[comp.sys.mac] Does a Mac command-line file interface exist?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (05/14/89)

My roommate has an Amiga, and its user interface has imppressed me for a long
time.  It has a Workbench very similar to the Mac's Finder, but he can at any
time create a CLI - a command line interface, which is a resizeable, moveable
window into which he can type Unix commands to move around in the directory
hierarchy, list directories, print files, run programs, and do all sorts of
other things you normally see on a Unix system.  Thus his machine is not
totally dependent on a graphic interface; he can accomplish the same things
by either pointing-and-clicking or typing.  Both approaches have their
advantages.

I realized the other day that the Mac might benefit from this kind of dual
interface.  Does any sort of CLI exist for the Mac?  I don't see that it would
be terribly difficult to make a DA (or perhaps an application to run under
Multifinder) that could parse typed commands and relay them on to the file
handler, so I'd be surprised if this sort of thing had not been tried before.

Trouble is, I can't find any examples of it.  Could someone point me in the
right direction - show me where to find such a program as I seek, send me one,
or send me code which might help me create my own CLI interface program?

I'd appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer!

--
| Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power  | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering   / Triforces! \ Courage  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (05/14/89)

In article <8410@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
[...]
>I realized the other day that the Mac might benefit from this kind of dual
>interface.  Does any sort of CLI exist for the Mac?  I don't see that it would
>be terribly difficult to make a DA (or perhaps an application to run under
>Multifinder) that could parse typed commands and relay them on to the file
>handler, so I'd be surprised if this sort of thing had not been tried before.
>
>Trouble is, I can't find any examples of it.  Could someone point me in the
>right direction - show me where to find such a program as I seek, send me one,
>or send me code which might help me create my own CLI interface program?
>
>--
>| Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power  | bskendig                   |

I am definitely interested in any progress you may have on this query.
Please e-mail or post any information you have received on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (05/14/89)

Mac Programmer's Workshop (from Apple/APDA) has a complete
commandline interface.  In general similar to Unix, but differs
in many details. Can be purchased alone for $100, or in conjunction
with the compiler of your choice.
   My ArcMac file compressor/decompressor has the start of a
command line interface, based on MS-DOS style.  I have never
finished/distributed the complete command-line i'face, due to
lack of interest in the Mac community.  ArcMac is shareware,
and you can obtain the current release at InfoMac archives
(ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu) or on Compu$erve (go MacPro, DL 8).
-- Don

Don Gilbert : dogStar Software
<BitNet> GilbertD@IUBACS  <InterNet>GilbertD@Gold.Bacs.Indiana.Edu

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (05/15/89)

From article <8410@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig):
> My roommate has an Amiga, and its user interface has imppressed me for a long
> time.  It has a Workbench very similar to the Mac's Finder, but he can at any
> time create a CLI - a command line interface, which is a resizeable, moveable
> window into which he can type Unix commands to move around in the directory
> hierarchy, list directories, print files, run programs, and do all sorts of
> other things you normally see on a Unix system.  Thus his machine is not
> totally dependent on a graphic interface; he can accomplish the same things
> by either pointing-and-clicking or typing.  Both approaches have their
> advantages.
>
> I realized the other day that the Mac might benefit from this kind of dual
> interface.  Does any sort of CLI exist for the Mac?  I don't see that it would
> be terribly difficult to make a DA (or perhaps an application to run under
> Multifinder) that could parse typed commands and relay them on to the file
> handler, so I'd be surprised if this sort of thing had not been tried before.
>
> Trouble is, I can't find any examples of it.  Could someone point me in the
> right direction - show me where to find such a program as I seek, send me one,
> or send me code which might help me create my own CLI interface program?
>
> I'd appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer!
>
> --
> | Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power  | bskendig                   |
> | Computer Engineering   / Triforces! \ Courage  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |
> | Princeton University  +----+ \/ +----+ Wisdom  | @PUCC.BITNET               |
> | "Estu la Forteco kun vi."  - Obi-Wan Kenobi    | @somewhere_past_Betelgeuse |

There is not one in the standard system, however, the Macintosh Programmer's
Workshop has a very good command-line-graphics combination.  Unfortuantely,
it's reall expensive if you aren't developing software (and even if you are).

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

ostroff@penelope.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) (05/16/89)

In article <13478@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:
>In article <8410@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>>
>>I realized the other day that the Mac might benefit from this kind of dual
>>interface.  Does any sort of CLI exist for the Mac?  I don't see that it would
:
:
>>Trouble is, I can't find any examples of it.  Could someone point me in the
>>right direction - show me where to find such a program as I seek, send me one,
>
>I am definitely interested in any progress you may have on this query.
>Please e-mail or post any information you have received on this matter.

