[comp.sys.mac] Printing reduced screen shots

tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (05/17/89)

What is the best way (or any way) to place a screen shot
or other bitmaps into a word processor (like MS Word),
and proporionally reduce the bitmap, and then print it
on a Laserwriter or other higher resolution device so
that the PIXELS them selves are reduced, not just the bitmap
(this way the bitmap is still clear on a high resolution
output device).  Printing bitmap on a Laserwriter, and having
the Laserwriter reduce the image works great, bu how about
reducing the size of a bitmap to start with, placinging
in a word processor document, and then printing it out.
(The only thing I get is a crappy looking bitmap).

:-------------------------------------------------------------------------:
:              | GEnie:       T.CARSTENSEN  | tomc@pdx.MENTOR.COM         :
:  Thomas      | Delphi:      CARSTENSEN    | ...{sequent,tessi,attunix,  :
:  Carstensen  | CompuServe:  73627,2762    |     apollo}!mntgfx!tomc     :
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------:
:                      If you are sick and tired, of all your dreadful    :
:                      dimensions, let me stretch your TIME!              :
:                                                    - Time Operator      :
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------:

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (05/18/89)

In article <1989May16.103454.813@mntgfx.mentor.com> tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>What is the best way (or any way) to place a screen shot
>or other bitmaps into a word processor (like MS Word),
>and proporionally reduce the bitmap, and then print it
>on a Laserwriter or other higher resolution device so
>that the PIXELS them selves are reduced, not just the bitmap
>(this way the bitmap is still clear on a high resolution
>output device).  Printing bitmap on a Laserwriter, and having
>the Laserwriter reduce the image works great, bu how about
>reducing the size of a bitmap to start with, placinging
>in a word processor document, and then printing it out.
>(The only thing I get is a crappy looking bitmap).

Well, Bitmaps pasted into Fullwrite and then reduced behave this way.  It
was a total (and very pleasant) suprise to see all my bitmaps print out in bea-
utiful clarity after I had resigned myself to cruddy ones when I realized I
needed to reduce them to make them fit in the context I was using them.

Note though, this should not be construed as a sweeping endorsement of
Fullwrite.  I did one major Document in it after the official release and,
in spite of the many features I really loved, I have not returned because
of all the bugs I had to contend with.

Josh

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street