[comp.sys.mac] Apple's System 7.0 Q&A

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (05/18/89)

In article <4067@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>In article <1788@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman@endor.UUCP (benjamin Waldman) writes:
> I wonder why Apple is so intent on singling out Microsoft, especially
> since Adobe recently announced that it didn't intend to adhere to
> Apple's new outline font technology, preferring to stay with its own
> technology.  Could it be the lawsuit? Hmm.
>
>Well, I think Adobe is finally in deep yogurt anyway, given that Bitstream
>claims to have "cracked" the Adobe font encryption scheme.  I can see
>PostScript processors going the way of the IBM BIOS real soon now ...

First of all, that is extremely cruel and unfair to compare a
Postscript processor to an IBM BIOS.  If Bitstream has "cracked"
Adobe's font encryption scheme, then, wouldn't it stand to reason that
they are planning to use Postscript fonts?  Also, there are other
capabilies (understatement) of Postscript besides printing outline
fonts.  Even just considering text, the first relase of Apple's
outline fonts will not support non-uniform scaling, rotated text or
text on a curve.  I agree that this is not good new (another
understatement) for Adobe, but, I also don't see Postscript printers
becoming obsolete immediately upon the release of System 7.0.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.