[comp.sys.mac] 1Mb SIMMs available

chris@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Chris Magnuson) (05/06/89)

I've got a line on some 1Mb SIMMs for any Macintosh (100 ns access)
for $200.  Call 707-257-3909 before May 19, leave message.

jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/09/89)

I've got a better line on them!!
Technology Works in Austin, TX has 100ns, low profile SIMMs with a lifetime warranty for $159.  I am not associated with TW, but I have been immensely happy    with the service I have received in previous orders.

Jeff
jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) (05/09/89)

>I've got a line on some 1Mb SIMMs for any Macintosh (100 ns access)
>for $200.  Call 707-257-3909 before May 19, leave message.

Fry's has them for $179, 100ns or 120ns (why the choice, I don't know).
However, these are the "high-profile" SIMMs.

bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) (05/10/89)

>>I've got a line on some 1Mb SIMMs for any Macintosh (100 ns access)
>>for $200.  Call 707-257-3909 before May 19, leave message.
>
>Fry's has them for $179, 100ns or 120ns (why the choice, I don't know).
>However, these are the "high-profile" SIMMs.

Yesterday, I noticed that Haltek has unmounted, surface-mount 1-Mbit
DRAMs, for about $9 each (100 ns are slightly more expensive than 120ns).
If you could get the SIMM boards and were a careful solderer, you could
make 1-Meg SIMMs for about $80!  Anybody know where I can get the SIMM
boards?  BTW, the DRAM chips were of Toshiba manufacture (i.e., presumably
good quality).

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (05/10/89)

>Technology Works in Austin, TX has 100ns, low profile SIMMs with a
>lifetime warranty for $159.  I am not associated with TW, but I have been
>immensely happy with the service I have received in previous orders.

I recently ordered SIMMs from Technology Works, and I second the
recommendation - they seem like a real quality operation.

Sam

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (05/11/89)

In article <18112@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:
>>I've got a line on some 1Mb SIMMs for any Macintosh (100 ns access)
>>for $200.  Call 707-257-3909 before May 19, leave message.
>
>Fry's has them for $179, 100ns or 120ns (why the choice, I don't know).
>However, these are the "high-profile" SIMMs.

Memory prices finally seem to be in free-fall.  This MacWeek (May 9) has
ads for $149 1Mb high-profile & $159 low profileSimms.  At Comdex people
were saying that by the end of the year it will be down to $25/Mb when the
4MB simms get plentiful.

chris@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Chris Magnuson) (05/11/89)

Apparently (in talking to others on the NET) I've overpriced these
SIMMs.  Since I've been sort of _distant_ from the market (I couldn't
afford commercially-available SIMMs) I didn't know that the prices
had dropped for these critters.  Try $160 for 1 Mb SIMMs (100 ns access
for ANY Macintosh) for 100% tested good parts.  (707) 257-3909.

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/11/89)

In article <2782@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
#>Memory prices finally seem to be in free-fall.  This MacWeek (May 9) has
#>ads for $149 1Mb high-profile & $159 low profileSimms.  At Comdex people
#>were saying that by the end of the year it will be down to $25/Mb when the
#>4MB simms get plentiful.

Ah, and will Apple drop its prices any time soon, too? Or will
it continue to make its customers pay for its disastrous business
judgment [see Wall Street Journal, 1/30/89, "Apple Slips as
Result of Hoarding Chips: Costly Purchases May Cut Quarter's
Profit by 43%." The article noted that "Apple is still saddled
with nearly $80 million worth of memory chips."]. At a time
when the anticipation of System 7.0 will likely encourage many
people to upgrade their memory (I got my 5 megs before the prices
went up), it would be nice if Apple made it cheaper to do so.

Steve Goldfield

jonathan@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jonathan Altman) (05/11/89)

In article <24263@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <2782@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>#>Memory prices finally seem to be in free-fall.  This MacWeek (May 9) has
>#>ads for $149 1Mb high-profile & $159 low profileSimms.  At Comdex people
>#>were saying that by the end of the year it will be down to $25/Mb when the
>#>4MB simms get plentiful.
>
>Ah, and will Apple drop its prices any time soon, too? Or will
>it continue to make its customers pay for its disastrous business
>judgment [see Wall Street Journal, 1/30/89, "Apple Slips as
>Result of Hoarding Chips: Costly Purchases May Cut Quarter's
>
>Steve Goldfield

And will netters remember that way back last fall, when memory chips
were more valuable than faberge eggs (maybe not that valuable, but),
they spent many megabytes of transmissions berating Apple for not
building up their DRAM-chip making capacity?  So, Apple does in fact
have no business sense: they listened to you posters and went and
found the memory you'd buy at any price.  Now you're bitching
because the supply of chips, which Apple emphatically DOES NOT
control, has gone way up, dropping the price.  Is Apple happy, stuck
with the expensive memory?  No.  But, they attempted to make their
customers satisfied by finding memory for them.  Is that bad
business?  Well, kind of, but only because they fell for the biggest
business problem in the book, the effects of the delay function.
Attempting to accomodate large spikes in any kind of function, such
as the supply function, inevitably results in a wild swing in that
function, leaving many with gluts of higher priced goods.

This may sound as if I'm angry with the posting asking this.  I'm
not, I'm laughing my head off.  I predicted this bitching almost 10
months ago.  The only thing I can say is, you wanted your memory
NOW, you got it NOW.

Jonathan Altman           jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.edu
Database Administrator	  jonathan.altman@Dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth Dante Project	  voice: 603-646-2633
301 Bartlett Hall
HB 6087
Hanover, NH 03755

wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Bill Buikema) (05/11/89)

In article <111900060@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I've got a better line on them!!
>Technology Works in Austin, TX has 100ns, low profile SIMMs with a lifetime warranty for $159.  I am not associated with TW, but I have been immensely happy    with the service I have received in previous orders.
>
>Jeff
>jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

I just called Data Memory Systems Co. in Lawrence, MA, and they quoted me a
price of $150 for 100ns low profile SIMMs with a lifetime warranty. Their
number is (800)662-SIMM.  I have no association with DMS, but I may soon
order some of their SIMMs.

Bill Buikema     wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (05/12/89)

I got 2 1mb simms from the Chip Merchant in San Diego three weeks ago.
$179 each.  They're working fine, no problems other than installation.
(I couldn't find a torx screwdriver with a long shank, so I ended up
buying a standard screwdriver, melting off the handle with a
soldering gun, and using the shank and a wrench to get the screws out.
What fun.)  Only strange thing was that Chip Merchant don't take any
credit cards, they only ship COD.

--

		James Moore
			jamesm@sco.com

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (05/17/89)

In article <18112@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:
>>I've got a line on some 1Mb SIMMs for any Macintosh (100 ns access)
>>for $200.  Call 707-257-3909 before May 19, leave message.

American Micro Distributor's, Inc is selling low profile SIMMs at $179 for 120ns
and $189 for 100ns.  What makes this price even better is that they will buy
back your 256k SIMMs.  The credit is as follows, $25 for 120ns and $20 for
150ns.  Their SIMMs come with a life time guarantee.  There are also discounts
for quantity.  Phone is (714) 840-5560 or (714) 846-0570.  Anybody else know of
any other deals?

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

I am not affiliated with American Micro, I'm just a happy customer.