[comp.sys.mac] Using MultiFinder as Switcher

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (05/08/89)

 I think this has been discussed before. Is there any way to "Quit" Finder
under MultiFinder and use the memory that was allocated?  I.e. is there a
way to get MultiFinder to work as it's ancestor (Switcher)?

     /Olle

Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) (05/08/89)

 Olle -

There is a program called MFLauncher, and a few tricks you can pull to keep Finder from ever being loaded [you can't QUIT it under MF].

Contact: Ricardo Guerra, Jr., Impossible Dreams, 2711 Brighton Place, Fullerton, CA 92633, at 714-738-7752.

-- Raines Cohen
 SYSOP, BMUG BBS

--
INTERNET:  bmug!User.Name@apple.COM UUCP: apple!bmug!User.Name

Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) (05/08/89)

 Olle -

There is a program called MFLauncher, and a few tricks you can pull to keep Finder from ever being loaded [you can't QUIT it under MF].

Contact: Ricardo Guerra, Jr., Impossible Dreams, 2711 Brighton Place, Fullerton, CA 92633, at 714-738-7752.

-- Raines Cohen
 SYSOP, BMUG BBS

--
Via  apple!mailcom, Fido 1:204/444

jakob@nada.kth.se (Jakob Cederlund) (05/18/89)

Of course you can exit the finder in MF, as long as you have other applications
running. If you break out to MacsBug from finder you can give the "es" command.
There is also an fkey that will do it.

If you haven't got finder running it will start again when you exit the last
application.

/Jakob Cederlund

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/19/89)

In article <2662@osiris.sics.se> ollef@sics.se () writes:

> I think this has been discussed before. Is there any way to "Quit" Finder
>under MultiFinder and use the memory that was allocated?  I.e. is there a
>way to get MultiFinder to work as it's ancestor (Switcher)?

The easy way is to make yourself an FKEY (which you place in your system file)
using resedit. Just put in the two bytes A9F4, which is the trap for
ExitToShell. Experimentation has shown that it is completely safe to use this
in the Finder (though your last few icon or window drags might not be
remembered).

The good news is that this will quit the finder. When you quit your last
application, multifinder will relaunch the finder automatically.

The bad news is that this will leave a memory hole where the finder was. You
can fill this with an app no larger than the finder. But then, you want to
use two (or more) programs in a limited memory space, and one is probably
pretty small. If not, try to find one of the tiny finder substitutes and use
it in place of the finder.

One trick that would probably work is using DA Handler as the Finder and
launching all your other apps with OnCue or DiskTools II. I haven't tried
that myself though.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}