Yes, it does exist.  Take a look at the Manx Aztec C shell program.  It is
an implementation of a UNIX bourne shell, and comes with (or used to, at
least) their "commercial" package.  Quite a number of the standard commands
are built into the shell, like ls, cd, pwd, mv, cp, rm, etc.  Lots of other
UNIX clones are supplied as standalones, like cmp, diff, grep, vi, etc....

It's somewhat slow, but it does the job....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director :::: System Operator, "The CallBoard" :::::
:::: Dept of Theatre, SUNY Oswego ::::: (315) 947-6414 300/1200/2400 baud :::::
::::: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU ::::: !rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (05/16/89)

In article <1232@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@penelope.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>>In article <8410@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>>>
>>>I realized the other day that the Mac might benefit from this kind of dual
>>>interface.  Does any sort of CLI exist for the Mac?  I don't see that it would
>
>Yes, it does exist.  Take a look at the Manx Aztec C shell program.  It is
>an implementation of a UNIX bourne shell, and comes with (or used to, at
>least) their "commercial" package.  Quite a number of the standard commands
>are built into the shell, like ls, cd, pwd, mv, cp, rm, etc.  Lots of other
>UNIX clones are supplied as standalones, like cmp, diff, grep, vi, etc....

I was going to mention Aztec C's Shell program if you hadn't beat me to
it. :-)  This program actually does do a fair job of emulating a UNIX
shell, providing many of the basic commands, and allowing some use of
environment modification using SET parameters.

The main problem that prevents the use of this shell in the manner that
the original posting described, as an add-on to the visual interface that
could be called up on the occasions when it'd be more useful, is that
Aztec C's Shell does not run properly under MultiFinder.

It's entirely possible that I'm having trouble with it under MultiFinder
due to some odd combination of the inits and so forth that I'm using, so
if anyone HAS had success with it under MultiFinder I'd like to hear
about it.  I don't think so, though; I've done extensive testing trying
to get it working under MF so I can use it more extensively.

If Manx could produce a separate version of this interface, perhaps as a
desk accessory, they could probably sell a number of copies of it.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

davis@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Arthur Davis x4675) (05/19/89)

In article <7954@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:

> I was going to mention Aztec C's Shell program if you hadn't beat me to
> it. :-)  This program actually does do a fair job of emulating a UNIX
> shell, providing many of the basic commands, and allowing some use of
> environment modification using SET parameters.
>
> The main problem that prevents the use of this shell in the manner that
> the original posting described, as an add-on to the visual interface that
> could be called up on the occasions when it'd be more useful, is that
> Aztec C's Shell does not run properly under MultiFinder.
>
> It's entirely possible that I'm having trouble with it under MultiFinder
> due to some odd combination of the inits and so forth that I'm using, so
> if anyone HAS had success with it under MultiFinder I'd like to hear
> about it.  I don't think so, though; I've done extensive testing trying
> to get it working under MF so I can use it more extensively.

I have Aztec C and it indeed is not at all Multifinder compatible.
I suppose this is balanced off by the fact that Aztec C can run on an
old 512K Mac, and that includes the source level debugger too.

If you are looking for a command line interface and MultiFinder friendliness,
you might consider MPW.  The CLI is not unix;  merely reminiscent of it
on the odd occasion.  But it is very powerful and VERY MF-friendly.  Forget
it on a 1 meg machine though.  If you have 2.5 MBs or better of RAM, you
might really benefit from MPW.  The MPW packages from APDA are kind of
pricey, but you can get excellent deals from 3rd party sources.  There is
an MPW version of Aztec C for example, which goes for the same $99 at
mail order prices.  TML Pascal comes with the latest MPW (3.0) and is
available mail order for the same price I think.  Neither offer includes
the MPW Assembler; only the compiler in question.  Aztec offers inline
assembler though if that is important to you.

By the way, the "forget it on a 1 MB machine" comment above refers to
using MPW under the MultiFinder.  MPW 3.0 does fine on a 1 MB machine under
the Finder.  The separately-available source-level debugger for MPW (SADE)
requires 2.5 MB of RAM and the MultiFinder.

P.S.  The not-a-sales-pitch department:

I don't work for, nor am I related to anyone in

   Apple
   Manx
   TML

I just happen to own MPW and Aztec C and have heard and seen nice things
about TML Pascal.