[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 QuickSwith probs

jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) (05/14/89)

Help! I just received Word 4.0, bundled with SuperPaint, and am
trying to use the "quickSwitch" feature. I have followed the
documentation meticulously, but every time I get the message
"no paint or draw program active," despite the fact that I start
the program =before= I start Word, let alone before I select the
graphic. I have tried with this SuperPaint =and= MacDraw II with
the same results. I have started Word first and second, with the
same results. I have tried new and existing drawings, with the same
results.

It's broke. It don't work. Argggh.

--
Thirty thousand mighty suns shone down in a soul- *jfbrule@nova.npac.syr.edu
searing splendor that was more frighteningly cold **************************

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (05/15/89)

You must have MultiFinder turned on to use QuickSwitch.  If you did have
MF turned on, then I don't know what the problem is...

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) (05/16/89)

In article <13058@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:

>You must have MultiFinder turned on to use QuickSwitch.  If you did have
>MF turned on, then I don't know what the problem is...

MultiFinder was indeed on <sigh> - I followed =all= instructions
to the letter, in every logical variation I could construct, and
still got the message :no application active"

Groan....

Can anyone help? Has anyone successfully used QuickSwitch under 4.0???

--

hik@brunix (Hisato Kato) (05/17/89)

In article <1565@cmx.npac.syr.edu> jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) writes:
>Can anyone help? Has anyone successfully used QuickSwitch under 4.0???

I guess you have been trying to switch between SuperPaint and Word 4
by just typing in cmd-, (command key + comma).  In order for this to work,
you've got to have pasted a SuperPaint graphic into Word4 with "Paste
Link..." command.  Normal Paste (cmd-V) is no good.  Select the graphic you
"Paste Link"ed and press cmd-, (command key + comma).  At least
this works for me with Word 4.0 and SuperPaint 2.0.

It's a good idea to turn on "Show Hidden Text" option while you use
QuickSwitch.  Word4 prefixes "Paste Link"ed graphics with special
identification sentence in hidden text, which QuickSwitch uses
for application switching.  If you delete this sentence, QuickSwitch
no longer works.

	Hisato Kato ( hik@cs.brown.edu )

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (05/19/89)

In article <6592@brunix.UUCP> hik@cs.brown.edu (Hisato Kato) writes:
|In article <1565@cmx.npac.syr.edu> jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) writes:
|>Can anyone help? Has anyone successfully used QuickSwitch under 4.0???
|
|I guess you have been trying to switch between SuperPaint and Word 4
|by just typing in cmd-, (command key + comma).  In order for this to work,
|you've got to have pasted a SuperPaint graphic into Word4 with "Paste
|Link..." command.

There's more.  I tried it with Excel 1.5 and it worked; I tried it
with SuperPaint 1.1MS (that's what the one that comes with Word calls
itself) and it failed.

So I read the (SP) manual.  It turns out you can't just draw a picture
and link it; you have to have saved the drawing to a named file.  If
you try to Cut or Copy from a named file in SuperPaint and Paste Link
it into Word, all the Quickswitch stuff works.

In fact, when I quit from SuperPaint and later did a QuickSwitch from
Word, it started up SuperPaint for me.

	/JBL
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com