then rebuild
the desktop to register the correct application.

Or, call Customer Service at (213) 329-9989 to trade in your disks
for disks on which this has already been done.  Or even better,
hold out for a week or so:  you may have already won Release 1.1,
and it should be on its way out to you.

--Cy Shuster--

chas@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Chuck Fisher) (05/16/89)

In article <May.16.11.09.29.1989.15445@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
>>The problem:
>>-  Double clicking on a FWP document doesn't start up FWP.
>>-  The error message is "application is busy or unavailable"
>>-  This problem just appeared when I upgraded to 6.0.2.

You probably have an old copy of FWP and its Dictionary and
Thesaurus.  Either the Dictionary or the Thesaurus (I can't
remember which) incorrectly had its "bundle bit" set.  This
makes it appear to be an application rather than just a
"document".  Previous Systems did not have a problem with
this, but last year when System 6.0.x came out, Ashton-Tate sent
a new file (free to registered owners) which had the bundle bit
turned off.  This made the problem you describe go away.  The new
version 1.1 recently sent also has this problem fixed.

Hope this helps.

--
Chuck Fisher

uucp:  ... sun!fisher!chas             posting mail to "pitstop"
internet:  chas%fisher@sun.com         will be routed to my host

rcb@cccvs1.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) (05/17/89)

In article <24475@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <May.16.11.09.29.1989.15445@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
>#>>The problem:
>#>>-  Double clicking on a FWP document doesn't start up FWP.
>#>>-  The error message is "application is busy or unavailable"
>#>>-  This problem just appeared when I upgraded to 6.0.2.
>
>I get this message a lot with WriteNow. I've noticed that if
>one repeats the double click, the application always launches.
>(Maybe the finder is stalling for time while it looks around
>on the HD. ;<{)

I had a similar problem recently with Dreams. I could only double click
a dreams document and get the program to run if the folder with the
program was open. After much hair pulling and reinstalling of the program,
I eventually found out that it was the SUM inits that were causing the
problem (version 1.02 or whatever the most recent release was).
Since this was basically the last straw with me for SUM, I unpartitioned
my disk and removed SUM. No problems now.

Anybody know of any good partitioning software for a mac with a quantum
drive?

Randy Buckland
rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu