[comp.sys.mac] Trash directory

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (05/18/89)

In article <1752@internal.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>Both the desktop and the trash will be implemented as special directories
>in System 7.0.  Also, the trash is not emptied automatically by the Finder;
>the user must use the Empty Trash command.

This may seem a silly question but...

If the Trash is a special directory, and there's only one Trash Can on
the desktop, does that mean that when I delete a file from a floppy it
is copied to the trash directory on the boot disk before being removed
from the floppy?  (Naah, that would be stupid.  Surely the Trash Can
icon represents the various trash directories on all mounted disks in
some intuitive way.  Right?)

Also, when you Empty Trash, does it empty the trash directory on all
mounted disks, just the boot disk, or what?  It would be nice to be
able to, for example, free up space on a floppy without emptying the
trash on the hard disk...

Thanks, Apple people, for providing answers to our questions.  This is
great!

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>