[comp.sys.mac] Tetris problems

mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Stuard) (05/16/89)

 just purchased tetris from Spectrum Holobyte and am having trouble with
the sound portion of the game (it has none.)  both sound and continuous
sound are selected.  Anyone know a quick fix?  I called spectrum and
they want the disk back so they can test/fix/replace it.  I want my
sound NOW!!  8-)

  There is one clue one of the music files has a strange title,
something like .jlks (maybe) can't remember for sure so a list of all
the files would be helpful.

ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) (05/17/89)

From article <612@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, by mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
(Mike Stuard):
>  just purchased tetris from Spectrum Holobyte and am having trouble with
> the sound portion of the game (it has none.)  both sound and continuous
> sound are selected.  Anyone know a quick fix?  ...

The quickest way to get TETRIS not to produce sound, or to produce sound that
is intermittent and hence very wierd, is to run TETRIS with MultiFinder, AND
some application other than Finder and TETRIS in memory.  The only way I've
been able to run TETRIS is with it the only application in memory.  I'm still
working on trying to get the TETRIS windows on my Mac II color system to match
the picture on the back of the TETRIS package.  All my images are grey-scale
rather than colored.

--
TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (05/18/89)

#From article <612@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, by mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
#(Mike Stuard):
#  just purchased tetris from Spectrum Holobyte and am having trouble with
# the sound portion of the game (it has none.)  both sound and continuous
# sound are selected.  Anyone know a quick fix?  ...

Put Tetris and all the different sound files in ONE folder; i.e don't
use sub-folders to hide the sound files. Apparantly Tetris expects a MFS
disk to run on, so if you stuck it on your harddisk it can't find the
sound files.

--Kees
/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */
/* keeshu@nikhefk.uucp or {..!uunet.uu.net}!mcvax!nikhefk!keeshu	*/
/* National Institute for Nuclear Physics and High-Energy Physics	*/
/* P.O.Box 4395, 1009 AJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands,phone:+31205920124	*/
/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (05/18/89)

In article <2657@ssc-vax.UUCP> ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) writes:
>From article <612@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, by mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
>(Mike Stuard):
>>  just purchased tetris from Spectrum Holobyte and am having trouble with
>> the sound portion of the game (it has none.)  both sound and continuous
>> sound are selected.  Anyone know a quick fix?  ...
>
>The quickest way to get TETRIS not to produce sound, or to produce sound that
>is intermittent and hence very wierd, is to run TETRIS with MultiFinder, AND
>some application other than Finder and TETRIS in memory.  The only way I've
>been able to run TETRIS is with it the only application in memory.  I'm still

Since it's a pain to reboot under Finder just to play a game and since
Finder will going away in 7.0, it would nice to have a method of
turning off task switching.  The user should be able to say that he
wants to play Tetris or AFT or anything else that uses continuous
sound or animation without disruption.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.